McGovern flogging off Derby medals

ossieram

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Sad state of affairs that any successful pro from that era has to sell their medals to survive, whilst players today who have achieved nothing in the game are set for life after a few seasons.

Absolutely.

I lived close to JMc for a couple of years; I never could find it within myself to have the conversation I really would have liked to have with him but I think that's because he's much more a tree than a Ram. That said, he is the living legend of Brian Clough and tells the very best Clough anecdote. 

It's just so wrong that the guy is having to sell these things when mediocre players with nothing to show have so much money from the game.

sorely tempted to bid but doubt I'd be successful. 

Forget the rivalry, it's a shame it's come to that. Players from that era found themselves having to find another occupation when their sporting career ended and I guess not all found it so easy. Of course the same happens to us mere mortals, in this day and age, often having to change career during the course of a lifetime. I do concur with other posters regarding the disproportionate  considerable wealth achieved by very average players in the modern game. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Actually they don't have a huge amount from 69-75 in the cabinet at DCFC.

You really would think that mel would put his hand in his pocket, right there is the perfect snapshot of our teams most successful period, we were a gnats knacker away from ruling Europe, that collection needs to belong together and put on display in that disgrace of a trophy cabinet, for the people of Derby and to prove to the next generation of Derby fans that once upon a time we really were the greatest team in England !

i would assume that the first division plaque will go for £3,000, the second for around £1,800 and the kit for around £1,800 the rest will prob make £1,000 absolutely peanuts to mel or the club.

it was always my dream to be able to own one of the shirts from that era and @Richard Dastard Lee made that possible for me so I don’t think I will be bidding on any of it, once you get into a situation where the heart rules the head they could go for silly money, get two or three people determined to own a once in a lifetime piece of history and common sense goes out of the window.

come on mel do the right thing !!

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

You really would think that mel would put his hand in his pocket, right there is the perfect snapshot of our teams most successful period, we were a gnats knacker away from ruling Europe, that collection needs to belong together and put on display in that disgrace of a trophy cabinet, for the people of Derby and to prove to the next generation of Derby fans that once upon a time we really were the greatest team in England !

i would assume that the first division plaque will go for £3,000, the second for around £1,800 and the kit for around £1,800 the rest will prob make £1,000 absolutely peanuts to mel or the club.

it was always my dream to be able to own one of the shirts from that era and @Richard Dastard Lee made that possible for me so I don’t think I will be bidding on any of it, once you get into a situation where the heart rules the head they could go for silly money, get two or three people determined to own a once in a lifetime piece of history and common sense goes out of the window.

come on mel do the right thing !!

Nice.

You’ll still be watching online when the bidding starts, hope the missus gaffer tapes your arms to your side ?

Archived