Manchester United F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

Just now, lrm14 said:

As much as I agree that some people are overreacting, I do think the concern of Pearce is very understandable. He's one of the slowest players we've seen recently and he's going up against one of the fastest strikers in the world, that is absolutely cause for concern. We're a very defensive side and we've had a pretty big reshuffle there, which is usually the last place you want to shuffle.

Either way I'm not too concerned about the result. The league is the priority after all. 

We've been great defensively this season. Most of that has included Baird at RB and Forsyth at LB. Neither would hold pace up there with their highest attributes. Tonight our full-backs are Olsson and Wisdom, who are both pretty fast. As a back-four unit I would say we've probably got more pace in there than we have done recently.

The way we set-up also sees us play two defensive midfielders. It's very likely we'll be even more defensive than we have been in away games. We're not going to be playing a high line and I can't imagine there being a lot of space in between the midfield and the defence. United will be forced to do what we've had to do in the past against sides who have come to PP to defend. Either they'll need to pass it through us, which if they do then you hold your hands up because the difference in quality will show. If they can't do that, they'll be knocking balls behind where either Carson can clear up, or Wisdom or Olsson will have pace to try and control the channels.

People's apparent disgust with the team is almost certainly due to Pearce's inclusion, no other reason. That's very, very harsh. He was fantastic for a large spell. That was forgotten because of the second half of last season, but he hardly destroyed our season single-handedly.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very happy with the lineup for various reasons!

Comments about Pearce are borderline ridiculous. He is our third choice CB FFS! And will surely be needed at some point in this seasons LEAGUE games... So better that he has some minutes under his belts!

I've wanted Lawrence in the number 10 role since I first saw him playing for us, I would have preferred maybe Burton but ManU away is another good option. I just think he would fit in better if we had ball bit more...

Overall, a hardworking team which is set for counterattacks. Just like it should be.

Archived