Fulham: In a nutshell

Ellafella

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Fair point. When Palmer was brought on he "ran" the game...that's when we created things. Before that we didn't have a grip. I hope GR reflects and ponders on that. 

He did the same at Reading got to get him in from the off  Load of rubbish to say him and Vydra can't play together good players can always play together 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulham in a nutshell?

Fell down a lot, rolled around a lot, got lucky with the bounce of the ball, scored 1 good goal, had a good midfield player in Cairney, wasted about a quarter of the match fannying about at goal kicks, throw ins and free kicks. Apart from that, some good fans and a nice ground to go to next season!?

Liked the nutshell. Thought Kasey had a big impact when on. After he was scythed down and very angry I expected him to take the game by the scruff of the neck, run through their whole team a few times and score a hattrick. But either he took a knock, went into his shell or Fulham switched things and marked him out of the game. 

Was a really good attempt by Keogh at the end, but unfortunately a good save. Anya did well when on the field and clearly has an understanding with Vydra. 

Palmer should be starting. "Where?' is the question. Our weakest players are out in the wide areas, partly because none of them is naturally a wide player.

Nugent or Palmer for Jerome. 

Palmer for Weimann or Lawrence. 

Palmer for Thorne/Ledley?

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Liked the nutshell. Thought Kasey had a big impact when on. After he was scythed down and very angry I expected him to take the game by the scruff of the neck, run through their whole team a few times and score a hattrick. But either he took a knock, went into his shell or Fulham switched things and marked him out of the game. 

Was a really good attempt by Keogh at the end, but unfortunately a good save. Anya did well when on the field and clearly has an understanding with Vydra. 

Palmer should be starting. "Where?' is the question. Our weakest players are out in the wide areas, partly because none of them is naturally a wide player.

For me @Carl Sagan, Nugent for Jerome and Palmer for Lawrence...with his energy and skill, we could bounce back strongly. 

23 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Fulham in a nutshell?

Fell down a lot, rolled around a lot, got lucky with the bounce of the ball, scored 1 good goal, had a good midfield player in Cairney, wasted about a quarter of the match fannying about at goal kicks, throw ins and free kicks. Apart from that, some good fans and a nice ground to go to next season!?

We'll be lucky .

I was excited all week to see Palmer start, I honestly thought he would have been the difference against Fulham, he just seems a creative spark.

Let's be honest 99 percent of fans would have started him and imo only a fool wouldn't have. 2 goals in 2 games, he needed to start.

Maybe with a player like him on the pitch our defense may not take so much of a back side smashing.

Sith Happens

I decided to do my own in a nutshell, I've given it lots of thought... So here goes

Fulham in a nutshell. 

We lost. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think we could take a leaf out of fulhams book and go 4141 with vydra and palmer in the middle, and one holding player. I liked the way that johansen and cairney stayed close and controlled possession. And Palmer certainly added something in the middle.

we have to stick with weimann and lawrence because we don't have any other options.

nugent v jerome? Toss a coin? Nugent has struggled. Is he carrying an injury?

Jerome needs to throw himself into it a bit more, hold it up and gets some shots off. 

Fulham in a nutshell, they've got some good players playing nice football but didn't really breakthrough our defence with the exception of 2 bits of schoolboy defending from Fozzy and Keogh. Similar to our Mac team, except they are far more professional. Constant play acting and time wasting, but very clever with their cynical fouls anytime we had a potential break on. The useless ref allowed them to get away with it every time. It's the kind of thing you see from the teams at the very top of the premier. 

Great post Ellafella. A few comments, if I may:

2. I think Palmer has played his way in but not sure where we'd play him - you thinking push Vid's on or play Palmer as a CAM behind Vids?

3. There were quite a lot of Fulham fans but their songs were pretty poor - all 3 of them. Who'd want to be known as 'The Whites' - how dull and, in this day and age, racist (I jest of course).

15. CJ - yeah... about that.... he worked hard but really never got into it. He had a good chance when Hudds (I think) played a sublime pass over the top and CJ needed to bring it down on the run but basically scuffed it out for a goal kick. If I was Hudds I'd have been rather cross about it...

16. Best thing Tom did was fly in with that nasty tackle - at least he messed his hair up a bit. 

Tom Cairney - good player but I so wanted to punch him in the throat - the smug git. He has that Grealish swagger that makes me want Martin Kuhl back just so he can scythe him down with one of those 10-yard-long sliding 'tackles'. Ah... Martin Kuhl... there was a nutter.

51 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

2. I think Palmer has played his way in but not sure where we'd play him - you thinking push Vid's on or play Palmer as a CAM behind Vids?

3. There were quite a lot of Fulham fans but their songs were pretty poor - all 3 of them. Who'd want to be known as 'The Whites' - how dull and, in this day and age, racist (I jest of course).

15. CJ - yeah... about that.... he worked hard but really never got into it. He had a good chance when Hudds (I think) played a sublime pass over the top and CJ needed to bring it down on the run but basically scuffed it out for a goal kick. If I was Hudds I'd have been rather cross about it...

16. Best thing Tom did was fly in with that nasty tackle - at least he messed his hair up a bit. 

Tom Cairney - good player but I so wanted to punch him in the throat - the smug git. He has that Grealish swagger that makes me want Martin Kuhl back just so he can scythe him down with one of those 10-yard-long sliding 'tackles'. Ah... Martin Kuhl... there was a nutter.

Thanks for your kind words Sir. You're right @RaichCarter, the issue is where to play Palmer...I would be tempted to try him up top in place of Cam as an experiment, or drop TL and put him on the left. He has skill and product...and lots of desire. 

2 hours ago, RaichCarter said:

the pass to Wisdom, who should have buried it, was sublime

21 hours ago, Paul71 said:

nutshell

[nuht-shel]

Word Origin

noun

the shell of a nut.

Idioms

2. in a nutshell, in very brief form; in a few words:

Just tell me the story in a nutshell.

I just though @Ellafella wrote it from inside a giant nutshell...

At the risk of inviting the wrath of some, can I also suggest that Richard Keogh goes back to concentrating on his own job instead of abandoning the player he should have been looking after (who gleefully accepted the space and scored). He went through a period of playing so well that even I who doesn't rate him as highly as some others was impressed.

13 minutes ago, bcnram said:

At the risk of inviting the wrath of some, can I also suggest that Richard Keogh goes back to concentrating on his own job instead of abandoning the player he should have been looking after (who gleefully accepted the space and scored). He went through a period of playing so well that even I who doesn't rate him as highly as some others was impressed.

Don't think either of CD's played well and haven't now for a couple of games.  They are being pulled out of position mostly when trying to cover the flanks.

2 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

I see the same people who wanted everyone to get behind previous management can't wait to have a dig at the present lot,just because he doesn't play that wonderful free flowing football they love ,the same football that won us nowt

Hmmm,to be fair I'd rather watch that than non wonderful,non free flowing football that's also winning us nowt.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

I rate Keogh massively but he’s been all over the show the last two games. Needs to regain his positional awareness, did the same for readings second by going charging out and leaving the space he’s supposed to be occupying. Zonal systems only work if players stay in their zones. 

Archived