Sam Winnall torn ACL, out for the season

LauraH

Well ****. Not much we can do, at the end of the transfer window we had a full complement of strikers, this sort of thing can’t be legislated for. This is why the emergency loan window should still exist imo, that would allow us to bring in a prem youth loan to see us through until the end of the season, as it stands we will have no choice but to use an u23. Luckily for us we have a few strikers that we rotate anyway so no single one forms am absolutely key part of the team- however as much as I personally am not a fan of Winnalls general play, I think we will miss his goal scoring. Hopefully Lewis Walker can take on the mantle, just annoying we’ve loaned out the rest of the U23s as well.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He added: “His movement meant he twisted his knee, but he got up and carried on. He will probably be the first player to tear an ACL and go on to then have a shot, win us a penalty and make four runs. That shows his determination.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/02/winnall-suffers-acl-blow

Watching those Barca players rolling around the floor after touching laces will be even harder to watch now. 

It's a shame in the sense it does leave us a little light. Only really have Nugent and Jerome, who are both not likely to last 90 minutes too often. Probably have to make use of Weimann centrally occasionally, and maybe an opportunity to make the bench for Lewis Walker. The last thing I'd really want to do is move Vydra.

With that all said, I never thought Winnall was anything special. He was a trier and ran about a bit, took chances in the box, but he lacked any top end speed to really be what he should be with the rest of his attributes. He was perfect for off the bench and the occasional start here and there, and nothing more.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

It's a shame in the sense it does leave us a little light. Only really have Nugent and Jerome, who are both not likely to last 90 minutes too often. Probably have to make use of Weimann centrally occasionally, and maybe an opportunity to make the bench for Lewis Walker. The last thing I'd really want to do is move Vydra.

With that all said, I never thought Winnall was anything special. He was a trier and ran about a bit, took chances in the box, but he lacked any top end speed to really be what he should be with the rest of his attributes. He was perfect for off the bench and the occasional start here and there, and nothing more.

So on one hand, we are now light...... but on the other hand, he wasn’t anything special......

Think most (barring Wolves) would love the options we have up top..... 

Winnall will be a miss. Offered a great deal here, but we have options. DN, CJ, KP, AW, TL, MV who can be chopped and changed about.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well ****. Not much we can do, at the end of the transfer window we had a full complement of strikers, this sort of thing can’t be legislated for. 

Not true ...   with one now out, all it takes is for elderly Nugent to be out for a few games ,as he has been often since he arrived and who or what would we have on the bench.

Rowett's view that the squad is too big is flawed

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

So on one hand, we are now light...... but on the other hand, he wasn’t anything special......

Think most (barring Wolves) would love the options we have up top..... 

Winnall will be a miss. Offered a great deal here, but we have options. DN, CJ, KP, AW, TL, MV who can be chopped and changed about.

Have you included Kevin Philips as a striking option? 

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Not true ...   with one now out, all it takes is for elderly Nugent to be out for a few games ,as he has been often since he arrived and who or what would we have on the bench.

Poppycock. Nothing more really to add

Just now, Doodle said:

Have you included Kevin Philips as a striking option? 

Kasey Palmer, he’s your direct replacement for Vydra, 

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Really? I can only remember Nugent having any real injury in the first couple of games since he arrived, since then he’s only missed the odd game, certainly not a run of them. In any case, if we tried to cover for all such injuries we’d have a squad far too big to handle of players who would probably never play. It’s unfortunate, but it’s not like we can’t give a youngster a chance, Winnall was hardly a key man.

Archived