The FA adopt the Rooney Rule for all future appointments

R@M

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure they will be getting a job interview because they are qualified. They'll be making a more conscious effort to make sure it includes people from all backgrounds and race. They won't be getting interview JUST because they are of a certain ethnicity.

I'm not entirely sure who would qualify at the moment - Paul Ince and Terry Connor(?) being the obvious choices. EDIT: Chris Houghton being the main choice - slipped my mind. I would definitely take him over Southgate.

I'm still not sure this achieves anything. 

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I am pretty sure they will be getting a job interview because they are qualified. They'll be making a more conscious effort to make sure it includes people from all backgrounds and race. They won't be getting interview JUST because they are of a certain ethnicity.

It's precisely what the Rooney Rule is, surely? Let's say Gareth Southgate packs it up tomorrow. Which black manager makes the shortlist? Chris Hughton? Chris Powell?  Paul Ince? Now re-run that but remove the Rooney Rule, how does the shortlist look then?

11 minutes ago, needles said:

It's precisely what the Rooney Rule is, surely? Let's say Gareth Southgate packs it up tomorrow. Which black manager makes the shortlist? Chris Hughton? Chris Powell?  Paul Ince? Now re-run that but remove the Rooney Rule, how does the shortlist look then?

Gary Rowett?

The ironic point being is that managers/coaches of African descent (and lets face it, this agenda is not driven with other racially based interests) are over represented by approximately 33% and players by approximately 1000% against national statistics. 

Maybe I'm naive, but given the money floating around football at the moment (not just talking about the England job) why wouldn't you want the absolute best person for the job no matter what their race?

On a related note, why don't the Premier League bring in a rule that forces Premiership teams to interview at least one young English manager instead of hiring foreign managers all the time (especially now GR has committed his future to Derby :P) 

I really really hate anti racist stuff when it's always where it's not needed making race an issue

The fact they look so hard into race. I think it's them that have the problem.

I mean I don't see Gary Rowett or Gareth Southgate as white. I just see them as two blokes. 

I don't see Chris Houghton and think "now there's a fine representative of the black race."

I just see a bloke.

But anti racists see race. They see the skin colour. Because race is important to them. So they share something in common with racists. So they're all scum.

What they need to do is name some racist chairman. Obviously they won't. 

'Anyway thanks for your time Mr Allardyce. Can you send the token black guy in now that we all know isn't going to get the job. Let's show how not racist we are.'

**** off and die! 

Right now Stoke would hire an Isis suicide bomber if it could save them from the millions relegation could cost them.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

really really hate anti racist stuff when it's always where it's not needed making race an issue

What an ignorant comment. Racism is still structurally endemic at all levels of our society. If you don’t see that it’s because it doesn’t affect you personally and you haven’t made the effort to be aware of the problem. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

What an ignorant comment. Racism is still structurally endemic at all levels of our society. If you don’t see that it’s because it doesn’t affect you personally and you haven’t made the effort to be aware of the problem. 

Well, in the context of football, give an example of the endemic level of racism? In football, they hire the person they believe is the best man for the job, and why wouldn't they? They don't want to be relegated, or drop positions, they'll lose income from that. In this specific issue, surely interviewing someone just because of their race is positive discrimination, yet still discrimination. I'd feel terrible if I was interviewed just because of my race. 

It's a load of nonsense I tell ya. The ones who point out a manager's race are the racist ones. Game's gone mad, how long before the requirement to interview "gender neutral" people? If it isn't broken then don't fix it. They should pick the best manager for the job regardless of their race. Too many political justice snowflakes who are offended by anything these days.

If The FA feel that it is necessary to introduce this rule then surely they are questioning the integrity of the people in charge of the selection process?

If this is the case, I would expect them to be removed from office immediately. 

So let's have names of the people who have not been interviewing candidates because of the colour of their skin. And while we are at it let's have the names of the candidates that have been discriminated against.

Will British Athletics be following suit I wonder? Will we soon have to have 3 white runners in the 4 x 100m relay team? 

It's all irrelevant anyway, in 10 years there will be no interviews because there will probably only be one candidate that meets the criteria of being a deaf, dumb, blind, disabled, black, transgender, homosexual person.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

I really really hate anti racist stuff when it's always where it's not needed making race an issue

You can add the rainbow laces campaign to that as well.  I don't know why football is so desperate for a high profile gay player to 'come out'.

Now if someone does come out as gay, I won't have a problem with that but to be perfectly honest, I just don't care.  Just like I don't care how much of a womaniser another player may or may not be.  I just want to watch some football.  

Again, maybe its just me but I just treat people as I like to be treated myself and I assume that football teams will get the best people for the job regardless.  We don't need other peoples agendas forced upon us to the point where we have to go out of our way to include individual groups.  Why not also include token interviews for gay, disabled and female candidates as well? 

I understand that racism is one of many issues in society but I can't help feel that the approach used to tackle the problem is the wrong one and quite often tries to put blame on and shame the wrong people. 

8 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Yeah, but you're a woman and see things differently...

"

The FA is trying to rebuild its reputation after the Eniola Aluko crisis. Glenn insisted he was not referring to alleged racist remarks made to Aluko by the former England manager Mark Sampson, which he judges to be much more serious.

But he said: “I think culturally what women will be prepared to put up with has been a bit different from guys.”

Asked to explain what he meant, Glenn added: “I guess banter would be a case in point.

"

Archived