The Derby Way - A Progression

Alex W

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Honestly, I agree with a lot of your sentiment on playing style and would love our club to have a tangible identity like the Derby way (even though it’s a dumb name).

But even if you have no issue with Rowett’s style of play, I think there is absolutely no way you can deny that we are in desperate need of a Director of Football.

I’d say the biggest monkey on our back is the disjointed squad that don’t suit each other because Mel has (rightly) backed each manager’s vision, signing some absolute dross in the process and even when we’ve signed good players, they are players who don’t neccesarilly compliment each other.

We can’t continue letting managers make the signings, it’s completely unrealistic. It may only be the championship but the stakes here are just as high as at United, Chelsea or City, it’s not an environment for stability and managers getting time build anything.

I’m baffled that managers are still allowed to make such big decisions with transfers. Regardless of how good of a bloke they are, managers make decisions to help their own success not neccesarilly for the long term success of the club; hence all the experienced players we’ve continued to rack up under Rowett.

And it only makes the next managers job so much harder when the previous manager had a completely different vision to them. That’s the issue we need to remove to make progress, none of this bottlers or not enough character stuff.

That’s why we need a Director of Football handling the style and personnel.

Let them set a club style, I don’t even care if it’s the Derby way or the Rowett way really, as long as it provides continuity regardless of who the head coach is or what league we’re in etc

Only buy players who suit that style, play that style up and down the club from the first team to the U10’s so that academy players have a realistic chance of fitting into a head coaches first team plans. That’s a way we could be a club that still integrates youth products while sustaining a promotion push.

Only bring in head coaches (not managers) who want to come and play that way. You’ll see the life expectancy of our managerial appointments absolutely soar once they’re coming into a squad that suits them.

Remember how McClaren came in after Clough? All the players suited him because Clough had been building the squad with a philosophy similar to McClaren’s for years, all McClaren needed was some slight adjustments and we actually benefited from sacking a manager instead of going backwards.

That’s how it would be every time a new head coach was appointed. Having a head coach sacked wouldn’t mean 2 seasons of trying to build a squad that suits him, he’d make a few changes for his interpretation of the vision and off we’d go.

And I’m not suggesting this is a way for us to continuously cycle through coaches, riding new manager waves, I think you’d find once we found the right coach they’d stand a much better chance of success at the club long-term.

It doesn’t even have to be the original Derby way, I’d love it if we copied Spurs, who switch between a 4-2-3-1 and playing 5 at the back. That’s something Rowett might be suitable to implement but in all honesty he’s a proud man, if we changed the structure of the club like this and took away a lot of his power, he wouldn’t want to be here anymore.

I said that I wouldn’t rush to sack Rowett because he’s been systemically set up to fail.

Changing to a Director of Football would be a way to systemically set up to win.

You should write a book :ph34r:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, europia said:

Mel probably won't acknowledge it but subconsciously (based on his recent comments) he is probably taking the club back to something like the period under Clough jnr. In fact, in some ways Nigel might be better equipped for the future downscaling activities at PP than Rowett. 

It comes to something when I look longingly at having Nigel here rather than our current manager

But I do.

For one thing he knew how to get bloody good players in on a shoestring.

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Match day thread from last night. You should know as you're quoting the poster.

Yeah I did know, was just being arsey because I don’t like your tone...or your avatar come to that.

The post I was referring to when your sidekick called TimBucktoo a **** has been deleted presumably because the mods thought it was a personal remark made when the author got irate as TimBucktoo had got the better of him.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Where the heck did you get that from?

Seems he said it after he moved. Read it from several sources but cannot verify it but if it's been reported several times from various sources there may be an element of truth

Forget all this talk of the Derby way. We are never going to play like Brazil, we haven't the players to be like Germany. What we don't have is luck.  We fall away every season through injuries, bad decisions by Refs, etc. We haven't become a bad team since the end of January, in most of the draws in our win less run we were the better team. How many drawn or won matches have we been the weaker or lucky team.

Our season is hanging on due not getting the right players in the last transfer window(like Cardiff and Fulham did) also losing Russell to USA, Winnall to injury and that is mainly down to luck. I sometimes wonder if we still have the gypsies curse from the 1890s aka kicking them off the Baseball ground. What we need is some LUCK. 

13 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Seems he said it after he moved. Read it from several sources but cannot verify it but if it's been reported several times from various sources there may be an element of truth

Or they've all spread the same 'unsourced' untruth!

16 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Yeah I did know, was just being arsey because I don’t like your tone...or your avatar come to that.

The post I was referring to when your sidekick called TimBucktoo a **** has been deleted presumably because the mods thought it was a personal remark made when the author got irate as TimBucktoo had got the better of him.

Well that's why I was asking. I didn't know there was a deleted post, hence why I asked you to cite one as there was no evidence of it and " my sidekick" as you put it should never have done that and was rightly modded. Sadly there's no evidence when posts are deleted!

You could have just said that instead of acting as you admit arsey.

looks like it's best to ignore your sort!

40 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Well that's why I was asking. I didn't know there was a deleted post, hence why I asked you to cite one as there was no evidence of it and " my sidekick" as you put it should never have done that and was rightly modded. Sadly there's no evidence when posts are deleted!

You could have just said that instead of acting as you admit arsey.

looks like it's best to ignore your sort!

Please do. :lol:

Archived