Craig Forsyth

Richard246

Devastated for fozzy, it was miraculous he made it back from his last one. Never been his biggest fan as a player though he’s improved this season, but you could never doubt he’s a decent bloke so it’s awful to see him going through this again.

Has anyone talking about loans remembered Marcus Olsson is technically still a Derby player, and set to recover from his own ACL injury in the new year? Must admit I’d forgotten his existence till I thought about cover! Never really rated him either but he’s the sort of attacking full back frank likes?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

No. As @86 points posits, it’s the blades. Never used to be so frequent with proper studs. I think some FAs have barred blades for young players. 

The blades were criticised a few years ago and blamed for these injuries yet professional footballers still wear them, with full agreement from the clubs I presume...if it were the cause would players continue to use them?

To me, the blades seem a potential hazard that can "lock" into the playing surface causing the knee to swivel while the lower leg is stationary, so you'd think clubs would stop their players wearing them?

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

No. As @86 points posits, it’s the blades. Never used to be so frequent with proper studs. I think some FAs have barred blades for young players. 

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The blades were criticised a few years ago and blamed for these injuries yet professional footballers still wear them, with full agreement from the clubs I presume...if it were the cause would players continue to use them?

To me, the blades seem a potential hazard that can "lock" into the playing surface causing the knee to swivel while the lower leg is stationary, so you'd think clubs would stop their players wearing them?

Ah, so this is a thing then. Why on earth do players continue to use them then, I wonder, especially when they have already had ruptures or tears? Seems a terrible risk to take. I've never worn them, being from the moulded or screw in stud era myself, so I assume the marketing bumpf about them must have been true in that they do provide increased grip and therefore turning ability, but clearly with significant potential risk attached. Good to hear that at least some FA's are taking a stance where younger players are involved. I don't recall a single really bad knee injury from my playing time save for those taken by direct knocks. You'd see some bad cuts from where edges had sharpened through wear, but not too much else. It seems clubs and governing bodies need to do more to protect players in this regard. Knowing these boots might have played a role in Fozzy's injuries somehow makes it even worse. Anyway, little point dwelling on it, I suppose. Such a shame for Craig. It'll be a long, hard road back one suspects.

4 hours ago, 86 points said:

Ah, so this is a thing then. Why on earth do players continue to use them then, I wonder, especially when they have already had ruptures or tears? Seems a terrible risk to take. I've never worn them, being from the moulded or screw in stud era myself, so I assume the marketing bumpf about them must have been true in that they do provide increased grip and therefore turning ability, but clearly with significant potential risk attached. Good to hear that at least some FA's are taking a stance where younger players are involved. I don't recall a single really bad knee injury from my playing time save for those taken by direct knocks. You'd see some bad cuts from where edges had sharpened through wear, but not too much else. It seems clubs and governing bodies need to do more to protect players in this regard. Knowing these boots might have played a role in Fozzy's injuries somehow makes it even worse. Anyway, little point dwelling on it, I suppose. Such a shame for Craig. It'll be a long, hard road back one suspects.

The links that other posters above have provided flag up a multi-factorial causation with increased intensity of the game and fatigue effects being upper-most. I think there is a need for proper research to be carried out; as this is a potentially career-ending issue you’d think the PFA would be taking a lead on this and maybe they are. 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are 20 clubs in the Premier League so it's below one per club per season. 

We have had 8 since 14/15 so an average of 2 per season. 

28 across 20 clubs is about 1.4 per club per season. 

We have one of the biggest squads in the Championship.... similar to many Premier League Clubs. We play many more games than Premier League though.  So 2 per season is perfectly within 'average' parameters in my view (think of the Normal Distribution).

I don't think there is anything especially odd about what's been happening at Derby, 

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

28 across 20 clubs is about 1.4 per club per season. 

We have one of the biggest squads in the Championship.... similar to many Premier League Clubs. We play many more games than Premier League too.  So 2 per season is perfectly within 'average' parameters in my view (think of the Normal Distribution).

I don't think there is anything especially odd about what's been happening at Derby, 

I was just looking at ACLs 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our injured players now account for 11 of our 17 assists this season: Fozzy (4), Bennett (3), Bryson (2), Waghorn and Mount (1)

Disappointing isn’t it, yet football gives opportunity to others, lowe and Thomas will be available to learn come January 

11 hours ago, Carnero said:

Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn, Josefzoon, Holmes... how many do you want?

Holmes has barely played on the wing, I'm pretty sure his long term future is in the centre of midfield, similar with Wilson. That leaves us three wingers of which one is currently injured. 

It just takes a bad injury to either one of our midfielders or the wingers now and we're in a very sticky position. 

How sure are we that blades are an issue, just done a very fast run through of some recorded matches (mainly prem), In all cases where foot was visible it was a conventional stud, not a blade. Not scientific I know.

One notable thing was the total lack of mud on the soles, so that implies sand based pitches, watered heavily so sand packs down hard, but you have a slippery grass/plastic top. This results in a slide followed by a hard stop as the stud digs in, recipe for a twisted ankle.

By the way no one commented on the fact the trend from the BBC data is definitely rising! 

Worrying statistics from BBC showing rise in knee injuries year on year. As someone who suffered one in my late 20s I have to say knee injuries can come back as osteo arthritis in your 40s and beyond which is horrible and knee replacement is much more complicated than hip replacement. This rise in incidence definitely needs looking into and measures need to be taken to minimize the risk although due to the nature of the game it can never be eliminated completely.

On 14/11/2018 at 07:57, G STAR RAM said:

There are 20 clubs in the Premier League so it's below one per club per season. 

We have had 8 since 14/15 so an average of 2 per season. 

My numbers work out to us being around 0.5 incidents per year over average and Craig now accounts for 3 of those. I think we're marginally less fortunate than the next guy. but nothing more than that. I guess when it's your own team that's blighted it exacerbates the notion but equally we have had slightly more than our fair share of misfortune in this particular regard. It'd be interesting to know the numbers for major injuries versus just those for ACLs but my gut feeling is that they'd probably look broadly the same in comparison to other sides.

Archived