Derby County F.C. v Norwich City F.C.

Boycie

10 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Just got back from PP; very disappointing performances all over the pitch and one of those games where no-one with the exception of Carson brought their A game. Thought GR’s substitutions were way too late to change the game; he should have taken Thorne off at half time as he was absolutely shocking but somehow he stayed on for 83 minutes. A point was a fair outcome but we really should be beating one man teams like Norwich at home. GR has been far too patient with the likes of Thorne and Lawrence; neither deserve to start at Wednesday and our midfield has got to get a grip; far too pedestrian at the moment. That said, the unbeaten run goes on and Villa are certainly not guaranteed to beat Brum tomorrow so onwards and upwards.

Was surprised that you didn't attack us down your left more.  We had a defensive midfielder sitting in a right back, I thought you would have targeted him!  Very disappointed by Lawrence - look a real prospect when on loan at 1p5wich last season.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes you have to say that four points out of six off a good team is a very good return. That is what I would say here. In reality it does not matter that the away win was the three out of the four. we are a counter attacking team and they did not let us do that today. This is an indication that Norwich are a good team.

3 minutes ago, Danno said:

Not a hope of keeping Maddison - although he loves playing for Farke.  Man City are supposedly interested and with parachute payments finishing this year, we'll need to sell.  May get a loan back as part of the deal or get Angus Gunn in part ex.

Strange season, not a great start followed by a great run, which ended in extra time in the league cup away at Arsenal.  We then played you and got deservedly beat, and didn't win for another 10 games.  We now have the side and the formation the manager wants to play and some of the dead wood is being moved on (Naismith and Martin),  On a good run now, and things are looking good for the future.

Gone down the Director of Football route (like Southampton) and we are unearthing some gems from Germany (Leitner and Zimmerman played today but Trybull is out for the season).  And, unlike our last manager, Farke is not afraid to play youth (Jamal Lewis at left wing back today only made his professional debut in December!) Bodes well for the future.

I enjoyed watching Maddison today, even though he was tearing us to shreds. Enjoy him while it lasts. You brought plenty of fans too, which surprised me a little. Probably a sign of your current form, rather than league position. You probably should have sold Oliviera when you had the chance. He was dog ***** today. Although, along with the majority of our players, he could have just been having an off day 

The central defence plus Carson played well enough, Tom H did well, otherwise we were poor and Norwich looked the better side.

For all that, it was only one defensive jumble that cost us, for the most part they had loads of ball and never looked like scoring.

In previous games, teams have had the ball but we've created frequently on the break, today we couldn't.

I don't want to criticise individuals...but I'm going to suggest we need to shake it up a bit.

Anya, Lawrence, Thorne, Olsson out for the next fixture, I reckon. They weren't at it for us today and there are good players waiting to come in.

Palmer, Weimann, Lesley and Forsyth back.

Nuge is due, too.

Come on Birmingham City!

26 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Just got back from PP; very disappointing performances all over the pitch and one of those games where no-one with the exception of Carson brought their A game. Thought GR’s substitutions were way too late to change the game; he should have taken Thorne off at half time as he was absolutely shocking but somehow he stayed on for 83 minutes. A point was a fair outcome but we really should be beating one man teams like Norwich at home. GR has been far too patient with the likes of Thorne and Lawrence; neither deserve to start at Wednesday and our midfield has got to get a grip; far too pedestrian at the moment. That said, the unbeaten run goes on and Villa are certainly not guaranteed to beat Brum tomorrow so onwards and upwards.

Thorne did well first half but was rubbish second half. Easy to say that we were too late with subs... Rowett was going to make the subs before they scored to be fair. We didn't see much of the ball in the second half but norwich weren't doing much with the possession they had. 

9 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Enjoyed watching Madison today too reminds me of David Speedie in that he is one of those players with loads of ability and a knack of really getting on your nerves.

Except that Maddison appears to have a full set of teeth* :D

*hopefully this won't last long, the little wind up merchant!

36 minutes ago, Danno said:

Was surprised that you didn't attack us down your left more.  We had a defensive midfielder sitting in a right back, I thought you would have targeted him!  Very disappointed by Lawrence - look a real prospect when on loan at 1p5wich last season.

Answered your own question there really, we didn’t attack down the left cause Lawrence is ***** and overruns everything. Seems to be undroppable though which is frustrating..

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Just saw the highlights, still think they were both dives.

Agree, first one was a horrific dive and the second looks dodgy from that angle, though less clear from thta view tbf. They did score from the second one anyway, but I’m pretty sure there was a hint of offside there, and regardless the free kick prior to it was also a dive which wasn’t show on the highlights.

56 minutes ago, Danno said:

He was a bit of a legend for us though!

Don't get me wrong - I really like the man. I wanted him here and I've got a long standing bet on with a mate that he'll win the world cup as England manager.

This season however - he's in my bad books.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Hmmmm.....a creative midfield player...now remind me, what was the name of that blonde haired young kid we let go for peanuts before the season....?

He didn't score many goals though did he... so in terms of the top level his place is as a deeper player?

Maddison pulls worldies out of nowhere quite frequently, a huge premium put on that. 

I know Hughes has played the number 10 role for you.... but in reality he's not a number 10 for a Liverpool or Spurs. 

Perhaps Hughes will end up being a Carrick type player dictacting play from the base of the midfield? 

I get the comparison in that they are both very good on the ball and can dictate games in this league, but I suspect as their careers progress they'll end up very different players with very different roles.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree, first one was a horrific dive and the second looks dodgy from that angle, though less clear from thta view tbf. They did score from the second one anyway, but I’m pretty sure there was a hint of offside there, and regardless the free kick prior to it was also a dive which wasn’t show on the highlights.

Both stonewall penalties to me.

Carson leaves his leg out, Maddionson takes a natural turn when he kicks it by Carson. Then protects himself when falling to ground which is a natural reaction of the arms when you fall down. Not a whole lot of difference between the foul on Jerome by Flint and this foul by Carson - both stonewall...

Jerome was just silly committing the other penalty offence.

3 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

He didn't score many goals though did he... so in terms of the top level his place is as a deeper player?

Maddison pulls worldies out of nowhere quite frequently, a huge premium put on that. 

I know Hughes has played the number 10 role for you.... but in reality he's not a number 10 for a Liverpool or Spurs. 

Perhaps Hughes will end up being a Carrick type player dictacting play from the base of the midfield? 

I get the comparison in that they are both very good on the ball and can dictate games in this league, but I suspect as their careers progress they'll end up very different players with very different roles.

I thought he'd be deeper but he's played on the left/right of a front 3 for Watford in his brief 3(1) appearances. 2 goals and an assist is a decent start. 

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Both stonewall penalties to me.

Carson leaves his leg out, Maddionson takes a natural turn when he kicks it by Carson. Then protects himself when falling to ground which is a natural reaction of the arms when you fall down. Not a whole lot of difference between the foul on Jerome by Flint and this foul by Carson - both stonewall...

Jerome was just silly committing the other penalty offence.

Give your specs a clean. The first is an appalling dive.

52 minutes ago, Doodle said:

You brought plenty of fans too, which surprised me a little. Probably a sign of your current form, rather than league position. You probably should have sold Oliviera when you had the chance. He was dog ***** today. Although, along with the majority of our players, he could have just been having an off day 

We tend to have a very good away following, shouldn't be a surprise. 

Agree with Oliviera.... can't wait to get rid of the waster, he can do one. That's how he has been for months. 

But we've only got 2 strikers, that's why he he wasn't sold in January. In a way its sort of justified that downing tools when you want to leave isn't rewarded and we've let Jerome leave instead, who wanted out but still gave his all. Probably not the best decision for our final league position, but the right player got rewarded when we could let one go. 

Wouldn't be fair to keep Jerome here just because another player is the Incredible Sulk, when Jerome have given us twice the service and ten times the effort. 

Archived