The Derby Way - A Progression

Alex W

Gentleman please, let's agree to disagree and stop distracting from the adulation my post was getting.

Gary's post match comments regarding "We attempted to play football and lost 4-1" were alarming after the Preston game but he seems to taking such comments as mine to heart. If that was indeed an attempt to play football vs Sunderland than he has rather shot himself in the foot there as that in of itself should not be a problem whatsoever to him with this squad.

We shall see how the rest of this season's football pans out. I can't see this lasting into next summer. Here's to a much needed improvement following Preston. We won't get such luck every week. (Also, on a positive note, shout out to Joe Ledley who seems a very calming influence in the side, he needs to play as much as possible in the final run-in).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether GR likes it or not, IMO 'the reality is' at no point in the Friday night debacle did we try to play football. We set up defensively at home to a team with less confidence than us and allowed them to grow in confidence as a result.

5 hours ago, Alex W said:

Gentleman please, let's agree to disagree and stop distracting from the adulation my post was getting.

Gary's post match comments regarding "We attempted to play football and lost 4-1" were alarming after the Preston game but he seems to taking such comments as mine to heart. If that was indeed an attempt to play football vs Sunderland than he has rather shot himself in the foot there as that in of itself should not be a problem whatsoever to him with this squad.

We shall see how the rest of this season's football pans out. I can't see this lasting into next summer. Here's to a much needed improvement following Preston. We won't get such luck every week. (Also, on a positive note, shout out to Joe Ledley who seems a very calming influence in the side, he needs to play as much as possible in the final run-in).

It's not the first time he's said that about 'playing football '......which is concerning.

Are we destined to forever watch this apparently 'non football' forever,or is gary looking to introduce 'football' at some time in the future?

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's not the first time he's said that about 'playing football '......which is concerning.

Are we destined to forever watch this apparently 'non football' forever,or is gary looking to introduce 'football' at some time in the future?

Mate it’s not been the most flowing football at times but it has been mighty effective. 

I am sure Gary knows what football is I mean he played in Derbys Jim Smith promotion team. 

Rome wasn’t built in a day it took Brian Clough longer than Gary has had at Derby to get it right. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mate it’s not been the most flowing football at times but it has been mighty effective. 

I am sure Gary knows what football is I mean he played in Derbys Jim Smith promotion team. 

Rome wasn’t built in a day it took Brian Clough longer than Gary has had at Derby to get it right. 

I hope so curtains,I don't want to be watching this next season,effective as it was through part of the year.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I hope so curtains,I don't want to be watching this next season,effective as it was last year.

Surprising what a win can give a team after a struggle. 

Confidence in football cannot be underestimated .

When a team is confident they can express themselves more on the ball   

Defeats eat away at you  

Brian Clough took Derby 3 years to get us promoted  

Patience is a virtue  

PS I’m a fine one to talk. 

10 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Whether GR likes it or not, IMO 'the reality is' at no point in the Friday night debacle did we try to play football. We set up defensively at home to a team with less confidence than us and allowed them to grow in confidence as a result.

Yes I expect GR was clutching at straws, anything to try and make sense of that calamitous performance against hapless Sunderland.

Considering confidence has taken such a beating recently, its no surprise the standard of football has tailed off. Previous to that, we were playing some decent stuff though. For instance at home to Leeds (a much better team than Sunderland), we carved them open time & time again and really should have scored 5. Whilst Rowett's style is never going to be as easy on the eye as McClaren's first spell, its very harsh to label it as hoofball.

Interesting also that the OP references the team of the early 70's as a template for the 'Derby Way'. Clough's team was built to be resilient & defensively sound first & foremost - McFarland & Todd were the 2 players who were gained regular England recognition. He also wasn't afraid to be pragmatic when needed - I.e watering the pitch before we smashed Benfica in 1973 or when Forest strangled Hamburg to win in 1980. 

Long term, I see Rowett's team as a high energy & powerful team, capable of devastating counter attacks - not a team that dictates tempo or dominates possession. I've no problem with that so long as its proactive & accurate. Once confidence returns & Rowett looks to freshen the team up in the summer, I expect this to be the norm - not the scratchy displays we've seen recently.

23 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Considering confidence has taken such a beating recently, its no surprise the standard of football has tailed off. Previous to that, we were playing some decent stuff though. For instance at home to Leeds (a much better team than Sunderland), we carved them open time & time again and really should have scored 5. Whilst Rowett's style is never going to be as easy on the eye as McClaren's first spell, its very harsh to label it as hoofball.

Interesting also that the OP references the team of the early 70's as a template for the 'Derby Way'. Clough's team was built to be resilient & defensively sound first & foremost - McFarland & Todd were the 2 players who were gained regular England recognition. He also wasn't afraid to be pragmatic when needed - I.e watering the pitch before we smashed Benfica in 1973 or when Forest strangled Hamburg to win in 1980. 

Long term, I see Rowett's team as a high energy & powerful team, capable of devastating counter attacks - not a team that dictates tempo or dominates possession. I've no problem with that so long as its proactive & accurate. Once confidence returns & Rowett looks to freshen the team up in the summer, I expect this to be the norm - not the scratchy displays we've seen recently.

On the note of the 70's,apology if I wasn't clear enough but my point was the Derby Way merely seems to hark back to a successful period rather than making any direct comparisons, just as West Ham's own way harking back to their heyday. Rather than a direct comparison to the old days, I see our own way comparable to the sort of system we saw before us in 2014, or a similar, progressive game (Ajax mk2 seemed to be Steve's initial design). 

1 minute ago, Alex W said:

On the note of the 70's,apology if I wasn't clear enough but my point was the Derby Way merely seems to hark back to a successful period rather than making any direct comparisons, just as West Ham's own way harking back to their heyday. Rather than a direct comparison to the old days, I see our own way comparable to the sort of system we saw before us in 2014, or a similar, progressive game (Ajax mk2 seemed to be Steve's initial design). 

Thanks for clarifying - I maybe misread your point. 

It takes real vision and courage to stick to a philosophy of playing style & club identity - particularly where there are high expectations & results aren't going as hoped. You only have to read the knee jerk opinions on here after a defeat or unexpected draw. Its no coincidence to me that the clubs who have succeeded in establishing a framework have generally been smaller & not burdened with expectation - Swansea, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford - whereas we languish at this level along with a number of other well supported clubs.

Whilst I prefer progressive football (Burley's 04/05 team my favourite side of the millennium), I want to see Rowett's plan given every chance to succeed before we go down the route of managerial/squad upheaval yet again. That'd apply to any manager in charge at the moment.

Archived