Just 'silly mistakes' is it Gary?

RoyMac5

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/8698/big-interview-gary-rowett-ill-be-ashamed-if-were-not-in-the-top-six/

Have a read of this interview he did in August and see how many contradictions you can spot between what he says and what we've seen this season.

"We do appreciate the type of club we are. There’s an expectation on us to play good, attacking football." 

"you have to win in different ways"

“What they needed – and what I’ve tried to bring – is a little more flexibility."

"I want us to play, to pass, to keep the ball. But I don’t want to go somewhere on a Tuesday night and find we haven’t got enough fight in the team.”

"I certainly don’t think that signing five foreign players represents more of a risk than signing five Championship players."

“We want to be challenging for those top two spots and, if not, around the top six,” he says. “If we were starting the season with a target anything less than that, I’d be ashamed to put my name to it.”

4 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/8698/big-interview-gary-rowett-ill-be-ashamed-if-were-not-in-the-top-six/

Have a read of this interview he did in August and see how many contradictions you can spot between what he says and what we've seen this season.

"We do appreciate the type of club we are. There’s an expectation on us to play good, attacking football." 

“What they needed – and what I’ve tried to bring – is a little more flexibility."

"I want us to play, to pass, to keep the ball. But I don’t want to go somewhere on a Tuesday night and find we haven’t got enough fight in the team.”

"I certainly don’t think that signing five foreign players represents more of a risk than signing five Championship players."

“We want to be challenging for those top two spots and, if not, around the top six,” he says. “If we were starting the season with a target anything less than that, I’d be ashamed to put my name to it.”

Good find Podgey but a guy’s allowed to change his mind isn’t he ?  ;)

5 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Good find, at the start of the article discusses the problems we faced in the transfer window with regards to fees but you have been a little naughty with your selective pasting at times, if you are going to quote him I think it's fair to quote him fully. 

The full quote:

"We do appreciate the type of club we are. There’s an expectation on us to play good, attacking football.

“But, when that’s not working, you have to win in different ways. In the past, Derby played 4-3-3 almost every game. It worked to a point, and you have to remember how close they’ve come to promotion. Plenty of others didn’t.

Ok, first of all he is right, there is an expectation to play good, attacking football which we have at times. Only 3 clubs have scored more than us in the league this season so far. You don't score goals without attacking. As he says, but when that's not working you have to win in different ways, which we have again, we've gone away from home, and sat right back hoping to capitalise on that one chance playing far more defensive than we have in other games. 

We haven't ventured too far from 4-2-3-1 granted, but we didn't start the season in that formation either, first game of the season we went 4-3-3, same again at Wolves before changing v Preston where we picked up our first 3 points of the season. 

Without not taking a swing at Mac as I enjoyed his football just the same, he did have one way of playing and we didn't really change, you can argue we didn't need to, let other sides worry about us but in some games it does pay off to be a little more defensive.

See above for the full quote.

Full quote:

“What they needed – and what I’ve tried to bring – is a little more flexibility. I want us to play, to pass, to keep the ball. But I don’t want to go somewhere on a Tuesday night and find we haven’t got enough fight in the team.”

I think this further adds to what he has said above, in that we need to be able to go away and play a little more different, defensive and fight, scrap for that 1-0 win. Which we have. 

See above, not sure why you felt the need to split one quote in two. 

We almost signed Kieftenbeld, wanted to sign Toral that's two players he mentioned later that he signed at Birmingham and we made a move for Grosicki on deadline day, foreign players. Not entirely sure what your point is in this, unless you believe foreign players only count when they come directly from abroad?

Hasn't Rowett been consistent in this? Of course we want to be challenging for top two, if not the play offs, go back and watch the fans form at The Yard, promotion is certainly the target and knows his job ultimately depends on reaching the Premier League as that's where this club belongs. 

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a lot wrong in what he has said in this article, I guess it comes down to how you interpret it.

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

For all you keen to keep Mr Rowett on, here's the sort of thing we have to look forward to.

"Derby boss Gary Rowett told BBC Radio Derby:

"We're making silly mistakes at the wrong time. I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight, but we've played badly before and we've won the game.

"If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played.

"The reality is because we've conceded a poor goal the fact that we haven't played very well becomes more important."

Find me a manager anywhere in the world that would disagree with these sentiments. 

It's a results business and regardless of what you think of Rowett, what he has said there is 100% correct.

28 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a lot wrong in what he has said in this article, I guess it comes down to how you interpret it.

That's because your 'interpretation'  seems a little blind in places. Take the quote about ' to pass and to keep the ball ' . Rowett doesn't favour players who can do this - he gets rid. ( think of our pass completion on Tuesday !) Not going to go through the whole of it, but my view is he hasn't lived up to what he said and Rowetts style of play has limitations. Only in December did we see consistent flowing football.

21 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

At the start of the season,we had the equipment to do the job as well or if not better than any other team in the championship bar perhaps wolves.....and we had several windows to then strengthen what we had.

But we didnt,Gary weakened it from the off and then made it weaker as the season progressed.

This is one person's fault,these were his choices and the performances you see now are as a result of them.....

Several windows to strengthen? I thought it was 2 unless I missed a rule change. Or did you use several to try and make it sound worse?

You say he had the chance to strengthen so I assume you must have information about any financial constraints imposed on him?

21 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

I Hate to say it but at this moment in time the Red Dogs youngsters look a far better prospect than the tosh we have in our squad.

I fear for the weekend then GR position may look a bit tenable 

The same Red Dogs youngsters that failed to score in 8 out of 10 games?

Just out of interest, how many times have you watched them play?

23 minutes ago, DRBee said:

That's because your 'interpretation'  seems a little blind in places. Take the quote about ' to pass and to keep the ball ' . Rowett doesn't favour players who can do this - he gets rid. ( think of our pass completion on Tuesday !) Not going to go through the whole of it, but my view is he hasn't lived up to what he said and Rowetts style of play has limitations. Only in December did we see consistent flowing football.

Possibly, but there is a point where some responsibility has to shift on to the players that cross the white line, I don't see being in the Rowett dressing room instructing players to make poor passes and give the ball away on purpose, more a case of don't be scared to make a forward ball and being more direct, if it doesn't come off, get back in shape and defend. Favouring this over moving the ball from side to side, keep the ball as whilst you have the ball they can't do anything, the approach that can often see those high possession and pass success stats coming in your own half.

You have to bare in mind also that sometimes the players are not following instructions fully, take Tuesday night for example, he spoke after unsure of why we started so slowly, didn't sound like that was part of the game plan or impressed by the performance in general.

The buck ultimately stops with the manager, but once again I feel the players at times are getting off a little lightly here with the mistakes they are making on the pitch which are costing us points.

15 hours ago, archied said:

For me the biggest test / puzzle for Gary Rowett over the next ten games is how to set us up to get Palmer and vydra in the team together 

It really shouldn't be a test or a puzzle though.

Adjust slightly to get your in form players playing.

The real puzzle is why Rowett thinks it's a gamble playing them both together. 

It's the same every time the usual suspects start shouting about the manager ,the football in there land of milk and honey was brilliant we were sweeping all before us,I think that no matter what happens they would not be happy ,if you would have asked all fans before the season started i think most would have been happy with a top six at this stage.

9 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

It's the same every time the usual suspects start shouting about the manager ,the football in there land of milk and honey was brilliant we were sweeping all before us,I think that no matter what happens they would not be happy ,if you would have asked all fans before the season started i think most would have been happy with a top six at this stage.

And I think most fans will be happy, in terms of league finish, if we manage to keep our place in the top 6 now.

12 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just a guess but GR probably thinks we'll be too expansive with both in the team and that will take us away from the defensive solidity that he prefers.

Well a simple solution would be to replace Tom Lawrence, who offers very little offensively or defensively, with Kasey Palmer.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just a guess but GR probably thinks we'll be too expansive with both in the team and that will take us away from the defensive solidity that he prefers.

yes because our defence has been really solid of late! he ain't going to change our formation and we will get over ran in the midfield because he doesnt ever change it no matter what. it shows when we are attacking he are a stronger team e.g. against Fulham second half. Rowett just gives teams too much respect he needs to harden up a bit and go for it 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Several windows to strengthen? I thought it was 2 unless I missed a rule change. Or did you use several to try and make it sound worse?

You say he had the chance to strengthen so I assume you must have information about any financial constraints imposed on him?

Well,we sold Hughes and ince for around £20 million and haven't spent half of that in new players...

In any case he weakened the team with his loans and sales of gifted players without adequately replacing them.

Are wolves and Middlesbrough concerned about their wages bills...

The truth is rowett thought he could do it cheaper.....and this is where we are.

Archived