Robbie Savage - Comments in BT Sport

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

In response to the scenes at West Ham today Savage stated that during the 11 points season the atmosphere at Pride Park was hostile and that the players preferred playing away from home, he made reference to chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'.

It might be my memory but my recollection of that season was that the fans were fantastic (the fans got player of the year?), and I actually only recall that chant after the final home game when we got beat 4-0 by fellow relegated team Reading?

Is he talking rubbish, or is my memory fading badly?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We sang it plenty of times before the final game.

Played were booed off at half time and full time on countless games, probably the majority.

Of course when that happens its easier to play away from home.

I wouldnt say Savage waas talking rubbish on this particular issue.

Sith Happens

Lol, makes me wonder if i actually went, i dont remember much other than the last game.

My brain probably shut down during the season.

I think the atmosphere changed after villa and West Ham tonked us at home. Before that we tried hard but were not good enough. After the villa game especially, they didn’t even try. Away games were good though. I think a lot of home teams admired us turning up en masse to support that shower of *****. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

In response to the scenes at West Ham today Savage stated that during the 11 points season the atmosphere at Pride Park was hostile and that the players preferred playing away from home, he made reference to chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'.

It might be my memory but my recollection of that season was that the fans were fantastic (the fans got player of the year?), and I actually only recall that chant after the final home game when we got beat 4-0 by fellow relegated team Reading?

Our fans only sang that when he signed!

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I remembered it like this too?

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Yes Savage is talking rubbish. No I don't think you're going senile. I recall most of the crowd being restrained in voicing their protests until the last match of the season. 

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yes Savage is talking rubbish. No I don't think you're going senile. I recall most of the crowd being restrained in voicing their protests until the last match of the season. 

I was in the SE Corner that season   , it was only that last game when the fans turned. Even then as most sang “your not fit to wear the shirt” others were singing “we’ll support you ever more” near me.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

He's talking like he played crap Don't going blaming fans for the tripe they served up I can remember going to Blackburn taking 7,000 when we had been relegated three months before He's got to be in the six poorest players I've seen at the club 

56 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was in the SE Corner that season   , it was only that last game when the fans turned. Even then as most sang “your not fit to wear the shirt” others were singing “we’ll support you ever more” near me.

I agree there has always been a solid hardcore, of us fans who will always stay behind the team like we did in the early 80s, my attitude has always been the same, I am so proud to be a RAM, and I will show it antill the day I die.

12 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

He's talking like he played crap Don't going blaming fans for the tripe they served up I can remember going to Blackburn taking 7,000 when we had been relegated three months before He's got to be in the six poorest players I've seen at the club 

Brilliant away game that was. Everyone in fancy dress.  I remember a Blackburn fan walking the length of the pitch to clap us. We really were in it together.

We stood and clapped what someone shouted was the team bus...only for an old Albert Wilde coach to chug slowly past with the people on board wondering wtf was going on :lol:

Standing  at anfield singing ‘7-6 were gonna win 7-6’  

Archived