Rowett - In or Out?

LE_Ram

Rowett - In or Out?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, RedSox said:

And equally, I respect yours.  Problem is, originally, you talked as if being bosom buddies with Owen Bradley.  Bit of a leap from that to being a media darling, given Owen is a colleague.

As for McClaren, people were virtually lining up to drive him down the road because he had no Plan B, injuries not withstanding. Yes, I too loved the swagger of the team in those days, but we failed.  As have others since then.  My point is that we need to given it the metaphorical '10' before we once again press the panic button.  

Who's to say I'm right or wrong?  It all opinion, by fwiw, I think we need to give a manager (any manager) at least 2 seasons to undo the poor work done before him.  The revolving door policy just doesn't seem to work here.  Don't know why as it does elsewhere, but we are where we are and sadly, I think we / Mel need to give one last mighty push to support the team and see what happens come end of May.  I am not a happy clapper btw, just want to see some stability at the club for a while.  If he can't turn things around by next Dec I'll be at the front of the queue with my engine running...... 

That was Rowett’s job and he hasn’t done it. By all means give him another chance, we may as well but that’s my real gripe. He didn’t undo the poor work done before him, he’s continued it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DRBee said:

team selection - his choice in midfield and up front both wrong choices and not sure why Baird brought in. The constantly changing team is affecting the quality  of play. True that Keogh's goal was clearly his error,  but the lack of confidence that brought the collapse is down to  Rowett. The performance was worse than any under MacClaren 2. These players can do  better and we have seen better from them.

You'll see that I agree Gary needs to accept some of the blame but anyone who thinks the players were completely blameless are deluded. 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

You'll see that I agree Gary needs to accept some of the blame but anyone who thinks the players were completely blameless are deluded. 

I accept that Rowett wasn't to blame for Forsyth heading the ball into his own net and giving the penalty away or Keogh gifting the ball for them to score but they also hit the woodwork twice, we had one shot on target in the entire game, that's one shot at home against the leagues bottom side whom hasn't won for what 10 games? Rowett has to take responsibility for that.

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

We’ve fallen into the trap of overrating Clement and now Rowett because they’re young and talked well in the press.

How well someone gets on with Owen Bradley shouldn’t be a barometer of how good a manager is.

If a Roy Hodgson or Martin O’Neill, basically an older manager who doesn’t have the benefit of youth, had been making the transfer moves and setting the team up the way Rowett has, they wouldn’t have been praised. His youth has painted backwards moves as forwards ones.

He and a lot of people on here have scoffed at the criticisms of the team, this regime has hardly acknowledged the flaws that were plainly obvious and the contradictions of this rebuild being nothing of the sort.

At least with McClaren there was a clear template for how he’d like to set up, which we knew could be successful. Has Rowett really shown anything resembling that?

The defence is/was solid but it’s only because our attack is such an afterthought. He got very lucky in inheriting Vydra because otherwise his attacking set-up really is dismal.

I don’t think you can really praise his defence anymore (obviously it’s dropped off massively anyway, it’s literally not good) but it’s cost us so much balance as a team. We’re embarrasingly unbalanced, we set up with 6 outfield players dedicated to defending, sometimes 7 if Johnson plays on the wing. No wonder we don’t create any chances.

It’s obscene that he won’t play Palmer and Vydra together, ******* obscene. It’s not like Lawrence has been playing well, he could probably do with a break, why wouldn’t you put Palmer in? It’s astounding and really worrying.

His disdain for passing, possession and attacking flair is such an undesirable trait in a manager, it’s not a problem those aren’t his priorities but you can tell from his treatment of Hughes, his comments on former Derby teams and teams like Fulham that he thinks it’s almost juvenile. It’s not that it isn’t an option for him either, he’s had Martin and Palmer at his disposal and not utilised them. If he’d made any sort of effort to properly incorporate Martin into the team then we’d have so much less to do this summer.

What worries me now and I think the issue that could genuinely ruin him is that he made us worse in a transfer window when we had so much going for us. All his own doing. Jerome for Martin has been a hideous swap that’s put another contract on our books for an aging striker, while still retaining Martin’s contract. We spent reportedly 2 million on Jerome, that’s almost half of what we reportedly sold Hughes for. 

There’s been no cohesive plan for building the team to host a sustainable promotion push but instead a reliance on experience that has ignored the problems with building around older players. Our style was built around Nugent who was pushing his luck and actually flattered to deceive (6 goals, coming in 4 games; he only scored in 4 games this season). As soon as he dropped off, we were toast.

I’ll forgive him the Winnall injury because we’d look a hell of a lot better if he was playing but he was the only player outside of Wisdom and Lawrence we signed in their 20’s this summer. And he isn’t even ours.

I understand the Davies signing but it wasn’t a signing for the future, he creates a massive stumbling block for how we can bring in another CB. We’ve got three on big wages in Pearce, Davies and Keogh. Where’s the room to bring in a young CB?

Where’s the room to bring in a young striker? Nugent, Jerome and Martin are taking up those spots on big wages. No ones going to want any of them this summer, what are we going to do?

Midfield. Ledley, Huddlestone, Johnson, Bryson and Butterfield. Who’d want them?

The real kicker is we didn’t have to sign them. The excuse is we were priced out of young players in an inflated market (where we surprisingly didn’t get much money for our two young stars) but we didn’t need to sign players to make us competitive this year, we knew it was a rebuild and people would have been fine with mid table, as long as we’re improving and working for the long term future of the club.

The fans expectations had been thoroughly reset after last season but we set it straight back to promotion or bust.

We’re two points off 10th now, on current form that’s probably about where we’ll finish. If that happens, it will be treated as a disaster and I guarantee Rowett’s excuse will be ‘look at this reaction, that’s why I had to risk so much for a shot at promotion’ but it’s complete ******** because if a young team had finished 10th, the fans would have understood.

It’s interesting to see the tide turn against this regime since it’s become clear we’re not going up because his excuses have gone. Davies, Ledley and Jerome were only good moves if we went up. If that’s the only way a player can be successful, why have we signed them because that’s precisely what we want to avoid.

At the point Kieftenbeld didn’t work out, we could have not signed Ledley, easily. We all would have understood if Hanson or Guy had got their chance instead, what’s the point of having investment in the academy if we don’t use its products?

Signing him to a longer contract in January only made sense, we were doing so well with him but he shouldn’t have ever been signed in the first place. We’re back to square one again.

This is going to get worse before it gets better, I think we can keep limping on for now but outside of introducing the academy players, I can’t see much to get excited about anymore.

I’d say at least we’ll get a big fee for Vydra but after Hughes and Ince’s sale, I wonder if we’ll get ripped off again.

Oh yeah and the football is ******* boring.

You post good stuff @Leicester Ram but in this instance I absolutely cannot agree! 

I’m not a Rowett lover. I think McClaren second time was sacked unfairly and too early.

However, the football was boring last season. Hughes wanted to leave (that’s what happens when you stay in the championship your best players want to go to the highest level), he signed Huddlestone Davies  Ledley Jerome to keep us competitive. Maybe that’s what the chairman demanded! Jerome is the only one that hasn’t worked and that’s still early days. The other players have improved us!

Guy, Elsnik Lowe (due to injuries), Thomas not ready for this season but all (except Thomas) have had good football experience on loan.

I think he’s acknowledged all our flaws. Issue is, saddled with Johnson Butterfield Shackell Olsson Nugent etc etc the players you mention that no one wants, what can he do?!

Hes used limited budget to sign players that could compete for promotion which is what we’ve done. The alternative is not sign those players, play the youth and be mid-table all season. Would people really accept that?!

Hes signed experience on short contracts   and if (when) we stay down will have the opportunity to bring youth through. If he doesn’t do that next season then I think you will be right in your assessment and it will be concerning, not now. He’s done the best with the shambles he inherited and he hasn’t done badly

15 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I accept that Rowett wasn't to blame for Forsyth heading the ball into his own net and giving the penalty away or Keogh gifting the ball for them to score but they also hit the woodwork twice, we had one shot on target in the entire game, that's one shot at home against the leagues bottom side whom hasn't won for what 10 games? Rowett has to take responsibility for that.

So you completely agree with my posts then? Rowett does have to take some of the blame but not all of it?

18 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

We’ve fallen into the trap of overrating Clement and now Rowett because they’re young and talked well in the press.

How well someone gets on with Owen Bradley shouldn’t be a barometer of how good a manager is.

If a Roy Hodgson or Martin O’Neill, basically an older manager who doesn’t have the benefit of youth, had been making the transfer moves and setting the team up the way Rowett has, they wouldn’t have been praised. His youth has painted backwards moves as forwards ones.

He and a lot of people on here have scoffed at the criticisms of the team, this regime has hardly acknowledged the flaws that were plainly obvious and the contradictions of this rebuild being nothing of the sort.

At least with McClaren there was a clear template for how he’d like to set up, which we knew could be successful. Has Rowett really shown anything resembling that?

The defence is/was solid but it’s only because our attack is such an afterthought. He got very lucky in inheriting Vydra because otherwise his attacking set-up really is dismal.

I don’t think you can really praise his defence anymore (obviously it’s dropped off massively anyway, it’s literally not good) but it’s cost us so much balance as a team. We’re embarrasingly unbalanced, we set up with 6 outfield players dedicated to defending, sometimes 7 if Johnson plays on the wing. No wonder we don’t create any chances.

It’s obscene that he won’t play Palmer and Vydra together, ******* obscene. It’s not like Lawrence has been playing well, he could probably do with a break, why wouldn’t you put Palmer in? It’s astounding and really worrying.

His disdain for passing, possession and attacking flair is such an undesirable trait in a manager, it’s not a problem those aren’t his priorities but you can tell from his treatment of Hughes, his comments on former Derby teams and teams like Fulham that he thinks it’s almost juvenile. It’s not that it isn’t an option for him either, he’s had Martin and Palmer at his disposal and not utilised them. If he’d made any sort of effort to properly incorporate Martin into the team then we’d have so much less to do this summer.

What worries me now and I think the issue that could genuinely ruin him is that he made us worse in a transfer window when we had so much going for us. All his own doing. Jerome for Martin has been a hideous swap that’s put another contract on our books for an aging striker, while still retaining Martin’s contract. We spent reportedly 2 million on Jerome, that’s almost half of what we reportedly sold Hughes for. 

There’s been no cohesive plan for building the team to host a sustainable promotion push but instead a reliance on experience that has ignored the problems with building around older players. Our style was built around Nugent who was pushing his luck and actually flattered to deceive (6 goals, coming in 4 games; he only scored in 4 games this season). As soon as he dropped off, we were toast.

I’ll forgive him the Winnall injury because we’d look a hell of a lot better if he was playing but he was the only player outside of Wisdom and Lawrence we signed in their 20’s this summer. And he isn’t even ours.

I understand the Davies signing but it wasn’t a signing for the future, he creates a massive stumbling block for how we can bring in another CB. We’ve got three on big wages in Pearce, Davies and Keogh. Where’s the room to bring in a young CB?

Where’s the room to bring in a young striker? Nugent, Jerome and Martin are taking up those spots on big wages. No ones going to want any of them this summer, what are we going to do?

Midfield. Ledley, Huddlestone, Johnson, Bryson and Butterfield. Who’d want them?

The real kicker is we didn’t have to sign them. The excuse is we were priced out of young players in an inflated market (where we surprisingly didn’t get much money for our two young stars) but we didn’t need to sign players to make us competitive this year, we knew it was a rebuild and people would have been fine with mid table, as long as we’re improving and working for the long term future of the club.

The fans expectations had been thoroughly reset after last season but we set it straight back to promotion or bust.

We’re two points off 10th now, on current form that’s probably about where we’ll finish. If that happens, it will be treated as a disaster and I guarantee Rowett’s excuse will be ‘look at this reaction, that’s why I had to risk so much for a shot at promotion’ but it’s complete ******** because if a young team had finished 10th, the fans would have understood.

It’s interesting to see the tide turn against this regime since it’s become clear we’re not going up because his excuses have gone. Davies, Ledley and Jerome were only good moves if we went up. If that’s the only way a player can be successful, why have we signed them because that’s precisely what we want to avoid.

At the point Kieftenbeld didn’t work out, we could have not signed Ledley, easily. We all would have understood if Hanson or Guy had got their chance instead, what’s the point of having investment in the academy if we don’t use its products?

Signing him to a longer contract in January only made sense, we were doing so well with him but he shouldn’t have ever been signed in the first place. We’re back to square one again.

This is going to get worse before it gets better, I think we can keep limping on for now but outside of introducing the academy players, I can’t see much to get excited about anymore.

I’d say at least we’ll get a big fee for Vydra but after Hughes and Ince’s sale, I wonder if we’ll get ripped off again.

Oh yeah and the football is ******* boring.

I normally get bored reading such long postings but, top post and have to agree with everything you've said.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So you completely agree with my posts then? Rowett does have to take some of the blame but not all of it?

The Sky Sport stat about Derby not winning a match at home for x number of games after they'd fallen behind first was far more instructive for me.

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The Sky Sport stat about Derby not winning a match at home for x number of games after they'd fallen behind first was far more instructive for me.

Politicians answer. So, you completely agree with my post then? Rowett does have to take some of the blame but not all of it. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Politicians answer. So, you completely agree with my post then? Rowett does have to take some of the blame but not all of it. 

I've never yet seen a football player sacked for a poor performance. Accountability lies with Rowett. The same underperforming players will still be here next season, Rowett might not. Does that answer your question?

Yay let's make it yet another season where we sack another manager!!!!

and then stand there scratching our heads and asking ourselves why we're still in this league with a mish mash of god knows how many mangers players 

grow up people, suck it up and get behind them.

It's football, **** happens, it ain't good and I'm as upset as the next man, especially as a STH having to sit through it 

but that's football people it ain't all rosey 

Personally I think it’s wise Keogh stays off social media at the minute and to be honest he very rarely says anything at all on Twitter anyway.

It wouldn’t serve any purpose other than people having a toxic meltdown...QPR,blah,blah.

Just parade him round the ground before a game and we can all throw **** at him,because he doesn’t care and never trys does he...ffs!!

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

and then stand there scratching our heads and asking ourselves why we're still in this league with a mish mash of god knows how many mangers players 

It's football, sh9t happens, it ain't good and I'm as upset as the next man, especially as a STH having to sit through it 

Don't think i can cope with anymore of Rowetball. The team is in a worse shape now with him following two windows. 

I'm voting with my pocket, i will not fly back to watch any games or sign up to the rams TV if it's more of the same under him.

Had more heart during the Clough days. At least we saw a rebuild taking place.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

It's football, sh9t happens, it ain't good and I'm as upset as the next man, especially as a STH having to sit through it 

Ultimately Rowetts fate will be decided by the attendance figures; if fans start to vote with their feet because they don't like the brand of football he's serving up then Morris will have little choice.

17 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Personally I think it’s wise Keogh stays off social media at the minute and to be honest he very rarely says anything at all on Twitter anyway.

It wouldn’t serve any purpose other than people having a toxic meltdown...QPR,blah,blah.

Just parade him round the ground before a game and we can all throw **** at him,because he doesn’t care and never trys does he...ffs!!

Obvious his confidence is suffering as it is throughout the whole team,in my opinion still one of the best CBs in this league and a great servant to the club.Picking him out to explain the sh..t show we saw is just wrong,things go a lot deeper than Keoghs current form.

In my opinion.

That big headed young bloke who put everyone's backs up.

He got his cum uppance when Revie's lot stuck five up 'em at the baseball ground.

Then buying a 36 year old Spurs reject (Dave Mackay!)

We should invite Tim Ward back.... as if!

Good job we didn't run everything via the internet in 69-69!

A good manager proves himself in the hard times.

So Gary doesn't get us promoted this year. He's still learning.

And R K is an inspirational influence as captain.

And Brian Clough and Peter Taylor didn't turn out too badly given half a chance did they?

12 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Ultimately Rowetts fate will be decided by the attendance figures; if fans start to vote with their feet because they don't like the brand of football he's serving up then Morris will have little choice.

It will be results not brand of football that decides his fate. If we ever got promoted and maintained a premier league place playing uninspiring and boring football then I don't think he'd get the boot even if attendances did drop. 

1 hour ago, steve brummie said:

That big headed young bloke who put everyone's backs up.

He got his cum uppance when Revie's lot stuck five up 'em at the baseball ground.

Then buying a 36 year old Spurs reject (Dave Mackay!)

We should invite Tim Ward back.... as if!

Good job we didn't run everything via the internet in 69-69!

A good manager proves himself in the hard times.

So Gary doesn't get us promoted this year. He's still learning.

And R K is an inspirational influence as captain.

And Brian Clough and Peter Taylor didn't turn out too badly given half a chance did they?

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there" - Brian Clough on long-ball football.

Archived