Sam Winnall torn ACL, out for the season

LauraH

14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Not my incorrect belief..... :lol:

Yes, your incorrect belief.

As you are clearly failing to see that three central strikers, minus one, is two. Which has literally no bearing whatsoever on my opinion about whether Sam Winnall is a pub player, decent in this league, or Pele reincarnated.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

Opportunity for a young player to get on the bench and maybe some first team minutes, something we've been lacking lately.

Lewis Walker has been scoring for the U23s lately.

This discussion about who can be recalled is a bit pointless to me. They have just been told they aren't in our plans...plans that would have included injuries. It's not a whole raft of injuries....it's one...to someone who was 'bit part'. Unfortunate but not so much that we panic. We have options...good ones...

We generally play with one striker...Jerome and Nugent play there. Weimann could at a push and Vydra and youth players for a game or two if we're desperate. Generally one game a week until the summer. No need to worry yet.

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I would imagine that a couple of fee agent strikers will be training with the club next week, just in case.

Ismael Miller, Victor Anichibe and Carlton Cole would all be options. 

Not good options are they? 

Cole has barely played since 2015 and recently had his contract terminated in the Thai league. 

Same goes for Miller. 

Anichibe's the only one who's played much football recently but isn't he still contracted to his team in China?

We should be o.k, just hope at least one of Jerome and Nuge can stay fit. 

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not good options are they? 

Cole has barely played since 2015 and recently had his contract terminated in the Thai league. 

Same goes for Miller. 

Anichibe's the only one who's played much football recently but isn't he still contracted to his team in China?

We should be o.k, just hope at least one of Jerome and Nuge can stay fit. 

I don't think that they are terrible options given what we require. Unless they turned out to be fantastic in training, they'd only be back up to Nugent and Jerome. If both stay injury and suspension free we could easily get to the end of the season with no issues. Yet if either one is out we are really struggling. The centre forward role in a Rowett team involves expending a lot of energy. It's hard for anyone to last a whole 90 mins. To expect a player over the age of 30 to do it three times in a week would be asking too much. Yet if we had another centre forward he could play 20, 60 and 20 minutes in those games.

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I don't think that they are terrible options given what we require. Unless they turned out to be fantastic in training, they'd only be back up to Nugent and Jerome. If both stay injury and suspension free we could easily get to the end of the season with no issues. Yet if either one is out we are really struggling. The centre forward role in a Rowett team involves expending a lot of energy. It's hard for anyone to last a whole 90 mins. To expect a player over the age of 30 to do it three times in a week would be asking too much. Yet if we had another centre forward he could play 20, 60 and 20 minutes in those games.

I see your point I just don't see any of them being able to manage that basic requirement anymore. Two years ago Cole would probably been the answer, but now?????

I've had a look through and can't see anyone really, probably the best option's are Blackstock or Jérémie Aliadière. However I think we would be better off recalling an U23 instead. 

What's the point of young promising players if they're not going to be used when needed. The whole mentality GR brings to the table is about a team full of quality rather than one player. As long as any youngster that we play knows their role in the team then we'd be fine

I am pretty sure that Winnall would have signed for the Rams if he had scored a few more goals.

Butterfield is definitely coming back to the Rams in May

More likely that Winnall will need to play for a few months before he would be considered as a transfer target for us now.

Sam Winnall, you have been excellent for the Rams. Recover well and we will have another look at you.

Not too worried as it’s in the laps of the gods ,, we could have 5 strikers and they all get injured if the footballing gods have it in for you ,,,we have two aged over 30 and it’s the youngest one that gets the season ending injury?

there is a god,,, he just don’t like us,,, let’s hope he likes rowett 

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Why stop at Carlton Cole, let’s just get them all in training just in case, Bobby D, Phil Gee, Hulse the lot, don’t matter they haven’t played for years as long as they can move :-)

14 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I see your point I just don't see any of them being able to manage that basic requirement anymore. Two years ago Cole would probably been the answer, but now?????

I've had a look through and can't see anyone really, probably the best option's are Blackstock or Jérémie Aliadière. However I think we would be better off recalling an U23 instead. 

We can't recall any U23 strikers, that's why free agents are our only option

8 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

What's the point of young promising players if they're not going to be used when needed. The whole mentality GR brings to the table is about a team full of quality rather than one player. As long as any youngster that we play knows their role in the team then we'd be fine

Injuries are part and parcel of football, it wasn’t god that decided to ship our strikers out on loan.  I’m sure GR would have thought of this before he took the decisions he did.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Injuries are part and parcel of football, it wasn’t god that decided to ship our strikers out on loan.  I’m sure GR would have thought of this before he took the decisions he did.

He did , he had 3 players for one spot and a group of forwards that could adapt in emergencies ,, our injuries under Mac 1 were a joke at one point ,, no clubs trying to stay inside ffp in this division can keep a huge stock of players just in case ,,, villa have parachute money and wolves are banking on going up but you can’t do that season on season without falling foul 

Archived