McGovern flogging off Derby medals

ossieram

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

You really would think that mel would put his hand in his pocket, right there is the perfect snapshot of our teams most successful period, we were a gnats knacker away from ruling Europe, that collection needs to belong together and put on display in that disgrace of a trophy cabinet, for the people of Derby and to prove to the next generation of Derby fans that once upon a time we really were the greatest team in England !

i would assume that the first division plaque will go for £3,000, the second for around £1,800 and the kit for around £1,800 the rest will prob make £1,000 absolutely peanuts to mel or the club.

it was always my dream to be able to own one of the shirts from that era and @Richard Dastard Lee made that possible for me so I don’t think I will be bidding on any of it, once you get into a situation where the heart rules the head they could go for silly money, get two or three people determined to own a once in a lifetime piece of history and common sense goes out of the window.

come on mel do the right thing !!

So £8k for the lot - a couple of days pay for Darren Bent.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3.12.2017 at 13:59, RoyMac5 said:

Does it say in the article he *has* to sell? Or maybe he doesn't want them any more. Never much of a McGovern fan tbh. Lol.

When we were kids playing football on the park, everybody wanted to be Kevin Hector and nobody ever wanted to be John McGovern. I think even the unfashionable Ron Webster was more popular.

He was a good player in the Joe Ledley mould but very unspectacular.

He's also much more of a Tree than a Ram nowadays. Perhaps he felt unappreciated.

4 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

When we were kids playing football on the park, everybody wanted to be Kevin Hector and nobody ever wanted to be John McGovern. I think even the unfashionable Ron Webster was more popular.

He was a good player in the Joe Ledley mould but very unspectacular.

He's also much more of a Tree than a Ram nowadays. Perhaps he felt unappreciated.

Well of course everybody wanted to be kevin hector. 

But mcgovern was better than described above. He was more attacking at derby than forest. Scored the goal in the 1-0 home league win over Liverpool that virtually won the league. he was definitely a Ram but i'm having doubts now.

72 was about the first time you could buy numbers on your shirts. Every bogger had no 10 for kevin hector. I thought that i would definitely get a different number. I was gonna get no 11 alan hinton. Definitely no11 alan hinton. I can remember going into the Ramtique to get the new kit for my birthday. What number would i like on my shirt? Number el.......ten please. 

On 03/12/2017 at 14:21, loweman2 said:

You really would think that mel would put his hand in his pocket, right there is the perfect snapshot of our teams most successful period, we were a gnats knacker away from ruling Europe, that collection needs to belong together and put on display in that disgrace of a trophy cabinet, for the people of Derby and to prove to the next generation of Derby fans that once upon a time we really were the greatest team in England !

i would assume that the first division plaque will go for £3,000, the second for around £1,800 and the kit for around £1,800 the rest will prob make £1,000 absolutely peanuts to mel or the club.

it was always my dream to be able to own one of the shirts from that era and @Richard Dastard Lee made that possible for me so I don’t think I will be bidding on any of it, once you get into a situation where the heart rules the head they could go for silly money, get two or three people determined to own a once in a lifetime piece of history and common sense goes out of the window.

come on mel do the right thing !!

They are starting to creep up now !

https://www.johnpyeauctions.co.uk/lot_list.asp?saleid=4461&siteid=1&h=0&pageno=1

Old person sells off assets to make some money shocker? 

I am more concerned that old people sell their homes to fund their retirement care rather than someone selling off some medals to raise some cash.

Yes it's part of our history but nothing will ever change our achievements. 

People telling Mel to get his hand in his pocket...why don't you buy them if you'e so concerned?

And why are people using this to bash modern day players? What on earth has it got to do with them?

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Old person sells off assets to make some money shocker? 

Not just old people: I once sold my "bob a job" achievement scout badge for half a crown to a mate who couldn't be bothered to do any.

You kiddies can boggle it on the webthingy if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

20 hours ago, RamNut said:

Well of course everybody wanted to be kevin hector. 

But mcgovern was better than described above. He was more attacking at derby than forest. Scored the goal in the 1-0 home league win over Liverpool that virtually won the league. he was definitely a Ram but i'm having doubts now.

72 was about the first time you could buy numbers on your shirts. Every bogger had no 10 for kevin hector. I thought that i would definitely get a different number. I was gonna get no 11 alan hinton. Definitely no11 alan hinton. I can remember going into the Ramtique to get the new kit for my birthday. What number would i like on my shirt? Number el.......ten please. 

A man of impeccable taste. 

Lazy journalism or were Derby players just that much fitter back then?

I quote the Derby Telegraph - "The 68-year-old helped the Rams to the league title in the 1971/1972 season, scoring the winning goal in Derby County’s last match of the season against Liverpool".

Made me smile anyway.

Archived