What are our tactics?

I'm baffled by them.

We score a goal against a team in poor form, who haven't drawn all season and have just been beaten 5-2 by Forest and we defend the lead for the rest of the game.

Who else expected us to concede because I know I expected it.

I think Gary Rowett needs to have a watch of the old Jim Smith videos from the archives.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desperately cling onto a clean sheet and hope one of the forwards wins it for us. It's basically exactly the same thing we were doing under clement, with just a slightly different way of implementing it.  With the exact same results - it's fine while everyone's confident and on form, and your luck holds, but it's massively susceptible to a few bad results turning into a nosedive. 

Exactly ..  and a nose dive is where we are at lose to forest and Cardiff both on the telly and we will be out of the playoff positions ..  biggest challenge then will be to try the kids for next season   unfortunately all of them are out on season long loans .  It's a comedy and a tragedy rolled into one .

Gary is making Nigel's Derby look cavalier  and attack minded.

Unfortunately, in the last 3 months it seems to have reverted back to the crud that was being served up in the first 3 months of the season. 

A real shame but it's not pretty. I don't think we'll make the play offs. That could be judged as a failure and sackable. 

No idea why we didn't just go at then after scoring. You wouldn't mind drawing if you at least saw a football match.

2 holding midfielders really starting to grind my gears too, especially when they are all approaching pension age and 2 of them keep breaking down. 

January was the perfect opportunity to put things right and we royally ballsed it up. 

PistoldPete2
15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm baffled by them.

We score a goal against a team in poor form, who haven't drawn all season and have just been beaten 5-2 by Forest and we defend the lead for the rest of the game.

Who else expected us to concede because I know I expected it.

I think Gary Rowett needs to have a watch of the old Jim Smith videos from the archives.

No idea. Same problem against fulham... its obvious their weakness is defence but we play two CDMs. Also obvious neither vydra nor thorne were fit for saturday.. he plays them both one goes off injured the other played 90 mins below par then not match fit for tonight. As for ledley 15 mins then injured. Do we not test these players for fitness before we pick the team? Midfield is a mess as its been all season. Clueless. 

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Desperately cling onto a clean sheet and hope one of the forwards wins it for us. It's basically exactly the same thing we were doing under clement, with just a slightly different way of implementing it.  With the exact same results - it's fine while everyone's confident and on form, and your luck holds, but it's massively susceptible to a few bad results turning into a nosedive. 

There are similarities to the Clement era on the pitch but Rowett has had to move players on and cut costs unlike the crazy signings we made under Clement which is not exactly fully Rowett’s fault

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

No idea. Same problem against fulham... its obvious their weakness is defence but we play two CDMs. Also obvious neither vydra nor thorne were fit for saturday.. he plays them both one goes off injured the other played 90 mins below par then not match fit for tonight. As for ledley 15 mins then injured. Do we not test these players for fitness before we pick the team? Midfield is a mess as its been all season. Clueless. 

Midfield has been a mess for me but we have left ourselves woefully short of a variety of styles from midfield and we are very limited and one dimensional 

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

There are similarities to the Clement era on the pitch but Rowett has had to move players on and cut costs unlike the crazy signings we made under Clement which is not exactly fully Rowett’s fault

Most of the signings under Clement were not Clements fault as he wasnt in charge of transfers. Rowett is, so the buck stops with him. In what parallel universe can it make any sense to sell Hughes and sign Lawrence and somehow end up out of pocket? 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If he's cutting costs why sign Jerome?

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Most of the signings under Clement were not Clements fault as he wasnt in charge of transfers. Rowett is, so the buck stops with him. In what parallel universe can it make any sense to sell Hughes and sign Lawrence and somehow end up out of pocket? 

I am not sure we end up out of pocket in cash terms but I would agree on the pitch

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

If he's cutting costs why sign Jerome?

I do believe he is cutting costs but I was disappointed when we signed Jerome for £1.5 million ( a short loan would have been fine) and even more so to learn that he tried to sign him in the summer - just not a player I can get optimistic about

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Rowett has still made a fair few signings though, and for quite a lot of money (and wages).  If my maths is right, 6 of the starters tonight were his signings, plus Jerome off the bench, so that's half of the team.  If we were 12th but there were clear signs Rowett was building something, I would be much happier than I am now. As it is, I don't like where Rowett is taking us, and I'm not even convinced he's capable of getting us there anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I do believe he is cutting costs but I was disappointed when we signed Jerome for £1.5 million ( a short loan would have been fine) and even more so to learn that he tried to sign him in the summer - just not a player I can get optimistic about

He was supposed to be something different. He sure is, my Norwich mates warned me, honest truer but he’s not looked like scoring goals for some time.

He bought with him. Oh for Nugent and Vydra to click again.

Jerome is looking a short term, slightly upgraded but older version of Connor Sammon right now! 

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

He was supposed to be something different. He sure is, my Norwich mates warned me, honest truer but he’s not looked like scoring goals for some time.

He bought with him. Oh for Nugent and Vydra to click again.

Jerome is looking a short term, slightly upgraded but older version of Connor Sammon right now! 

I still can’t understand how Martin and Vydra weren’t given a good go together because I an still convinced they would be our best partnership ( I know we would need a midfielder to pass it to Martin ) 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I still can’t understand how Martin and Vydra weren’t given a good go together because I an still convinced they would be our best partnership ( I know we would need a midfielder to pass it to Martin ) 

Somebody said it on another thread, Rowett wants his lead striker to chase down, harry and I’d add create from running into space or behind defenders, Vydra would then link up feeding off it all. 

Nugent not quite that man but miles more  that type of player than sadly Martin who wants it fed into him most of the time. 

20 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Rowett has still made a fair few signings though, and for quite a lot of money (and wages).  If my maths is right, 6 of the starters tonight were his signings, plus Jerome off the bench, so that's half of the team.  If we were 12th but there were clear signs Rowett was building something, I would be much happier than I am now. As it is, I don't like where Rowett is taking us, and I'm not even convinced he's capable of getting us there anyway. 

Name another manager that would be able to untangle the mess Rowett inherited, haven't we been through enough managers recently to realise the grass is not always greener.

Archived