GR good manager or lucky manager

Rab a dab doo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's harsh to call him lucky.. He has turned this team into a unit that works as a team effectively as opposed to previous seasons where we would rely on something special from Ince usually.

Although arguably there have clearly been times where decisions have gone our way,

Either way whilst we are on this run there is no need to question things as little as this and just finally enjoy our time winning and playing not pretty but effective football.

Get behind the lads and we could possibly go even further

Yep lucky to be stupidly sacked by brum at the right time for the stars to align and end up at Derby right time right place right job 

Luck balances out over a season.  We could just as easily lose the next 4 due to dubious decisions and/or hitting the woodwork or missing a penalty.  But also over a season, you will win or lose games based upon how you deploy your players and how you have them play. 

I very much doubt GR sits at home with a load of tarot cards every Friday night.  The results are purely down to how he's MANAGING his team...

Lucky up to now.

We went about 10 games unbeaten last season when Powell and then Mac took over and we were conceding even fewer goals than now. That was a blip and we turned out to be bang average. We were average then and, based on performances not current results, I think we still are now.

Think we have only really been convincing and comfortable against Bolton, who were terrible. Hull was a very flattering scoreline. Other games we may either edged or ridden our luck.

Hope I'm wrong though and sincerely hope Rowett has enough time to fully prove his worth. 

Billy Davies' team managed a similar lucky blip for a whole season in 2006/07.

I dont think its luck. Our new style of play creates these moments that can change a game. I.e. pens, red cards because we are turning defenders and forcing mistakes.

We have given oppositions nothing recently and taken our changes when presented. Nothing lucky about that just good coaching and quality players when you need it.

Good manager. Not lucky.

have the team been a tad lucky in the last few weeks without certain things going for them, and things not going for the team we have played against. - of course.

But then... does a manager have control of every single thing which happens on a football field... absolutely not!

First half not so good yesterday but the difference at half time was huge. Gary told the lads that the game was their for the taking..

What I noticed about yesterdays game was that after half time, we pressed the ball really high as team, we hunted in 3's and 4's, forcing Leeds into giving us the ball back and into making mistakes. We won the ball back as a unit and limited Leeds to very little. It's all about game management which is hard to do get right as a manager. We looked solid defensively, dangerous when attacking and pretty much in control in all departments. It was one of the only games I've watched in a Derby in a long time when I was confident we weren't going to concede late. 

I think the second half was the best I've seen us play under Gary. I think the fact that we look like a team/unit rather than 11 individuals is pleasant to see!

Keep up the good work boys.

3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Let's see where we are by Crimbo table doesn't lie by that stage of the season .

I beg to differ, how many times have we fallen away after the new year in recent seasons? Even our promotion year, we were cruising to the title, only to fall away and get promotion through the play offs.

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I beg to differ, how many times have we fallen away after the new year in recent seasons? Even our promotion year, we were cruising to the title, only to fall away and get promotion through the play offs.

Yep, did think about that when I typed it but when we have fell away it's been external influences like SM /Newcastle ,or injuries to a few key players .It's still a good indicator of a teams standing all things being equal.

Neither.. People have short memories, it was far from good at the start of the season. Lots of mistakes and an inability to react in certain situations.. Wolves / Bristol etc.. Poor team selections (Barnsley), saying one thing and then not doing it..

Things are better now for sure but as always a manager is either a god or a devil. It's work in progress, we have moved forward but performances are still not there.. Results? Maybe.

He was lucky to have survived with Uncle Bumble in charge, many had not before with a better record.

Let the guy do his job and not destroy him for a couple of bad games and also not make him into some sort of saint if we win a few.

The biggest positive for me is that we are starting to learn from mistakes. 

I don't buy the argument that we got a lucky decision with the penalty at leeds.

when a striker gets brought down and pundits bleat that the foul started 1/100th of a second and a foot outside the box, but it continued inside the box and ended with the striker brought down, i really don't see why the rules should favour the defender. If there was contact in the box its a penalty - end of. 

The decision re lawrence was a penalty.

loovens on vydra was a penalty

similarly the decision with wisdom was not a penalty.

the decision with carson at norwich wasn't.....er

The forsyth one v sheff wed......

yeah

ok 

he's a lucky manager.........:lol:

Probably a bit of both , but every good team has a tad of luck along the way and it's impossible to be just lucky.

People say the performances aren't there ? What more do you want ? People say they want good football , is rather be winning and play how we are playing . I'm afraid we've tried the pretty stuff. GR's not about that if we play it along the way great but his teams are efficient and hard to break down I think some of us need to learn to love a new way of football if we want success.

Archived