Stadium atmosphere

RiddingsRam

21 minutes ago, curb said:

Football isn't an exact science, players make mistakes, passes go astray, but a good proportion of supporters nowadays watch Match of the Day a couple of times and suddenly think they're Alan Shearer.

If you tried to say that they know a lot about football, I'd suggest changing the name for someone more suitable. :ermm:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Bang £200 on the price of a season ticket, but include unlimited beer for an hour before kick off.

That should do the trick.

Sounds like a challenge to get your money's worth, take @Boycie to a buffet and he loads up his pockets with carrier bags, feeds the family for a week after

28 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Bang £200 on the price of a season ticket, but include unlimited beer for an hour before kick off.

That should do the trick.

Agree...should get the kids started earlier than 18 if you ask me.

DM5c0vJW0AAXChh.jpg

9 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't think you can create an atmosphere. I think it's natural. Either the football is amazing, or it's so crap that the fans pull together and laugh. The early SM days when he came in, the football was sublime and the atmosphere was electric. That comeback against Yeovil, the last minute winner against Boro where Sammon fell over and nutted Given's knee... the late winner at Watford. The fans were great. On the other end, in our PL season the fans were awesome at times. I remember singing we are derby super derby for about 25 minutes straight away at Pompey. They scored twice during that chant and it didn't even falter and kept going. I lived on the Isle of Wight at the time, and the Pompey fans on the boat back couldn't compute it. 

At the minute, we are a decent side. Nothing dreadful, nothing magical. We are what we are. Plus, over the last few years expectations have grown, and there are glory hunter types at PP when there never were before. They don't help. 

But IMO what also doesn't help, is a group of folks in the SS having a go at people for not singing. If people want to sing, they will. You can't make them. 

Spot on Troy,I actually think the the atmosphere at pp is pretty good compared to most grounds in the championship anyway. And if the fans can see passion and commitment they will get behind them although I must admit pp has not been rocking much this season compared to the last few years . ???

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

Ah bless, did we hurt your feelings?

Not at all. Just that childish schoolyard chants (presuming that it wasn't aimed at the gay players on the pitch... statistics say at least a couple of the players are) aren't funny. So would you have made monkey noises at the players if D block had started them? Is there any difference between the 2?

Yeah we just all need to enjoy ourselves and get down with the kids!

If you can imagine me, nearly 50 with a skinhead driving my kids to nursery and school and back singing our heads off to this tune, well it's cool to be uncool and all that. Get the windows down kids, keep on bouncing and sing your hearts out!

Nice anthem this for the boys and girls, the young, middle aged, old, and everyone else!

C'mon join in.

"No, I don't wanna know
Where you been or where you're goin'
But I know I won't be home
And you'll be on your own

Who's gonna walk you through the dark side of the morning?
Who's gonna rock you when the sun won't let you sleep?
Who's waking up to drive you home when you're drunk and all alone?
Who's gonna walk you through the dark side of the morning?

D.C.F.C....DERBY....DERBY
D.C.F.C.....DERBY....DERBY
D.C.F.C........................................."

D.C.F.C....Love, Life & Unity.

4 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Not at all. Just that childish schoolyard chants (presuming that it wasn't aimed at the gay players on the pitch... statistics say at least a couple of the players are) aren't funny. So would you have made monkey noises at the players if D block had started them? Is there any difference between the 2?

You said that it was amusing until the homophobic chants started, so I presume you must have been there. If you were there, you know who it was aimed at and you know that it was done in jest with both groups singing about each other and laughing about it.

If that offends you, I suggest you stay indoors, turn off the computer, TV, radio and refrain from reading any form of literature.

Or you could just grow up and stop looking for stuff to whine about.  

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You said that it was amusing until the homophobic chants started, so I presume you must have been there. If you were there, you know who it was aimed at and you know that it was done in jest with both groups singing about each other and laughing about it.

If that offends you, I suggest you stay indoors, turn off the computer, TV, radio and refrain from reading any form of literature.

Or you could just grow up and stop looking for stuff to whine about.  

Or, like the vast majority of people there, I didn't know who it was aimed at as it's behind us

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m female and I sing in the East stand. There’s a few ladies who sing near me. So that’s knocked that on the head. 

I cant understand how it’s changed to the fans being entitled to a good performance, so much so that if they get an iffy one they sit there like mutes. Football used to be in your blood, your team, your ground, your passion. It’s just lost it’s way and turned into a spectator sport. Maybe Sky has done it? In my mind, the team are up against it you shout more to encourage them, but more than that, you intimidate the opposition. So while you’re moaning about the lack of performance think about that - the opposition are getting a boost out of your whinging. We used to be all in it together.

The South Stand. Well there’s not much to say except have a look at them, 90% standing with their arms folded. 

Why all the daft comments about not wanting clappers etc? When I was a kid we had stonking great big wooden rattles and thankfully nobody stuck their nose in the air about them. The safety police have banned them but they’re cardboard now, so get of your high horses about them! 

Sorry Ewe those clappers are a joke bloody awful boring sound  Have you ever tried to watch a Leicester match That childish noise would never encourage a player to play better  Glad you sing in East stand keep it up but please no clappers ?

44 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Sorry Ewe those clappers are a joke bloody awful boring sound  Have you ever tried to watch a Leicester match That childish noise would never encourage a player to play better  Glad you sing in East stand keep it up but please no clappers ?

Those wooden rattles were bloody annoying too. But if you complained you’d risk getting smacked on the head with one and there was no St John Ambulance people in those days. If people don’t want a plastic atmosphere they need to get on and create a real one then 

36 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Those wooden rattles were bloody annoying too. But if you complained you’d risk getting smacked on the head with one and there was no St John Ambulance people in those days. If people don’t want a plastic atmosphere they need to get on and create a real one then 

Yes couldn't agree more they have to create properly not artificially I have a season ticket in the South stand and we do at least try No I don't stand with my arms folded neither do most in there It would be like a library without the South stand 

48 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes couldn't agree more they have to create properly not artificially I have a season ticket in the South stand and we do at least try No I don't stand with my arms folded neither do most in there It would be like a library without the South stand 

Ok. I’ll take a photo to prove it and post on here. 

15 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

when was this 1935? :D

I'm not sure how much the argument of 'the football needs to be good' holds up. There's definitely a little truth to it, but looking everywhere; not just Derby, and it's apparent that's not the extent of it.

Plenty of stadiums that were described as some of the 'best atmosphere' or 'loudest' in the country were playing host to unappealing styles of play.

Equally, there are countless teams playing great football in stadiums that only make a sound when a goal is scored.

Atmosphere or the lack of it seems to be more ingrained in the culture of a club rather than being based on the football, I don't think Derby's a worst offender but the only atmosphere that gets generated at Pride Park are during big games like the Playoffs and Forest games. We're a 'make noise for important games' crowd. 

Sure, I'm of the age where Derby's never been particularly good in my lifetime but in seasons often reminisced about as being the best of recent times the memory of the atmosphere is exaggerated somewhat. 

If we play a league game at home this season that gets us over the promotion line, or we play in the playoffs without completing falling apart like against Hull, the atmosphere would miraculously improve for those games - regardless of the style of play.

Archived