Transfer Deadline Day

Barney1991

What we don't want to do is panic buy. I for one didn't think that we would end up in this position (2nd in the league) at the start of the season.

It is a tough scenario. Do we want promotion this year? (yes should be the answer).

So - do we get quality players on loan to get us across the fabled line then look at building to stay in the Prem, or do we buy now in the hope of getting there (with the risk of high wages and not managing it).

I do not envy Gary in this one. The expectation is sky high due to his team and he could be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

However I don't think we need to buy just for the sake of it. We will see today, but don't build up any hopes

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

What we don't want to do is panic buy. I for one didn't think that we would end up in this position (2nd in the league) at the start of the season.

It is a tough scenario. Do we want promotion this year? (yes should be the answer).

So - do we get quality players on loan to get us across the fabled line then look at building to stay in the Prem, or do we buy now in the hope of getting there (with the risk of high wages and not managing it).

I do not envy Gary in this one. The expectation is sky high due to his team and he could be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

However I don't think we need to buy just for the sake of it. We will see today, but don't build up any hopes

That's the thing, if we don't buy it may well cost us automatic promotion, but how could any one be disappointed if we had to settle for the playoffs?

There are no guarantees, we could well buy a top player for 10 million who breaks his leg first game...our luck suggests he would break both legs.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That's the thing, if we don't buy it may well cost us automatic promotion, but how could any one be disappointed if we had to settle for the playoffs?

There are no guarantees, we could well buy a top player for 10 million who breaks his leg first game...our luck suggests he would break both legs.

On the flip side it could also cost us a top 6 finish given how tight it is at the top if we go on a run of just getting draws in games that we should've won but without that quality we only draw.

5 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Odds on us signing no one today and we just use what we have ?

Need another creative midfielder in and a wide man with some pace and trickery come on gaz need some fresh legs for the final assault ;) 

Isn't the second part what Tom Lawrence is supposed to be? Would be disappointed if we went out and bought another one.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Isn't the second part what Tom Lawrence is supposed to be? Would be disappointed if we went out and bought another one.

He is, doesn’t mean though that we don’t need cover or another option for the second half of the season.

My guess is there will be one GK and one impressive (expensive) winger - someone with extra quality who’s better than any we’ve got!- that seems to be Rowetts plan based on his latest interviews and the impact in his mind of the JR departure.  Originally he’d hoped Lawrence would be it but he’s prob been disappointed so far with his impact without coming out and saying it.

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

My guess is there will be one GK and one impressive (expensive) winger - someone with extra quality who’s better than any we’ve got!- that seems to be Rowetts plan based on his latest interviews and the impact in his mind of the JR departure.  Originally he’d hoped Lawrence would be it but he’s prob been disappointed so far with his impact without coming out and saying it.

And I think that's exactly what we need. 

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us spend in excess of £4-5 million on a wide player today. 

The way Rowett spoke yesterday looks as if Mel has told him if he identifies a player that makes the difference he will back him.

The problem now is finding that player, we certainly need something different to what we already have, we have pace and power but 0 creativity and delivery, we need somebody who can deliver lethal balls for the strikers to attack.  

Can see some twists and turns today 

Archived