The Derby Way - A Progression

Alex W

I wouldn't consider this a rant, though it may come across as one. At the moment I'm more disheartened with Derby over the last two years than I ever have been (a comment that can be thrown around a little liberally on fan forums but a true statement in this case). I'm disheartened because I bought into something the club put forward as the future, at a time when we were faltering. I believed in that something and the future it promised, and, to put it humbly,  they've taken that theory and had a big **** right in the middle of it.

I'm not best pleased. 

The Derby Way. This was never a tangible thing with any specific meaning. A great many clubs have had magical spells in their history and luckily we're one of them. A lucky few of you all were around to see it. This 'Derby Way'  was at least however thrust forward as a new beginning, an intended staple of our play that I'm not sure harked back to anything more than successful days in the 70's when we were the envy of much of the country. Despite this I hoped, as intended, that it was a motto highlight and actively worked on Swansea-esque intention of building a style of play within the club that would bring back the magic that McClaren installed in his first season (and half of his second) and grow over time, with consecutive managers if necessary. Attractive and progressive football, something to show for our efforts beyond just a final result and a ball in a net once every ninety minites, an intention to excite and play the 'right way'. I'm not saying it's foolproof but when we lose trying to do so with a coherent plan I can live with it, I can live with the philosophy. 

My question to you good people is: Where the **** did that go and why is our current manager so clearly going in the completely opposite direction? Because that is where my major frustrations sit at the moment. It's where my apathy lies and where my anger at times rears its head as I made the stupid, probably naive decision to buy into it. Hook, line and sinker. 

Gary Rowett does not play progressive football. He plays percentage football. Apparently this was enough for a great many fans when winning. I disagree. I have not been happy, quite frankly, since the opening day. It panicked me. That panic has grown into disappointment and now apathy. Gary even seems to hold a disdain for that style, or at least comments made towards his own brand of football have irked him into taking shots at those who play progressive styles through quotes and interviews. His signings appear to support that theory, as do his decisions on players let go. 

Will Hughes was isolated last season and benched frequently. It's no surprise to me that he left. Martin has not been used anywhere nearly enough. I believe that may well be due to, much like Mr Pearson's reasoning, he doesn't run enough. Which Mr Jerome does wonderfully well. Unfortunately, Jerome isn't a patch on Martin and although a worker for the cause does not affect games as Martin did for us in his pomp. Key players from the intended Derby Way (both of whom McClaren intended to build the side through) that Gary deems not worth it for his style. 

I'm not an irrational or rash person. I understand Gary has his own style. I also understand that people enjoy football that I don't. Furthermore, I understand that my opinion as a singular fan doesn't matter beyond the overall fanbase viewpoint. What I would say however is that we've taken such a deviation from that spark of magic we saw in 2014 that it may well be unretrievable now if we even intended to implement it oncemore this summer. The average squad age, wage bill and now technically limited squad members all point towards that footballing philosophy, that Derby Way, being as dead as the hopes for a new dawn under McClaren almost five years ago. 

I don't directly care who leads it. I don't care who gets sacked, if it takes a season of playing kids or how many points it costs us next year. As a fan,  I want that footballing theory back. I want The Derby Way, such as it was, to be adhered to. And whoever the manager is, that manager must follow that theory with their own twist. We need a director of football to oversee that and a hierarchy to support it. All of this takes time but this is, in my eyes, how the club evolves. Our manager to manager/style to style approach that we're all aware of has not fallen as I'd have hoped when Gary was appointed. 

This is where all attentions must point this summer and it's where my eyes will firmly rest. Perhaps, finally, we should put in place that ideology that has gone missing since 2015. A cohesive transfer policy to match,  a style of football we can appreciate and a long term plab to match both. It's not too much to ask for, is it? 

But please, not as it sits now, with the current philosophy we see before us. Because if this is 'The Derby Way' that was heralded before us then we've fallen a long way from grace indeed. I expected a lot better this year.  And I hoped for even less. 

They have met neither expectation. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I wouldn't consider this a rant, though it may come across as one. At the moment I'm more disheartened with Derby over the last two years than I ever have been (a comment that can be thrown around a little liberally on fan forums but a true statement in this case). I'm disheartened because I bought into something the club put forward as the future, at a time when we were faltering. I believed in that something and the future it promised, and, to put it humbly,  they've taken that theory and had a big **** right in the middle of it.

I'm not best pleased. 

The Derby Way. This was never a tangible thing with any specific meaning. A great many clubs have had magical spells in their history and luckily we're one of them. A lucky few of you all were around to see it. This 'Derby Way'  was at least however thrust forward as a new beginning, an intended staple of our play that I'm not sure harked back to anything more than successful days in the 70's when we were the envy of much of the country. Despite this I hoped, as intended, that it was a mottoto highlight and actively worked on Swansea-esque intention of building a style of play within the club that would bring back the magic that McClaren installed in his first season (and half of his second) and grow over time, with consecutive managers if necessary. Attractive and progressive football, something to show for our efforts beyond just a final result and a ball in a net once every ninety minites, an intention to excite and play the 'right way'. I'm not saying it's foolproof but when we lose trying to do so with a coherent plan I can live with it, I can live with the philosophy. 

My question to you good people is: Where the **** did that go and why is our current manager so clearly going in the completely opposite direction? Because that is where my major frustrations sit at the moment. It's where my apathy lies and where my anger at times rears its head as I made the stupid, naive decision to buy into it. Hook, line and sinker. 

Gary Rowett does not play progressive football. He plays percentage football. Apparently this was enough for a great many fans when winning. I disagree. I have not been happy, quite frankly, since the opening day. It panicked me. That panic has grown into disappointment and now apathy. Gary even seems to hold a disdain for that style, or at least comments made towards his own brand of football have irked him into taking shots at those who play progressive styles through quotes and interviews. His signings appear to support that theory, as do his decisions on players let go. 

Will Hughes was isolated last season and benched frequently. It's no surprise to me that he left. Martin has not been used anywhere nearly enough. I believe that may well be due to, much like Mr Pearson's reasoning, he doesn't run enough. Which Mr Jerome does wonderfully well. Unfortunately, Jerome isn't a patch on Martin and although a worker for the cause does not affect games as Martin did for us in his pomp. Key players from the intended Derby Way (both of whom McClaren intended to build the side through) that Gary deems not worth it for his style. 

I'm not an irrational or rash person. I understand Gary has his own style. I also understand that people enjoy football that I don't. Furthermore, I understand that my opinion as a singular fan doesn't matter beyond the overall fanbase viewpoint. What I would say however is that we've taken such a deviation from that spark of magic we saw in 2014 that it may well be unretrievable now if we even intended to implement it oncemore this summer. The average squad age, wage bill and now technically limited squad members all point towards that footballing philosophy, that Derby Way, being as dead as the hopes for a new dawn under McClaren almost five years ago. 

I don't directly care who leads it. I don't care who gets sacked, if it takes a season of playing kids or how many points it costs us next year. As a fan,  I want that footballing theory back. I want The Derby Way, such as it was, to be adhered to. And whoever the manager is, that manager must follow that theory with their own twist. We need a director of football to oversee that and a hierarchy to support it. All of this takes time but this is, in my eyes, how the club evolves. Our manager to manager/style to style approach that we're all aware of has not fallen as I'd have hoped when Gary was appointed. 

This is where all attentions must point this summer and it's where my eyes will firmly rest. Perhaps, finally, we should put in place that ideology that has gone missing since 2015. A cohesive transfer policy to match,  a style of football we can appreciate and a long term plab to match both. It's not too much to ask for, is it? 

But please, not as it sits now, with the current philosophy we see before us. Because if this is 'The Derby Way' that was heralded before us then we've fallen a long way from grace indeed. I expected a lot better this year.  And I hoped for even less. 

Everything I think and feel about derby written down by another.

The 'derby way' of 2013/14 brought me back to derby with its beautiful and often breathtaking football after years of dull drudgery.....

Is there anyway of ensuring Mel reads and digests this....because he absolutely needs to.

In fact he needs it pinning to his office wall (if he has one) at pride park because we aren't derby at the minute,we are less than ordinary with no identity and that's a crying shame.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The 'derby way' of 2013/14 brought me back to derby with its beautiful and often breathtaking football after years of dull drudgery.....

Is there anyway of ensuring Mel reads and digests this....because he absolutely needs to.

In fact he needs it pinning to his office wall (if he has one) at pride park because we aren't derby at the minute,we are less than ordinary with no identity and that's a crying shame.

We were so close to that and on a small budget at that time too. An abundance of riches only dragged us further away from realising that potential. A real mess of an attempt. Well meant but badly put together throughout. 

This is exactly my point of view too, let's be honest, the football has been dire this season. Am I the only one who thought when we beat Hull 5-0 that it was a great result but a poor footballing performance? It is crazy to write that but I could name many other games too. Infact I don't think we have put in a quality football performance all season. We have achieved some great results by being well organized and hard to beat. Now we can't even do that. 

We are so far from the 13/14 style, such a shame as I was convinced it only need a few minor tweaks to get us promoted. 

This Derby Way “vision”...weren’t we going to have a footballing philosophy that ran through every level of the club ?

Weren’t future head coaches to be recruited that followed the same philosophy making changes seemless ? 

It seems to me it was nothing more than a load of spin old Alister Campbell himself would have been proud of. Furthermore, all it has achieved (in my opinion) is division of the fan base. 

Last night for example, there was one member claiming the football was fine under Rowett (which is cool if that’s what he believes) then getting irate and making personal remarks to another not pleased with it. I’ve never known this forum less united towards the cause.

Cut the nonsense and just be straight with us, we don’t treat the board like they are idiots, a bit of the same treatment back wouldn’t go amiss. 

6 hours ago, Alex W said:

We were so close to that and on a small budget at that time too. An abundance of riches only dragged us further away from realising that potential. A real mess of an attempt. Well meant but badly put together throughout. 

you original post ..excellent. With Mel Morris  the "Derby Way" is just a nauseous advertising slogan rather than meaning anything. Still he had to say something when sacking Clement.

6 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

This Derby Way “vision”...weren’t we going to have a footballing philosophy that ran through every level of the club ?

Weren’t future head coaches to be recruited that followed the same philosophy making changes seemless ? 

It seems to me it was nothing more than a load of spin old Alister Campbell himself would have been proud of. Furthermore, all it has achieved (in my opinion) is division of the fan base. 

Last night for example, there was one member claiming the football was fine under Rowett (which is cool if that’s what he believes) then getting irate and making personal remarks to another not pleased with it. I’ve never known this forum less united towards the cause.

Cut the nonsense and just be straight with us, we don’t treat the board like they are idiots, a bit of the same treatment back wouldn’t go amiss. 

This regime have become kings of spin.. People have lapped up Morris an his merry men at these fan meetings but they are never really challenged even against what they said in the previous fans forum.. 

The OP is spot on and I have said many times, what is our philosophy as a club. Morris keeps changing his mind, people moan about Pearson etc but they are brought in to do a certain job. 

Bring back GSE.

It meks mi sick .. I love Derby and the thought that the players are millionaires and when they loose does it meks any difference to em? I reckon not. They are here for a short period of time , we are here forever. £35 MILLION WAGE BILL........WTF ?.

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This regime have become kings of spin.. People have lapped up Morris an his merry men at these fan meetings but they are never really challenged even against what they said in the previous fans forum.. 

The OP is spot on and I have said many times, what is our philosophy as a club. Morris keeps changing his mind, people moan about Pearson etc but they are brought in to do a certain job. 

Bring back GSE.

Got to be honest, I was horrified at Pearson’s appointment. All I know is for me, we sunk to a new low on Friday night. 1-4 at home to Sunderland for goodness sake. 

I don’t have the answers to what’s happening this time but man, it’s a sorry state of affairs. Yeah, yeah we’re still fifth and all that jazz but that was as poor a performance than I can remember.

I think we're reading too much into "The Derby Way". This was nothing more than a quickly put together excuse because he had to sack Clement. Since then Mel Morris has been aggressively chasing promotion at all costs with the appointment of Mac 2, Pearson & Rowett. Buying Cameron Jerome in January... Mel wants us in the Prem regardless of style. Always has.

10 hours ago, Alex W said:

I'm not best pleased. 

The Derby Way. This was never a tangible thing with any specific meaning. A great many clubs have had magical spells in their history and luckily we're one of them. A lucky few of you all were around to see it. This 'Derby Way'  was at least however thrust forward as a new beginning, an intended staple of our play that I'm not sure harked back to anything more than successful days in the 70's when we were the envy of much of the country. Despite this I hoped, as intended, that it was a motto highlight and actively worked on Swansea-esque intention of building a style of play within the club that would bring back the magic that McClaren installed in his first season (and half of his second) and grow over time, with consecutive managers if necessary. Attractive and progressive football, something to show for our efforts beyond just a final result and a ball in a net once every ninety minites, an intention to excite and play the 'right way'. I'm not saying it's foolproof but when we lose trying to do so with a coherent plan I can live with it, I can live with the philosophy. 

My question to you good people is: Where the **** did that go and why is our current manager so clearly going in the completely opposite direction? Because that is where my major frustrations sit at the moment. It's where my apathy lies and where my anger at times rears its head as I made the stupid, probably naive decision to buy into it. Hook, line and sinker. 

I totally agree with you Alex W.

We seem to have gambled big time this year on 'one final push' to 'get us over the line' to the Premier League, through concentrating on experience and sacrificing any sort of long term vision. To me that is very sad but others seem fine with it saying Gary needs time. They may be right but unfortunately I'm beginning to think that the longer he stays the greater the damage there will be to our club.

I want Derby to win matches of course I do, but I want us to play football that is enjoyable to watch too where we are trying to control the game in some way. Vydra's goal was excellent the other night but it was opportunistic. IMO we should be trying to have some control of games but at the moment it all seems haphazard. On our run to second how many games did we really control?  I'm a positive person but also a realist. I know we will lose matches but if I can see a plan of what we are trying to do the losing is easier to take, particularly if we are 'having a go'.  

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I think we're reading too much into "The Derby Way". This was nothing more than a quickly put together excuse because he had to sack Clement. Since then Mel Morris has been aggressively chasing promotion at all costs with the appointment of Mac 2, Pearson & Rowett. Buying Cameron Jerome in January... Mel wants us in the Prem regardless of style. Always has.

Unfortunately I think you're right Parsnip. With the current 'plan' though I would not be surprised if our time there is very short!

13 hours ago, Alex W said:

Honestly, I agree with a lot of your sentiment on playing style and would love our club to have a tangible identity like the Derby way (even though it’s a dumb name).

But even if you have no issue with Rowett’s style of play, I think there is absolutely no way you can deny that we are in desperate need of a Director of Football.

I’d say the biggest monkey on our back is the disjointed squad that don’t suit each other because Mel has (rightly) backed each manager’s vision, signing some absolute dross in the process and even when we’ve signed good players, they are players who don’t neccesarilly compliment each other.

We can’t continue letting managers make the signings, it’s completely unrealistic. It may only be the championship but the stakes here are just as high as at United, Chelsea or City, it’s not an environment for stability and managers getting time build anything.

I’m baffled that managers are still allowed to make such big decisions with transfers. Regardless of how good of a bloke they are, managers make decisions to help their own success not neccesarilly for the long term success of the club; hence all the experienced players we’ve continued to rack up under Rowett.

And it only makes the next managers job so much harder when the previous manager had a completely different vision to them. That’s the issue we need to remove to make progress, none of this bottlers or not enough character stuff.

That’s why we need a Director of Football handling the style and personnel.

Let them set a club style, I don’t even care if it’s the Derby way or the Rowett way really, as long as it provides continuity regardless of who the head coach is or what league we’re in etc

Only buy players who suit that style, play that style up and down the club from the first team to the U10’s so that academy players have a realistic chance of fitting into a head coaches first team plans. That’s a way we could be a club that still integrates youth products while sustaining a promotion push.

Only bring in head coaches (not managers) who want to come and play that way. You’ll see the life expectancy of our managerial appointments absolutely soar once they’re coming into a squad that suits them.

Remember how McClaren came in after Clough? All the players suited him because Clough had been building the squad with a philosophy similar to McClaren’s for years, all McClaren needed was some slight adjustments and we actually benefited from sacking a manager instead of going backwards.

That’s how it would be every time a new head coach was appointed. Having a head coach sacked wouldn’t mean 2 seasons of trying to build a squad that suits him, he’d make a few changes for his interpretation of the vision and off we’d go.

And I’m not suggesting this is a way for us to continuously cycle through coaches, riding new manager waves, I think you’d find once we found the right coach they’d stand a much better chance of success at the club long-term.

It doesn’t even have to be the original Derby way, I’d love it if we copied Spurs, who switch between a 4-2-3-1 and playing 5 at the back. That’s something Rowett might be suitable to implement but in all honesty he’s a proud man, if we changed the structure of the club like this and took away a lot of his power, he wouldn’t want to be here anymore.

I said that I wouldn’t rush to sack Rowett because he’s been systemically set up to fail.

Changing to a Director of Football would be a way to systemically set up to win.

14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Which is down to the owner of this football club. We knocked the yanks for being “all style and no substance” under this incompetent buffoon we are neither..... once everyone sees that the better. I’m fair game if you don’t agree. 

26 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Which is down to the owner of this football club. We knocked the yanks for being “all style and no substance” under this incompetent buffoon we are neither..... once everyone sees that the better. I’m fair game if you don’t agree. 

I certainly don't think he's a buffoon, he has however hired badly and this hiring doesn't follow in line with his 'Derby Way' whatsoever from all evidence presented. 

I do believe Gary is aware of the style of football required of him. We have been a long way from that all season. Key cogs that could play that style have been removed for his often effecient but boring play style. 

I'm sure Mel has thoughts on it. If Mel comes out as happy with this football himself then that's a different matter and I too will take more of an aim. 

5 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I read that thread and never saw personal remarks or irate posters on either side of the debate!

Could you cite the examples I missed? 

All I can say is that I find it incredible that someone who is a multi-millionaire, can seemingly be so bad at running a business like MM has been since he took over the club. 

In January he'll say it's all about the Derby Way, then he'll go and sack someone because results haven't been good enough. Then he'll sack the next person because performances haven't been good enough, even thought the results are. Then he'll sack the next person because he has no faith in them despite the fact they're on track to achieve the target set by MM they were hired. 

In any other business he'd have gone bankrupt, been forced out by the board of directors or at least been told to calm the **** down. 

Rowett to go and be replaced by Jaap Stam, who gets us playing beautiful football but, due to not being able to score for ****, we find ourselves 19th in March. Stam falls out with Morris and is replaced by Darren Wassall, who saves us from relegation and remains our manager for eternity. 

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think Mel genuinely prefers the Derby way that was but has been panicked by the failures in terms of wanting/needing a return on his money. Gary's vision presumably persuaded Mel a different approach was needed.

Mel probably won't acknowledge it but subconsciously (based on his recent comments) he is probably taking the club back to something like the period under Clough jnr. In fact, in some ways Nigel might be better equipped for the future downscaling activities at PP than Rowett. 

Archived