Stadium atmosphere

RiddingsRam

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Oh and bring back tackling, nothing gets a crowd going more than a crunching tackle !!! I blame Pep and his pansys 

Ooh we can't have tackling.

you've only got to wave your tackle at an opponent and its a yellow card nowadays.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, richinspain said:

2vbnerr.jpg&key=aedb8ba5ed5435d38f4905bf

I wouldn’t be so sure.

I remember seeing that picture as well and my thoughts were the same as yours.There do seem to be more women at games these days though and I’m all for it.Nothing but nothing will ever beat the atmosphere at the BBG ,though,and a lot of it was to do with the proximity of supporters to the pitch.We all seem set further back now,sadly.

11 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

I remember seeing that picture as well and my thoughts were the same as yours.There do seem to be more women at games these days though and I’m all for it.Nothing but nothing will ever beat the atmosphere at the BBG ,though,and a lot of it was to do with the proximity of supporters to the pitch.We all seem set further back now,sadly.

I've never understood why women want to go to football. It worries me to think of all the badly parked cars around the ground.

I don't think you can create an atmosphere. I think it's natural. Either the football is amazing, or it's so crap that the fans pull together and laugh. The early SM days when he came in, the football was sublime and the atmosphere was electric. That comeback against Yeovil, the last minute winner against Boro where Sammon fell over and nutted Given's knee... the late winner at Watford. The fans were great. On the other end, in our PL season the fans were awesome at times. I remember singing we are derby super derby for about 25 minutes straight away at Pompey. They scored twice during that chant and it didn't even falter and kept going. I lived on the Isle of Wight at the time, and the Pompey fans on the boat back couldn't compute it. 

At the minute, we are a decent side. Nothing dreadful, nothing magical. We are what we are. Plus, over the last few years expectations have grown, and there are glory hunter types at PP when there never were before. They don't help. 

But IMO what also doesn't help, is a group of folks in the SS having a go at people for not singing. If people want to sing, they will. You can't make them. 

16 hours ago, ossieram said:

The thing that winds me up more than the lack of atmosphere is the people that moan about it whilst doing nothing at all to contribute to it.

I'm in D block in the South stand and there are a few of us that try to get the songs going at every game, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At the Norwich game, we started a song aimed at E block and they came back at us with songs of their own. This carried on for about 15 minutes and we also tried to get G block involved (failed miserably) But At least we give it a go.

People just need to stop being shy or stop thinking it's cool to stand there looking hard in their fake Stone Island.

You mean you can get fake stone island?

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Is it just not the curse of modern day football? Too many tourists having a "day out" I see it all the time around me, mum, Dad and two kids. Can't find there seat 5 mins into the game (its numbers and letters ffs) turn round and stare at anyone  vocal, that's why the atmosphere is rubbish it's too diluted with people who don't give a ****. Reduce the capacity to 20k shrink the ground and ban match day tickets for anyone who hasn't been in 2 years. There would be a noticeable difference !

Oh and bring back tackling, nothing gets a crowd going more than a crunching tackle !!! I blame Pep and his pansys 

A bit harsh TR, I’m coming over in April as a “tourist” basing my whole trip on being in Derby the weekend of the 7th and going to PP for the first time. My old man was born in Derby but was abandoned as a three year old during the war and sent to Australia as an orphan, told he had no family. I’ve been fortunate to be able to travel to Derby half a dozen times searching for family the last few years and feel like I’m taking a part of my old man with me to this game and can guarantee you that there won’t be a more passionate and proud supporter whatever the result that does give a **** at the ground. And at around 6 grand a pop to come over, you reckon I shouldn’t be allowed to go. 

On the subject of noise, I went to the Fulham away game last season and thought the atmosphere in the away section was awesome, highlight of my trip. Just can’t understand that you can’t take beers back to your seat. Spent days at the footy and cricket over here drinking and never really had any problems. Certainly adds to the atmosphere!

2 hours ago, Stagtime said:

A bit harsh TR, I’m coming over in April as a “tourist” basing my whole trip on being in Derby the weekend of the 7th and going to PP for the first time. My old man was born in Derby but was abandoned as a three year old during the war and sent to Australia as an orphan, told he had no family. I’ve been fortunate to be able to travel to Derby half a dozen times searching for family the last few years and feel like I’m taking a part of my old man with me to this game and can guarantee you that there won’t be a more passionate and proud supporter whatever the result that does give a **** at the ground. And at around 6 grand a pop to come over, you reckon I shouldn’t be allowed to go. 

On the subject of noise, I went to the Fulham away game last season and thought the atmosphere in the away section was awesome, highlight of my trip. Just can’t understand that you can’t take beers back to your seat. Spent days at the footy and cricket over here drinking and never really had any problems. Certainly adds to the atmosphere!

You should be allowed sir (I meant all the others ) :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Ramchop said:

Can't wait for the "ironic" monkey chants then...

For future reference, can you let us know the difference between your humour and bigotry. Just so I know when you're being serious.

Can you change your username, as I am a vegetarian and it offends me.

(Bit silly being over-touchy isn’t it???)

6 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't think you can create an atmosphere. I think it's natural. Either the football is amazing, or it's so crap that the fans pull together and laugh. The early SM days when he came in, the football was sublime and the atmosphere was electric. That comeback against Yeovil, the last minute winner against Boro where Sammon fell over and nutted Given's knee... the late winner at Watford. The fans were great. On the other end, in our PL season the fans were awesome at times. I remember singing we are derby super derby for about 25 minutes straight away at Pompey. They scored twice during that chant and it didn't even falter and kept going. I lived on the Isle of Wight at the time, and the Pompey fans on the boat back couldn't compute it. 

At the minute, we are a decent side. Nothing dreadful, nothing magical. We are what we are. Plus, over the last few years expectations have grown, and there are glory hunter types at PP when there never were before. They don't help. 

But IMO what also doesn't help, is a group of folks in the SS having a go at people for not singing. If people want to sing, they will. You can't make them. 

Yes it was brilliant that year in the Prem we always knew we were going to lose but nobody cared Full house every match I can remember going to Blackburn taking 7,000 there when we had been relegated 3 months before  Very few clubs were more than one section sing certainly can't think of any in Championship and only the Kop sing at Anfield and nobody sings at the City ground they just mime "to my leaking tyre " about an island 300 miles from Nottingham 

I’m female and I sing in the East stand. There’s a few ladies who sing near me. So that’s knocked that on the head. 

I cant understand how it’s changed to the fans being entitled to a good performance, so much so that if they get an iffy one they sit there like mutes. Football used to be in your blood, your team, your ground, your passion. It’s just lost it’s way and turned into a spectator sport. Maybe Sky has done it? In my mind, the team are up against it you shout more to encourage them, but more than that, you intimidate the opposition. So while you’re moaning about the lack of performance think about that - the opposition are getting a boost out of your whinging. We used to be all in it together.

The South Stand. Well there’s not much to say except have a look at them, 90% standing with their arms folded. 

Why all the daft comments about not wanting clappers etc? When I was a kid we had stonking great big wooden rattles and thankfully nobody stuck their nose in the air about them. The safety police have banned them but they’re cardboard now, so get of your high horses about them! 

It is what it is I suppose.

I do wish my stand (East) would sing a bit more even if its just popular chants / songs - you end feeling a bit of a Charlie if you join with the North Stand doing since I was young and no one else does. Then Mr and Mrs sucking on a lemon look at you as if you are a closet hooligan. ... still ... its all good when we score and plenty loud enough when exciting stuff happens. David's right a couple of good wins the level of feel good improves, folk get less inhibited.  

35 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Said it a hundred times before............Fans have become pundits and critics. They tend to stand/sit with arms folded in judgement!!

This is a good point, two behind me at Sheff last week,

whos that to? Pass it to our players, get it forward, what are you lumping it forward for? Keep the ball Derby, why are you heading it there? Why didn't he head it? Why are we taking everything so quick? Why are we so slow to take throw ins? Who's that to? Pass it to our players, get it forward, what are you lumping it forward for? Keep the ball Derby, why are you.............

Repeat and repeat and repeat for 90 minutes (well 60 mins, I moved seats eventually)

Football isn't an exact science, players make mistakes, passes go astray, but a good proportion of supporters nowadays watch Match of the Day a couple of times and suddenly think they're Alan Shearer.

Archived