Just 'silly mistakes' is it Gary?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,we sold Hughes and ince for around £20 million and haven't spent half of that in new players...

In any case he weakened the team with his loans and sales of gifted players without adequately replacing them.

Are wolves and Middlesbrough concerned about their wages bills...

The truth is rowett thought he could do it cheaper.....and this is where we are.

Top 6 ?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CROSSWORD said:

Yup certainly playing top six football,for a couple more weeks anyway.

If you can show me any of the top six apart from wolves who have played top 6 football ALL season up till now without  a poor run then fair enough but if you can’t then your comment carries no weight , we are in fifth place on the games played up till now ,we will be where we are at the end of the season based on a full seasons games personally with ten massive games to go I’m gonna hold fire on judging rowett and this team until I can judge the whole season 

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,we sold Hughes and ince for around £20 million and haven't spent half of that in new players...

In any case he weakened the team with his loans and sales of gifted players without adequately replacing them.

Are wolves and Middlesbrough concerned about their wages bills...

The truth is rowett thought he could do it cheaper.....and this is where we are.

There’s no way Rowett wouldn’t have spent more money if he had it available. No manager gets given money and doesn’t spend it. It’s pretty clear we were in a dire position after clement, blame him for having to sell our two best players not Rowett.

Things you can blame him for however are the fee for Hughes (wtf!) and the waste of 5 million on the incompetent Lawrence. If you’re gonna sell your best player to raise funds at least get his value ffs. Other than that I don’t think you can really blame Rowetts transfer business so far given our financial position, other than the fact it’s somewhat... predictable 

In terms of the question being asked, I tend to think it’s not the mistakes costing us massively it’s the overall reduction in attacking quality that we now have and that with the improvement of Vydra and wieman as well and oh only playing defensive central midfielders 

51 minutes ago, archied said:

If you can show me any of the top six apart from wolves who have played top 6 football ALL season up till now without  a poor run then fair enough but if you can’t then your comment carries no weight , we are in fifth place on the games played up till now ,we will be where we are at the end of the season based on a full seasons games personally with ten massive games to go I’m gonna hold fire on judging rowett and this team until I can judge the whole season 

I think in total he's been in charge over a season now...

So I'm judging him with last year's squad and this one..

8 hours ago, David said:

You have to bare in mind also that sometimes the players are not following instructions fully, take Tuesday night for example, he spoke after unsure of why we started so slowly,

If his team talks are anything like his interviews the players had probably fallen asleep. 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think in total he's been in charge over a season now...

So I'm judging him with last year's squad and this one..

For me last season doesn’t show me too much as it was a total shambles from the start and if rowett had a new broom effect I still wouldn’t hold much store in it ,,,it’s this season it starts for me as he had the summer window and his own pre season with the players to get them fit his way ,prepared and get his ideas across to start afresh ,then we have jan window thrown in , for me so far it’s not been world shaking but it’s not been disaster either ,from now till season end will tell me far more and will let me form a better more balanced opinion on rowett and his ability and chances of success with derby ,

jan window we could really have done with spending more ( if we have the money or ffp room) and I don’t necessarily mean spending on getting up this season only type players but players with a longer term building view , at this point none of us really know one way or the other the kind of budget rowett is working to and could really do with some clarification from the club to the fans to help rowetts position if he really is having to work within very tight guidelines 

9 hours ago, David said:

Good find, at the start of the article discusses the problems we faced in the transfer window with regards to fees but you have been a little naughty with your selective pasting at times, if you are going to quote him I think it's fair to quote him fully. 

The full quote:

"We do appreciate the type of club we are. There’s an expectation on us to play good, attacking football.

“But, when that’s not working, you have to win in different ways. In the past, Derby played 4-3-3 almost every game. It worked to a point, and you have to remember how close they’ve come to promotion. Plenty of others didn’t.

“What they needed – and what I’ve tried to bring – is a little more flexibility. I want us to play, to pass, to keep the ball. But I don’t want to go somewhere on a Tuesday night and find we haven’t got enough fight in the team.”

He’s basically gone and pretty much repeated or inversed some of the problems he’s identified though?

”You have to win in different ways”

Consistently tried to grind out results this year, rarely taken the reigns off the team and let them attack, even when we just need a winner in the last 20 minutes. Very consistent style of play.

Instead of playing good, attacking football to get results but not being able to grind out results (hence us conceding so many goals in the last 20 mins), we play solid, defensive football but can’t turn on the flair to get results (hence us so often not getting a winner in the last 20 minutes)

“In the past, Derby played 4-3-3 almost every game. It worked to a point, and you have to remember how close they’ve come to promotion. Plenty of others didn’t”

We play 4-2-3-1 (or when we’re not at it, 6-0-4) every game, with little flexibility. How much of a different approach to a game can we have? Palmer instead of Vydra? Nugent instead of Jerome? Anya instead of Weimann? Thorne instead of Ledley? Baird for Wisdom?

There’s only ever minimal change in our line up, the style never really strays too much from sitting deep and soaking up pressure. Just as much as previous teams could only really attack this team can only ever really defend. When this team needs to attack, we look just as haphazard as the defending used to.

We only played 4-3-3 at the start of the season because we weren’t finished in the transfer market. It was also the worst 4-3-3 I’ve seen since Bradley Johnson got his shot at LW. As soon as Rowett got his personnel in, there was no way we could have played 4-3-3.

“What they needed – and what I’ve tried to bring – is a little more flexibility. I want us to play, to pass, to keep the ball. But I don’t want to go somewhere on a Tuesday night and find we haven’t got enough fight in the team.”

I’ve pretty much answered that above but that’s the real problem with this team, it’s traded being one dimensional offensively for being one dimensional defensively. There’s not much flexibility.

Instead of not having enough “fight” (a football manager buzzword) we haven’t had enough “flair” (a football purist buzzword).

I’m sure he genuinely means what he said but he hasn’t been able to do it this season. The point is that Rowett hasn’t really been revolutionary, he’s addressed what he sees as priorities at the expense of what previous regimes saw as priorities. We’re just as unbalanced as we were.

Too many safe signings has taken the umph out of the team, we made such an effort to remain controlled that we don’t have much bite. When Palmer came into the game on Saturday, he did something no one had done all season and showed a bit of inexperience. He picked up the ball, ran with it and when he got fouled, he gave a bit back to them. Joe Ledley would never do that but it brought us back to life and we got back in the game, almost got a draw.

A player me and you went back and forth about in pre-season was Ollie Watkins, who has been a great find for Brentford, a club who’ve consistently have brought in excellent, young players. He went for under 2 million, was he out of our price range or were we just too happy to sit on the likes of Anya, Russell and Weimann?

Rowett’s clearly seen what I agreed were the problems with us but not really changed them much at all.

Archived