Manchester United F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ram8 said:

6 hours ago,  Doodle said: 

I suppose it shows how far we have developed as a team under Gary that I’m left feeling a little disappointed after getting home from yesterday’s game. Not disappointed in the players selected, who gave their all. Not disappointed in the fans who did likewise. Not disappointed we lost, they are much better than us. Certainly not disappointed we couldn’t hold out for a replay as nobody wanted that. Just disappointed that when Gary decided to throw the towel in to avoid a replay. He chose to put 2 u23s on to weaken our side further instead of throwing Nugent and Martin on, in a **** or bust move and win or lose still avoiding a replay. I fear this treatment and lack of respect shown to Martin especially may be an attempt to drive him out of the club. In my humble opinion, the best striker this club has had for ages deserves better 

****************************************************************

Well said re Chris Martin, and GR has done himself no favours in my eyes either with his treatment of one of the best players this club has had on its books over the past ten years ..

And in not selecting Winnall for the Sheffield Utd. game after his two goals against Ipswich he has probably ensured that the loanee will prefer to pursue his options elsewhere after such treatment ..

To persist with David Nugent in preference (in particular) to Martin, but also to Winnall, when Nugent’s age virtually discounts him as a long term option for the club, is a foolish policy; and keeping him on the field against SU (when his contribution had been minimal at best), subbing Vydra, and giving Martin and Winnall a few minutes each was not the best way to attempt to win that game ! 

Despite our present position in the ‘automatics’ this disgraceful treatment of Martin (and to a lesser extent Winnall) may yet cost us in the latter part of this season .. 

Nugent is 32 and Martin's 29 so you don't really have an argument there, and if in fact you're concerned about the long term future of the club you should be happy with the subs made on Friday.

Perhaps Gary's choice, rather than a deliberate snub to Martin, was to see whether two U23 players who might be featuring more heavily next season got on.

Bennett came on and immediately won us a free kick in a dangerous area with his strength and persistence. Doesn't sound like throwing the towel in to me.  

Hanson is decent midfielder, albeit more of a defensive one, and given our attacking midfielders Lawrence, Russell and Weimann were out on their feet, as was Thorne; bringing on a midfielder was a must, and someone who can help the defence/midfield at a time when United are traditionally strong and score goals might help us see the game out? Doesn't sound like throwing in the towel to me.

Martin is being treated the same as every other player. He doesn't deserve special treatment and he isn't getting any. If he does well when he gets a chance then he will get more game time. Fact is he's shown nothing that suggests he deserves a start over Winnall or Nugent. As for Winnall, he's started two of the last three games. 

@Doodleto suggest the manager watched his team fight for their lives for 83 mins and thought, "you know what, I think I want to lose this game" makes you look a complete fool.

@Ram8 this attempt to use such a spurious argument to attack Rowett is pathetic. Perhaps you'll be happy if he goes to Stoke and we get McClaren back.  

20 hours ago, reveldevil said:

This^^.

Compounded by staying in a hotel, and still being outnumbered by home supporters.

*******, the lot of them.

We stopped off at Sandbach Services on the way home, and the place was absolutely rammed with both Manchester United and Liverpool fans. What? They both played at home, and both are about 40 miles away from those services. OIur fans singing "we support our local team" was apt, I thought!

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Nugent is 32 and Martin's 29 so you don't really have an argument there, and if in fact you're concerned about the long term future of the club you should be happy with the subs made on Friday.

Perhaps Gary's choice, rather than a deliberate snub to Martin, was to see whether two U23 players who might be featuring more heavily next season got on.

Bennett came on and immediately won us a free kick in a dangerous area with his strength and persistence. Doesn't sound like throwing the towel in to me.  

Hanson is decent midfielder, albeit more of a defensive one, and given our attacking midfielders Lawrence, Russell and Weimann were out on their feet, as was Thorne; bringing on a midfielder was a must, and someone who can help the defence/midfield at a time when United are traditionally strong and score goals might help us see the game out? Doesn't sound like throwing in the towel to me.

Martin is being treated the same as every other player. He doesn't deserve special treatment and he isn't getting any. If he does well when he gets a chance then he will get more game time. Fact is he's shown nothing that suggests he deserves a start over Winnall or Nugent. As for Winnall, he's started two of the last three games. 

@Doodleto suggest the manager watched his team fight for their lives for 83 mins and thought, "you know what, I think I want to lose this game" makes you look a complete fool.

@Ram8 this attempt to use such a spurious argument to attack Rowett is pathetic. Perhaps you'll be happy if he goes to Stoke and we get McClaren back.  

It’s always open to conjecture. All fans will see players in a certain light and will have a opinion. I do doubt though if anyone who has watched Derby over the past 3 years or so would have Hanson or Bennett in our best squad never mind best 11. I agree Russell looked knackered, not so much Lawrence or Weimann. Thorne was dead on his feet, yet was left on whilst playing in Hanson’s preferred position. Martin is very good at this level if not exceptional when playing in his best formation, as is Nugent. Yet both were left on the bench, whilst far inferior players were introduced, one playing out of position. Like Gary, I didn’t want a replay but think my preferred subs, would have given us a slightly higher chance of an upset. The team that finished v Man U was guaranteed to fail IMHO. Thus the towel reference 

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Great post Vulcan you just wonder about some of our fans Im sure Rowett is not treating Martin any different to any other player Managers are paid to win matches not to play in either a style or the players that fans want I don't want Martin to leave and don't believe he will he's just got to bide his time and do a bit more than he has when his chance arrives As for not picking Winnall after his two goals at Ipswich that's no different to dropping Nugent after his two goals against Millwall  There a few fans who will never accept Rowett either that or they live to moan 

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Beauty of a post

Pretty sure Martin hasn't done or said anything to suggest he has a beef with Rowett either. I'd imagine that when he gets his chance, he'll want to take it in the same way certain others have fortunately done for the club this season. Nugent was congratulated by the subs warming up by the corner flag against Bolton. Martin was one of them. He, like all the other players looked happy we'd scored, and celebrated with them. Its not like Martin wouldnt be aware of or made aware of plans,and regarding the FA Cup substitutions. I find it hard to believe he wouldnt understand what making an appearance against United at Old Trafford would have meant to those particular pair, being local and all, the opportunity to fulfil an absolute childhood dream of grabbing the winner..fa cup....Man utd away.. WOOF.. Bennet looking pretty low on confidence these days anorl given all the hype there was around him, and then theres the message it sends to the rest of the academy. When he arrived Martin had been short of opportunities at Norwich, with the way they were playing, he came here and had to compete with Sammon for the shirt, at first anyway.... 50 odd goals later... . i'd guess he's also aware that circumstances are currently different at the minute, he's seen something like 6 different managers in his time here.  but at 29. hope he doesnt lose that pace. I hope he sticks about and we can somehow fit him in, because those flicks and cheeky through balls will come in handy at some point, and personally, i really enjoy that side of the game. course, not the detriment of our current form and pacey counters, which are also enjoyable, and really effective...as a plan A.... so far this season and at the moment, which Rowett is rightfully applauded for changing all that.  up t'rams

'We support our local team' is such a crappy, cringe worthy song. If anything, other than proving how inbred it makes those fans sound, it just reinforces that the other team havsa bigger and more appealing team that fans are willing to travel from afar to go and see.

And it's usually sung to clubs who win a lot of trophies. Again, reinforcing the embarrassing nature of this moronic song.

Next thing, we'll be singing 'who are yer'.

3 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

'We support our local team' is such a crappy, cringe worthy song. If anything, other than proving how inbred it makes those fans sound, it just reinforces that the other team havsa bigger and more appealing team that fans are willing to travel from afar to go and see.

And it's usually sung to clubs who win a lot of trophies. Again, reinforcing the embarrassing nature of this moronic song.

No one agrees with every song but you are reading far too much into it I think. 

It’s not like it’s planned or anything, it was just a wind up of opposition fans like what happens every week up and down the country. 

Just happens to be true in this case.

Sith Happens
12 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Not as bad as Villa fans singing 'you've only come to see the villa'....

15 hours ago, Doodle said:

It’s always open to conjecture. All fans will see players in a certain light and will have a opinion. I do doubt though if anyone who has watched Derby over the past 3 years or so would have Hanson or Bennett in our best squad never mind best 11. I agree Russell looked knackered, not so much Lawrence or Weimann. Thorne was dead on his feet, yet was left on whilst playing in Hanson’s preferred position. Martin is very good at this level if not exceptional when playing in his best formation, as is Nugent. Yet both were left on the bench, whilst far inferior players were introduced, one playing out of position. Like Gary, I didn’t want a replay but think my preferred subs, would have given us a slightly higher chance of an upset. The team that finished v Man U was guaranteed to fail IMHO. Thus the towel reference 

As you say, we all have opinions on individual players, but to say the team that finished was "guaranteed to fail"? I just don't understand how you can say that. 

Look at the two goals. One was a wonder striker from the edge of the area. The other - dare I say this and it isn't meant as criticism - but Lukaku turned Keogh inside out at a time when we had all pushed forward trying to salvage a draw. And having made save after save after save, his shot was arguably not one Carson would like to see again. 

That is no criticism of the two players mentioned because they were both superb on the night - the point being that neither goals were directly influenced by any of the substitutions. Had Martin or Nugent been on the pitch, both goals still would have been scored. 

So I really don't understand how you can make that assertion, or even worse blame Rowett for deliberately causing it.

Archived