What are our tactics?

Just now, Inglorius said:

Name another manager that would be able to untangle the mess Rowett inherited, haven't we been through enough managers recently to realise the grass is not always greener.

It's been done to the death, but 'mess than Rowett inherited'? 

He inherited a team that the season previous had been in the play-offs and were comfortably top half. In fact, it's largely a team that's been top half in this league for the past 5-6 years. It's a team that's been well invested in. 

Neil Warnock literally took a team from the bottom spot in the league into the automatic promotion places within two years. 

Rowett's done a good/okay job, but there were few better jobs available at this level when he took over - and there still is! 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Name another manager that would be able to untangle the mess Rowett inherited, haven't we been through enough managers recently to realise the grass is not always greener.

Name a manager that would be able to untangle the mess Rowett has made, could the team he has built be turned into a team that can play football? 

10 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Like I said, if I could see that progress was being made, I'd be happy, but it's not. The results are no better, but the football is dire now too. And yeah, it would be nice to give a manager time to sort it, but you have to believe in where the manager is taking you, and I just don't with Rowett. I don't want to spend 2 seasons watching us turn into a bunch of hoofball merchants, and then have to spend 3 more watching the next manager turn us back into a decent ball-playing team.

16 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Somebody said it on another thread, Rowett wants his lead striker to chase down, harry and I’d add create from running into space or behind defenders, Vydra would then link up feeding off it all. 

Nugent not quite that man but miles more  that type of player than sadly Martin who wants it fed into him most of the time. 

You mean like have the ball passed to him so we retain possession of the ball, rather than a hopeful punt forward in the vague direction? I dream of that type of football again when we passed to our own players rather than the drivel that we are being dished up at the moment.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Like I said, if I could see that progress was being made, I'd be happy, but it's not. The results are no better, but the football is dire now too. And yeah, it would be nice to give a manager time to sort it, but you have to believe in where the manager is taking you, and I just don't with Rowett. I don't want to spend 2 seasons watching us turn into a bunch of hoofball merchants, and then have to spend 3 more watching the next manager turn us back into a decent ball-playing team.

Cardiff, Villa, M'boro, Bristol and several other championship sides are not playing attractive football. I would say only Fulham are playing that at the moment, and they are achieving it with 2 quality players in midfield who would fit in to any top half premiership side.

9 minutes ago, bcnram said:

You mean like have the ball passed to him so we retain possession of the ball, rather than a hopeful punt forward in the vague direction? I dream of that type of football again when we passed to our own players rather than the drivel that we are being dished up at the moment.

Sure do.

Just didn’t want to feed the Martin haters though. Did say sadly, as we have moved on and I fully expect he will, but yes was pining for that football tonight, just disappointed in truth.

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's been done to the death, but 'mess than Rowett inherited'? 

He inherited a team that the season previous had been in the play-offs and were comfortably top half. In fact, it's largely a team that's been top half in this league for the past 5-6 years. It's a team that's been well invested in. 

Neil Warnock literally took a team from the bottom spot in the league into the automatic promotion places within two years. 

Rowett's done a good/okay job, but there were few better jobs available at this level when he took over - and there still is! 

23 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Is this advocating getting rid of Rowett then?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm baffled by them.

We score a goal against a team in poor form, who haven't drawn all season and have just been beaten 5-2 by Forest and we defend the lead for the rest of the game.

Who else expected us to concede because I know I expected it.

I think Gary Rowett needs to have a watch of the old Jim Smith videos from the archives.

thats not tactics.

thats morale of a team who cant buy a win, whatever they try and do, its lack of confidence, its lack of bravery, its panicing and playing horrible percentage balls, because of all of the above is a lack of being brave to try and play confident possession football.

IM PRETTY CERTAIN Gary isnt telling them to do things differently than he did when we when we had won 5 in a row.

Welcome to learn how football works.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

He was supposed to be something different. He sure is, my Norwich mates warned me, honest truer but he’s not looked like scoring goals for some time.

He bought with him. Oh for Nugent and Vydra to click again.

Jerome is looking a short term, slightly upgraded but older version of Connor Sammon right now! 

See this is what confuses me about his signing because Jerome being a 'different option' was flaunted around a lot when we signed him. From what we've seen so far, he's a slightly quicker, slightly bigger Nugent with a significantly worse touch. He's not a hold-up player (which we had but got rid of), he's not technical player, he's not lightening quick nor is he a finisher, he's basically exactly what we had already in Nuge. It's never a good sign when the club selling him genuinely aren't bothered that he's leaving either.

I was puzzled when we wanted him in the summer and I was doubtful when we got him in January. I really don't get Rowett's obsession with the man.

Same for me.

He seems just a rough and tumble, hustle and bustle big lad. Wouldn’t question his effort, he’s a bit pacey but that’s it; we had a striker in form with Vydra surely we wanted a partner for him in the Troy Deeney mound for an upgrade on Nuge?

Yep I don’t get it either, Jerome doesn’t feel nor look the right fit for existing personnel at present.

Waiting to be proved wrong, doubt it somehow. Saying that, if he scores the winner against forest I’ll cut him some slack :lol:

He reminds me of Conor Sammon in every aspect of his game. He works hard, is pretty quick, but has a terrible first touch. Add into to the mix, zero movement, and little goal threat, we have another Sammon on our hands. I genuinely hope he proves me wrong, because he seems like a good guy, however the signs are not good so far.

7 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Somebody said it on another thread, Rowett wants his lead striker to chase down, harry and I’d add create from running into space or behind defenders, Vydra would then link up feeding off it all. 

Nugent not quite that man but miles more  that type of player than sadly Martin who wants it fed into him most of the time. 

It's odd isn't it Zag zig that a footballer should play better when the ball is passed to him? :blink:

6 hours ago, lrm14 said:

See this is what confuses me about his signing because Jerome being a 'different option' was flaunted around a lot when we signed him. From what we've seen so far, he's a slightly quicker, slightly bigger Nugent with a significantly worse touch. He's not a hold-up player (which we had but got rid of), he's not technical player, he's not lightening quick nor is he a finisher, he's basically exactly what we had already in Nuge. It's never a good sign when the club selling him genuinely aren't bothered that he's leaving either.

I was puzzled when we wanted him in the summer and I was doubtful when we got him in January. I really don't get Rowett's obsession with the man.

In the transfer market Rowett is just one of those Sam Allardyce type of managers who signs the same types of players.

Curtis Davies, Tom Huddlestone, Joe Ledley, Cameron Jerome...old players who have been there and done it.

It wouldn't surprise me if we signed Peter Crouch and Michael Owen in the summer.

Have to say I just did not understand what we were doing last night. The OP is right, what was the plan and when it clearly was dog poo even at 1-0, no real will to change anything.

Holloway at least had a plan. Lump it to the big guy and win the second ball. Little Angry was saying last night, we give these a set piece with 10 to go and we will muck it up.. Yes that's exactly what happened.

If anyone tells me a draw away from home is a good point, I won't be responsible for my actions.

GR doesn't seem to care about style, scoring a second or overall performance. Score first and defend like bally ho is his mantra. How the hell did he dupe Mel at the interview. 

GR inspirational and visionary reaction last night:

"We're making silly mistakes at the wrong time. I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight, but we've played badly before and we've won the game.

"If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played.

9 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Like I said, if I could see that progress was being made, I'd be happy, but it's not. The results are no better, but the football is dire now too.

And yeah, it would be nice to give a manager time to sort it, but you have to believe in where the manager is taking you, and I just don't with Rowett...

And with all our experienced players you wonder if they believe either?!

13 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

GR doesn't seem to care about style, scoring a second or overall performance. Score first and defend like bally ho is his mantra. How the hell did he dupe Mel at the interview. 

GR inspirational and visionary reaction last night:

"We're making silly mistakes at the wrong time. I think our overall performance has to be better than that tonight, but we've played badly before and we've won the game.

"If you see the game out and you defend for the full 90 minutes, you win the game, you keep the clean sheet, we all go home happy and we're not really bothered how we played.

I’ve avoided saying too much about GR at present as for me at least the jury is very much still out.

But if that’s the post-match quote he came up with last night then it’s more than a little concerning.

8 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Is this advocating getting rid of Rowett then?

It's more a case of he should never have been appointed in the first place. If he were sacked tonight, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and I might actually start looking forward to games again.

Archived