Just 'silly mistakes' is it Gary?

RoyMac5

For all you keen to keep Mr Rowett on, here's the sort of thing we have to look forward to.

"Derby boss Gary Rowett told BBC Radio Derby:

"We're making silly mistakes at the wrong time. I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight, but we've played badly before and we've won the game.

"If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played.

"The reality is because we've conceded a poor goal the fact that we haven't played very well becomes more important."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point in the season, I would argue it is all about grinding out results, not playing open and attractive football, which we all prefer to see. 

The problem is, when that becomes a mantra ingrained in the heads of the players, we leave ourselves open to a lapse, which costs us points.  I am absolutely not advocating a change of manager - but a change of approach.  When we are on top, we need to go for the cushion of a second goal, rather than sitting back and hoping to pick teams off on the break.  It worked for a while, but over a season it won't.  We need to get on the front foot more and this brings us back to the midfield set up, which is where I think our problems stem from.  We are too slow and too short in numbers.  I hope GR sees that this needs to be addressed now, not later.  Why not throw Hanson in and tighten up in the middle a bit.  GT needs time and TH is not a dynamic box-to-box midfielder.  I know I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but something needs to change in our approach to winning.    

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For all you keen to keep Mr Rowett on, here's the sort of thing we have to look forward to.

"We're making silly mistakes at the wrong time. I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight, but we've played badly before and we've won the game.

"If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played.

"The reality is because we've conceded a poor goal the fact that we haven't played very well becomes more important."

Who’d you rather have currently? 

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All he's saying is that if we win, then that's all everyone remembers & a poor performance is glossed over if we get the 3 points. He's not saying that playing rubbish is OK.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

All he's saying is that if we win, then that's all everyone remembers & a poor performance is glossed over if we get the 3 points. He's not saying that playing rubbish is OK.

Yes he is, as long as you get 3 points.

Rowett hasn't said it's "just" silly mistakes though has he.

"I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight"

Right there he has acknowledged the performance was not good enough, you pasted that in yourself. And as much as you disagree with "If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played."

It's true mostly, had we held out last night and won 1-0 with the exact same performance you would not be seeing some of the topics that are on this forum today. Instead they would have been, right it wasn't pretty, need to be better than that but we needed those 3 points, let's use this to kick start our season starting Sunday.

We're not though, because of a silly mistake, a goal that came from a foul throw of all things, now we're having to give suggestions out of what to say to Forest fans that are taking the piss. Having checked the table though I hardly think they are in a position to mock.

This isn't the time to take to stop and take a look in the mirror and check how pretty we look, 10 games remaining it's about putting points on the table and securing that play off spot to put us potentially 3 games away from promotion. It's not the only way to get out this league granted but right now with the run of form we're in a scrap that's what it is. 

For anyone that doesn't think we're good enough to go up, go ask Huddersfield fans about their form prior to the play offs and how they made it to Wembley and the Premier League.

Whilst we're top 6 we have a chance. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can think of plenty of games this season where we've defended the full 90 minutes, nicked the game 1-0, and I've gone home very disappointed. If the only thing I cared about was the results, I'd stay at home and watch the scores pop up on teletext. I go to the games because I want to see good players, playing good football and winning games. We've sold all of the good players, we're actively choosing to play terrible football and we're not even getting good results anymore.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But even that is not true is it? As an example, there were many on here who criticised our performance in the 5-0 win against Hull and got shouted down for it on the basis that they were simply being negative. I think that Rowett is failing to understand how (at least some of) the fans see the games. Yes, winning glosses over some of the performance related stuff but there are many on here who have consistently questioned the standard of performance and been clear that despite the result they are not happy. They always get shouted down. I don't think Rowett is right is saying that 3 points = everyone happy, he may be however.

I will accept that when we get the 3 points it easier to argue that Rowett is being effective.

18 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I can think of plenty of games this season where we've defended the full 90 minutes, nicked the game 1-0, and I've gone home very disappointed. If the only thing I cared about was the results, I'd stay at home and watch the scores pop up on teletext. I go to the games because I want to see good players, playing good football and winning games. We've sold all of the good players, we're actively choosing to play terrible football and we're not even getting good results anymore.

I guess the point here is there are 2 criteria that most fans tend to judge managers on - the entertainment provided and the results.  To some, they are of equal value, to others not.  The problem is that if you fail to deliver one, you need to consistently deliver the other.  If not, you tend to leave yourself exposed to criticism from some of the supporters.  Fun job, eh?  

Oh and Derby have never played badly before in any other era have they until Gary arrived. 

This is Derby County and we have no Devine right. 

12 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

But even that is not true is it? As an example, there were many on here who criticised our performance in the 5-0 win against Hull and got shouted down for it on the basis that they were simply being negative. I think that Rowett is failing to understand how (at least some of) the fans see the games. Yes, winning glosses over some of the performance related stuff but there are many on here who have consistently questioned the standard of performance and been clear that despite the result they are not happy. They always get shouted down. I don't think Rowett is right is saying that 3 points = everyone happy, he may be however.

I will accept that when we get the 3 points it easier to argue that Rowett is being effective.

Rowett hasn't had a 100% approval rating even during the run we went on, true, some were just as vocal with their displeasure as the are now, but did appear to be the minority.

Some also say the performances haven't changed all season, we've just ran out of luck now that was seeing us through games.

If that is true, why were more fans not calling taxi's for him to Stoke a few weeks back, why were so many happy when he signed the new deal, what's changed?

Results.

Rowett isn't wrong in what he says for a lot of fans, you will always have those that place entertainment above results, it's an expensive day out and you want to be entertained but ultimately football is a sport, the goal is to win, when you're not winning everything is being questioned. 

Forest next, wasn't pretty in that game either but we won and that game was the turning point in our season by winning the next 3. 

Last minute winner off Keogh's arse will do, just get the 3 points.

Rowett has always played this type of football. Don't know why people seem to be surprised. David Cameron once described Gordon Brown as an analogue prime minister in a digital age. I think the same applies to Rowett but in a football sense. The football is very rigid, negative. There is very little movement and fluidity. It's football by numbers. If anything I think they are over coached. Allowing the players freedom to express themselves would be a start.

The two not related then Gary? :blink:

5 minutes ago, David said:

Rowett hasn't had a 100% approval rating even during the run we went on, true, some were just as vocal with their displeasure as the are now, but did appear to be the minority.

Some also say the performances haven't changed all season, we've just ran out of luck now that was seeing us through games.

If that is true, why were more fans not calling taxi's for him to Stoke a few weeks back, why were so many happy when he signed the new deal, what's changed?

Results.

Rowett isn't wrong in what he says for a lot of fans, you will always have those that place entertainment above results, it's an expensive day out and you want to be entertained but ultimately football is a sport, the goal is to win, when you're not winning everything is being questioned. 

Forest next, wasn't pretty in that game either but we won and that game was the turning point in our season by winning the next 3. 

Last minute winner off Keogh's arse will do, just get the 3 points.

Well a poll has been called for in one of the other threads so any chance of having one to see what the current views of the fans are?

11 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Well a poll has been called for in one of the other threads so any chance of having one to see what the current views of the fans are?

Members are free to open one, I won't be putting my name to one as I personally don't think it's time to be questioning the manager.

The timing of the poll largely dictates the result, votes tend to go the way of the current mood which is low given the run of form and last nights result and performance. 

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

I suggested it because I think it will still show support for GR.

Archived