Robbie Savage - Comments in BT Sport

Sith Happens

6 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

He's talking like he played crap Don't going blaming fans for the tripe they served up I can remember going to Blackburn taking 7,000 when we had been relegated three months before He's got to be in the six poorest players I've seen at the club 

A player who spent the majority of his career playing in the top flight for various clubs, is one of the 6 poorest players you’ve seen at Derby?? You’ve not been to many games in the last 30 years I take it. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

In response to the scenes at West Ham today Savage stated that during the 11 points season the atmosphere at Pride Park was hostile and that the players preferred playing away from home, he made reference to chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'.

It might be my memory but my recollection of that season was that the fans were fantastic (the fans got player of the year?), and I actually only recall that chant after the final home game when we got beat 4-0 by fellow relegated team Reading?

Is he talking rubbish, or is my memory fading badly?

If Savage had half a brain, he would leave any reference to his involvement in that abysmal season just where it belongs. Buried in the archives. 

3 hours ago, Mistaram said:

He's talking like he played crap Don't going blaming fans for the tripe they served up I can remember going to Blackburn taking 7,000 when we had been relegated three months before He's got to be in the six poorest players I've seen at the club 

...I think you’re rose-coloured specs are blinding you...he was abysmally poor and surely in the top 3? Worst with Mick coop, Mick Brolley et Alia? ?‍♂️

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

In response to the scenes at West Ham today Savage stated that during the 11 points season the atmosphere at Pride Park was hostile and that the players preferred playing away from home, he made reference to chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'.

It might be my memory but my recollection of that season was that the fans were fantastic (the fans got player of the year?), and I actually only recall that chant after the final home game when we got beat 4-0 by fellow relegated team Reading?

Is he talking rubbish, or is my memory fading badly?

It did turn a little toward the end of the season...and then it turned back somewhat in reaction to it. There was a particular match where we were beaten badly at PPS by another team in the relegation zone (but not the West Ham one; I woke up from a month-long coma on the Thursday before that Saturday game - we lost 5-0 to the side that were 19th before the game started - and the BBC commentator (who was himself sacked during the next week for remarking that the “Derby County Football Club” sign over the main entrance perhaps better reflected the manner in which we were playing since the ‘O’ in ‘County’ had fallen off earlier that day ?) kept noting that the crowd remained happy and supportive and still enjoying the Rams’ return to the Premier League.

EDIT: Besides, the home fans at Pride Park won wide acclaim that season for the positivity in the face of the awful results. I seem to recall you guys even won some sort of ‘Fans of the Year’ award. Even worse than kissing your own sister, I suspect, but independent confirmation of the overwhelming viewpoint.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Is he talking rubbish

Would this surprise you? Made a career out in the media out of it, 606 and BT Sport know exactly what they are getting when they give Robbie Savage a microphone. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Would this surprise you? Made a career out in the media out of it, 606 and BT Sport know exactly what they are getting when they give Robbie Savage a microphone. 

I wonder if he still uses his account on here?

Hi Robbie!

I remember that season well. Sav’s memory is going!

The fans were unbelievable that season! Sell out crowds, getting spanked at home regularly, not one boo half time or full time, incredibly supportive. We even won an award from Sky Sports!

It was after the 4th goal in the 4-0 trouncing by reading last game of the season that it all turned. The end of that game is the most hostile I’ve ever known Pride Park. And rightly so, the fans made their point.

The following season the fans were rubbish but then...we didn’t have a lot to shout about. If people think it’s bad at the moment, it was nothing compared to the Jewell era! Then before that we had the 3 amigos Gregory Phil Brown! Avoiding relegation was the genuine goal, we’re fighting for top 6!

Sith Happens
58 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I remember that season well. Sav’s memory is going!

The fans were unbelievable that season! Sell out crowds, getting spanked at home regularly, not one boo half time or full time, incredibly supportive. We even won an award from Sky Sports!

It was after the 4th goal in the 4-0 trouncing by reading last game of the season that it all turned. The end of that game is the most hostile I’ve ever known Pride Park. And rightly so, the fans made their point.

The following season the fans were rubbish but then...we didn’t have a lot to shout about. If people think it’s bad at the moment, it was nothing compared to the Jewell era! Then before that we had the 3 amigos Gregory Phil Brown! Avoiding relegation was the genuine goal, we’re fighting for top 6!

Im glad its not just me who has this memory of it. From what I recall there was a planned lap of appreciation from the players for the end of that game, but I think we all thought we might just get some sort of performance against an also relegated team and we were totally pathetic that day.

Archived