"Come on, let's see those flags waving - this is a great start! Keep it up!"

Duracell

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Duracell said:

I'd like a bit of a discussion about the atmosphere before kick off.

Never been a massive fan of organised "fun", and that's why I'm having trouble with being told how to wave a flag (which, incidentally, I never do because I'm miserable).

Doesn't it all feel a bit...soccer at the minute? I'm too young to have seen any matches at the BBG, but one thing former players always say is that they HATED playing there. The place was intimidating - fans could touch you because they were so close.

Can't imagine the place having the same effect if the announcer gave it the big "That's it C-Stand! Really nice waving of those flags. Let's keep this going! Great job with those white cards, Popside!"

Are we aware that the away fans can hear us being instructed how to show support?!

I really, really miss those organic atmospheres before matches, especially before a match like Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Past two matches, I couldn't hear the South Stand OR the away fans over The Killers and constant instructions being blasted out over that deafening PA system.

It's all about soccer. A bit plastic. Family friendly, yes, which is great, but there's other ways to show that.

Thanks for reading my rant x

Ohh don't let Kim Jong David hear you being negative about the Club unless you have a desire to wear a concrete overcoat ?

4 hours ago, King Kevin said:

This ,it's all to sterile for me I'm afraid ,atmosphere at football grounds has changed over the years from the close packed grounds like the BBG to flat pack stadia like Pride Park .

The demographics have changed too if you look at the crowds on the old BBG pictures you did'n't see say many family groups of dad,mum and the two kids so unsurprisingly the atmosphere is not going to be the same .

I made the point that organised atmosphere was not for me in th 30,000 flags thread although well done to Ellafella for putting in the time and it's great for the kids .

I always have a look on LTLF after a defeat against the Rams and as you can imagine there was some derision over having to drum up support in a local derby ,be interesting if there is any comment on the Owl's forum's .

Was lots of people ...not just me. And I am pretty sure that if the organic atmosphere was still there the plastic flags would never have been required n'est ce pas? ?

I'm all for a bit of razzmatazz. As others have said on here, I remember plenty of times at the BBG in among  an 11,000-strong attendance, bored and thinking I'm wasting my time. No fun standing ankle deep in piss, or trying for thousands trying to get out of the popside through one staircase, though the 'baaaaaaaaa' chants were always good.

As I pointed out on another thread, the flags give me a problem clapping as I like to clap, the cards are even more troublesome. But it looks great. Yes we don't need to be doing it 10 minutes before the start and we don't need any of the "everyone be excited, the players will be in the tunnel soon" rubbish.

But if there's none of this there is absolutely no atmosphere, so all good by me.

And fact is, we've scored twice in the opening moments of the last two games, so it can't be all bad, can it?

4 hours ago, Waffle said:

I’m not part of the BBG generation. But I thought it was sad seeing people like Charlie George and Kevin Hector yesterday, who I’ve heard so many stories about, getting beat by some people I’ve never heard of from Sheffield. 

Fair play to them for playing walking football, but I felt it made a bit of a novelty of names who are held in such high regard in Derby.

I suspect there was a little poetic licence being given by the man with the mic. When he first mentioned Charlie and Kevin, I woke up from my previous slumber to have an urgent look.....Methinks there was a deal of tomfoolery going on. They would still grace a game of 5 a side, even at walking pace. It did have me fooled for a while though!

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

You could smell the old bbg lavs at about 200 paces. And coming back from the match smelling of fags and others' bo is thankfully a thing of the past. 

I remember going for a slash at half time under the Normo End on the day when there was a record attendance of 41,286 and not being able to get out from under the stand until shortly before the final whistle.

24 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

The piss was quite useful by the second half on a winter's afternoon if it ran down your trousers into the socks cuz it thawed your feet out a bit to enable the walk home back to the car. 

That's what programmes are for roll it up toger in one end and direct it wherever you want.

Oh, I forgot.  I also didn't appreciate being hit on the back of the head about a dozen times by wags at the back of the East Stand using the cardboard to make (crap) paper airplanes.  It was like they didn't know how to make a proper paper dart ffs.  When looking around to see where it cam from, there was just rows and rows of grinning imbeciles thinking they'd invented tomfoolery.  

The volume on the PA yesterday was bordering on dangerous. I couldn't talk to the guy next to me without shouting.

Also, the bits of paper yesterday were really annoying. It's crap at the best of times but was a ridiculous idea on a windy day. I saw Carson look at his box pre kick off and tut, then I saw the Wednesday defender get so annoyed he walked off five minutes in!

I don't have too strong of an opinion on this, it's a bit cringe but that's about as far as it goes for me. Big improvement on how it used to be. I'll never forget getting my two minute warning that a Paul Connolly led Derby team was coming out the tunnel.

But the bloke on the mic does need to know when to give it a rest. I understand it's his job but I particularly do not care for being told to cheer whatever is going on at half-time. Yeah, Charlie George and co are Derby legends but it's a half-time game of walking football between some 70 year olds. I'm not going to f****** bounce. 

Every ground has a bloke on the mic and it's a difficult job, it's really hard to not be irritating. But you have to have a bit of self-awareness about the fact you're telling about 20,000 grown men to wave their little Derby flag. We've had them for years now, people know what they're doing.

On 10/22/2017 at 12:04, needles said:

When you think about it, better than having to dodge down a terrace alley to avoid a pre-match police horse charge down Cambridge Street.

No it isn't.

In fact I'd rather dodge police horses, Elland Road bricks or Baseball Ground pies than be subjected to half- wits with a microphone and electronic hoardings instructing me to bounce.

And bleedin' fan-cam? FFS!

6 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

No it isn't.

In fact I'd rather dodge police horses, Elland Road bricks or Baseball Ground pies than be subjected to half- wits with a microphone and electronic hoardings instructing me to bounce.

And bleedin' fan-cam? FFS!

OK, you've got a point on fan-cam.

The chairman, the manager, the players all would like us fans to get behind the team and support them.

Derby Co v Sheff Wed Programme Manager's Notes - East Midlands Derby - The flags and sea of black and white ahead of kick-off was fantastic and credit to Mel Morris and the club for making that happen. Gary Rowett.

Derby Co v Sheff Wed Programme Momentum Is With Us - East Midlands Derby - What clearly helped us was the atmoshphere before and during the game and it would be amazing if we could recreate that today. We all know that derbies come with that bit of an edge, but that atmosphere pre-match was a big factor for why we started so well and went on to win the game. When something goes well and the  crowd are behind you, it gives us a little bit more energy and we are going to need that from you over the coming games and months. Enjoy the game! Johnny Russell.

Yep Derby County fans Enjoy the game!

It's the guy on the microphone that pisses me off before a match. I just find him really grating with his patronising, artificial encouragement and i genuinely believe it does the opposite to the atmosphere. Hearing some random 40 year old over shouting over the tannoy 'well done, good job east stand it looks amazing! wow great! south stand come on keep up, you can do it!' I actually feel has a draining effect on everyone. Also whoever put on that horrific Guns n Roses and The Killers dubstep remix should be shot on the pitch before the next home game. It was genuinely embarrassing to listen to. 

It's impossible to expect the stadium to be rocking like it was for the Forest game. That's the biggest home game of the season so of course the atmosphere is going to be something else. Even places like Anfield aren't bouncing every week for visits from Brighton and West Brom. Atmosphere is generated from the importance of the match and excitement from the football being played, if you don't have either it's slightly unreasonable to expect the place to be bouncing every week.

They could start to generate a bit more organically though by getting whoever is playing the music to play something that actually gets people excited rather than the latest remix off some 13 year olds youtube. Being a decent announcer is really hard but if anyone gets time I'd recommend youtubing Napoli's announcer/introduction to the game. Different culture and a different size of club i know but there's very little plastic, the music is on point and the announcer really gets the place rocking.

Archived