GR good manager or lucky manager

Rab a dab doo

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Neither.. People have short memories, it was far from good at the start of the season. Lots of mistakes and an inability to react in certain situations.. Wolves / Bristol etc.. Poor team selections (Barnsley), saying one thing and then not doing it..

Things are better now for sure but as always a manager is either a god or a devil. It's work in progress, we have moved forward but performances are still not there.. Results? Maybe.

He was lucky to have survived with Uncle Bumble in charge, many had not before with a better record.

Let the guy do his job and not destroy him for a couple of bad games and also not make him into some sort of saint if we win a few.

The biggest positive for me is that we are starting to learn from mistakes. 

Good post.

Fed up of us having to decide if we are one end of the spectrum or the other.

Not sure why people are not happy when I say I'm happy with the results but not performances. 

Like you say we are a work in progress and the fact that most weeks GR still has complaints about the performance tells us this. When he is regularly coming out and saying he is happy with how we are playing then we will truly know how he is wanting us to play.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When people say we are lucky to get/not get a penalty I wonder if it’s more about our general play than luck. 

If a team has been fouling, diving in, petulant to the ref etc and there’s a small doubt then maybe the ref will have that in mind and award against the defender? 

Luck suggests to me that you get something that perhaps you shouldn't have got in the first place. Let's look at the penalties we have so far this season. Anyone on here deny that we didn't deserve any of them and in slow motion review proved that we indeed shouldn't then that is luck. But the Ref only has a split second to make such decisions and doesn't have the benefit of play back. So can you say it is luck or human error. You can also argue that to get the penalties in the first place, you have to be in a position to get the decision.  Isn't that down to good play, getting into the box and that comes from good team play and coaching.

Do I think Gary is lucky? I argue if there is such a thing as good luck then you create those situations in the first place. 

22 hours ago, Gritters said:

I think we've had our fair share of good and bad luck this season. I doubt luck has anything to do with it. 

Luck tends to balance itself out (good & bad) over the season, it’s what we do with those slices of luck will determine how our season ends. Fingers crossed GR is a reet flukey b’std all season. ??

He's got the makings of a very good manager but it is early doors in both his time with us and his career in general. He is in his first spell of managing relatively big money players and expectations and will still be learning. That will begin all again once he gets to the premier league.

The key thing we can judge on is that he is the only person so far that seems to have successfully been able to make substantial changes to personnel and style and not get the squad offside (although it wasn't quite at this stage everything went wrong fot Clement.)

I know he has more tactical nous than shown but I think he doesn't want to throw too much at them at once, and right now he wants them focussing on his basics.

Luck usually balances out in football, at the moment it seems to be on our side and the acid test will be when things go against us, but I think Rowett will navigate those times okay given a bit of leeway and patience, as he continues to make strides from being a decent championship boss to a solid premiership one.

Are we not just writing off the poor defending of our oppositions as luck? We have won a few penalties because players like Vydra and Lawrence are picking the ball up and running at people, law of averages says they will get fouled sometimes if that is what they are doing. The Leeds one may or may not have been in the area but we are putting players in those positions.

I would argue we have had just as much go the other way, as an example how many times does a central midfielder trip, fall over with all the grace of a donkey thrown out of a helicopter and handle the ball in the area? I'm looking at you Jacob Butterfield.

At both Burton and Brum, Rowett created effective sides that were 'just' good enough to compete at the sharp end. He now seems to have done that with us. He doesn't do spectacular; his teams find a way to get the points, not dazzle with silky football. The repeating pattern indicates that luck has little to do with it. He's clearly one of the best managers in the Football League.

The question is now, can he take it up a level? Can he get us to the Premier League? He now has a decent level of resources, but not enough to spend his way to promotion. IMO, the next 18 months will decide Rowett's career. Will he be Mick McCarthy or Sean Dyche?

He's doing what he set out to do.

He took over a team that has spent years as a 9/10 one week and a 3/10 the next. The most frustrating and inconsistent side in the country by some distance. The title 'bottlers' was a bit unfair, but there was some truth in it.

We are now a consistent 7/10 team. That is the philosophy as far as I can tell. You only get a bit of luck if you turn up and put in a 7/10 performance. Sometimes you will lose, but most of the time you will at least get something from the game.

If he can keep us where we are and get the whole squad up to that level, so we are always fresh, he will get us promoted in the next few years. We may sack him once we're there like many teams do, but I think he will go on to be a mid-table Premier League manager at worst. Like a Big Sam or Roy Hodgeson - that's not a comparison of footballing style, just the kind of level I think he will reach.

On 1 November 2017 at 09:00, ossieram said:

I seem to remember a quote "The harder a team works, the luckier they get" Maybe Rowett is a grafter and has got his team doing the same.

I remember another one .. Someone told Fergie "you make your own luck" and Fergie apparently replied .. "No .. Sometimes you are just damn lucky"

anyway, I like Rowetts frankness. The Footy isn't always pretty but it isn't bad and this team is growing. Good manager in my book. Now will that develop into great manager ? A shot at the play offs is a start on the road. 

I think the last 5 games have shown us a lot more about what GR is about and what we can expect. I have/had doubts about the footballing output but I have no issues with the philosophy of being a hardworking determined unit first. We have ground out a few results and it hasn't been pretty but the spirit and fight has been far more evident throughout the squad and that's a significant step. That's a cultural thing and what good sides are built on. It's the kind of approach that forces mistakes and puts players into a proactive mindset. I don't call that luck.

As I said a few weeks back, I want to see this platform being built on with a more coherent vision for our footballing style but the work ethic and togetherness feels right and that's a good start.

It's still a work in progress but it feels like progress is being made!

Re op

what a truly utterly stupid question

Is it a last hope of a pop at rowett that hes just plain flukey and jammed his way to a few wins ? Cos thats how it reads to me

good grief...

yer hes lucky ... just like that ferguson chap, he was a right spawny jammy sod wasnt he (sigh)

23 hours ago, Gritters said:

It depends if you believe in luck or not. Either way it evens it self out over the season.

Given the time of year I'm just going to give that one a big "oh no it doesn't !"  I'm getting a bit bored of the warm glow of our last two results and the feeling that we have a decent team with a manager who really has a philosophy and knows how to deliver on it. The resulting goodwill towards all men on here means I've nothing better to do than pick holes in perfectly innocuous posts. Why can't I just be happy? What's wrong with me!!!!?

55 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Given the time of year I'm just going to give that one a big "oh no it doesn't !"  I'm getting a bit bored of the warm glow of our last two results and the feeling that we have a decent team with a manager who really has a philosophy and knows how to deliver on it. The resulting goodwill towards all men on here means I've nothing better to do than pick holes in perfectly innocuous posts. Why can't I just be happy? What's wrong with me!!!!?

It ain't even bonfire night yet pal. You're earlier than Smyths Christmas advert on TV to be talking about anything christmassy. 

As far as the results go, from what I have seen from the rest of the league it's anyone’s this season. Boro are coming up on the rails Blades faultering. Results and consistency will get you up this season. f*** the performances.

On 02/11/2017 at 09:36, Gritters said:

A f****t fan said he thought we were lucky to get the penalty on Tuesday. I said you have to be making the runs into the box to win them kind of penalties. 

Just remind him how 'lucky' they were that the ref got a dose of colour blindness when there own player fouled their keep allowing Johnson to score but the ref gave it as a foul against the keeper, or the ref who bought their cheating in the newcastle game and sent two players off allowing them to win...if it wasnt for their luck then they may well be playing League 1 this weekend.

Archived