"Come on, let's see those flags waving - this is a great start! Keep it up!"

Duracell

I'd like a bit of a discussion about the atmosphere before kick off.

Never been a massive fan of organised "fun", and that's why I'm having trouble with being told how to wave a flag (which, incidentally, I never do because I'm miserable).

Doesn't it all feel a bit...soccer at the minute? I'm too young to have seen any matches at the BBG, but one thing former players always say is that they HATED playing there. The place was intimidating - fans could touch you because they were so close.

Can't imagine the place having the same effect if the announcer gave it the big "That's it C-Stand! Really nice waving of those flags. Let's keep this going! Great job with those white cards, Popside!"

Are we aware that the away fans can hear us being instructed how to show support?!

I really, really miss those organic atmospheres before matches, especially before a match like Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Past two matches, I couldn't hear the South Stand OR the away fans over The Killers and constant instructions being blasted out over that deafening PA system.

It's all about soccer. A bit plastic. Family friendly, yes, which is great, but there's other ways to show that.

Thanks for reading my rant x

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the club are trying their best to create an atmosphere. I can’t remember the last time there was an organic atmosphere before kick off. If I look round where I sit, there’s a lot more families than the die hard fans of old. 

Instinctively, I agree with you.

On the other hand, I think it does give it the atmosphere a lift which, while I'd rather see happen organically, we probably wouldn't have got otherwise.

On balance I'm for it.

I think David made a point on another thread about there being a generation now who never knew the BBG. Stuff like this will also leave a positive impression on the youngsters in the crowd and that's not a bad thing.

When you think about it, better than having to dodge down a terrace alley to avoid a pre-match police horse charge down Cambridge Street.

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I'd like a bit of a discussion about the atmosphere before kick off.

Never been a massive fan of organised "fun", and that's why I'm having trouble with being told how to wave a flag (which, incidentally, I never do because I'm miserable).

Doesn't it all feel a bit...soccer at the minute? I'm too young to have seen any matches at the BBG, but one thing former players always say is that they HATED playing there. The place was intimidating - fans could touch you because they were so close.

Can't imagine the place having the same effect if the announcer gave it the big "That's it C-Stand! Really nice waving of those flags. Let's keep this going! Great job with those white cards, Popside!"

Are we aware that the away fans can hear us being instructed how to show support?!

I really, really miss those organic atmospheres before matches, especially before a match like Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Past two matches, I couldn't hear the South Stand OR the away fans over The Killers and constant instructions being blasted out over that deafening PA system.

It's all about soccer. A bit plastic. Family friendly, yes, which is great, but there's other ways to show that.

Thanks for reading my rant x

This ,it's all to sterile for me I'm afraid ,atmosphere at football grounds has changed over the years from the close packed grounds like the BBG to flat pack stadia like Pride Park .

The demographics have changed too if you look at the crowds on the old BBG pictures you did'n't see say many family groups of dad,mum and the two kids so unsurprisingly the atmosphere is not going to be the same .

I made the point that organised atmosphere was not for me in th 30,000 flags thread although well done to Ellafella for putting in the time and it's great for the kids .

I always have a look on LTLF after a defeat against the Rams and as you can imagine there was some derision over having to drum up support in a local derby ,be interesting if there is any comment on the Owl's forum's .

1 minute ago, needles said:

Instinctively, I agree with you.

On the other hand, I think it does give it the atmosphere a lift which, while I'd rather see happen organically, we probably wouldn't have got otherwise.

On balance I'm for it.

I think David made a point on another thread about there being a generation now who never knew the BBG. Stuff like this will also leave a positive impression on the youngsters in the crowd and that's not a bad thing.

When you think about it, better than having to dodge down a terrace alley to avoid a pre-match police horse charge down Cambridge Street.

God I miss that .:ph34r:

I sit near the family area in the North Stand. The kids (and their mums and dads) love it. 

When there's nothing organised they don't do anything.

Thought it looked great again yesterday and most people around us joined in (even the grumpy old codgers!)

I’m not part of the BBG generation. But I thought it was sad seeing people like Charlie George and Kevin Hector yesterday, who I’ve heard so many stories about, getting beat by some people I’ve never heard of from Sheffield. 

Fair play to them for playing walking football, but I felt it made a bit of a novelty of names who are held in such high regard in Derby.

Was it a lack of organically generated atmosphere that led the club to give things a little push?

I agree with you in that I've never been a fan of the gimmicky stuff, the ram masks were a horrendous idea, t shirts v QPR were swiftly returned and the flags whilst looked great would look much better had they been brought in by fans and were all unique, Liverpool's Kop as an example.

I'm not sure there is any "organic" atmosphere at many clubs now, clubs that are recognised for creating a great atmosphere are organised by fan groups, Palace, Celtic etc. The 1884 Group came in, worked hard on creating flags, getting them out before games, came up with ideas of marches to the ground to help build up the atmosphere....what happens? Flags get taken home and a load of abuse on Twitter for their efforts.

It's almost like we're too cool for all that stuff, the South Stand which saw fans moved from the corner to get behind the goal and create a better atmosphere was ruined at the start by the pricing structure. What happened is many moved just to bag the cheaper ticket which you can't really knock them for, the price of football these days is disgusting, chance to save a few pounds you're going to take it.

I commented on the loudness of the music pre match Forest, wasn't a fan of the music at all, but I hear the players loved it, went down well. First time in ages they have heard the fans down the tunnel clearly singing. Whilst not organic, seemed to work for Vydra at least.

Maybe the club should trial a no pre match music half hour before kick off, no more alcohol sales either, advertise it well, bring your own flags, wear the clubs colours, let's see what our fans are capable of. Prove we're capable of creating our own atmosphere without the Guns and Roses rifts. Not a high profile game either, cold Tuesday night in November v Ipswich. Don't expect the players to just turn up for the big games, so why should we.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Don't expect the players to just turn up for the big games, so why should we.

I don't remember the BBG having a rocking atmosphere whatever the game, I think there's some rose-tinted specs on some of the older fans. I think modern fans like a bit of organisation, although in olden times I seem to remember chants would be started by one particular big gob - so isn't that the same? Lol.

If the games are important and the football exciting and/or winning then the fans will respond, ever was it thus.

15 minutes ago, Waffle said:

I’m not part of the BBG generation. But I thought it was sad seeing people like Charlie George and Kevin Hector yesterday, who I’ve heard so many stories about, getting beat by some people I’ve never heard of from Sheffield. 

Fair play to them for playing walking football, but I felt it made a bit of a novelty of names who are held in such high regard in Derby.

You do know Matt on the MC was taking the Michael don’t you waffle ?

i know you know he was.

dont you ? ?

4 minutes ago, David said:

Reckon you can survive! The only way to get fans out the concourses and into the stands if it's an organic atmosphere we want

I can't see it having the desired effect to be fair David. Half price ale...now that might help.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't remember the BBG having a rocking atmosphere whatever the game, I think there's some rose-tinted specs on some of the older fans. I think modern fans like a bit of organisation, although in olden times I seem to remember chants would be started by one particular big gob - so isn't that the same? Lol.

If the games are important and the football exciting and/or winning then the fans will respond, ever was it thus.

My memories of the BBG are the chips before, can smell the salt and vinegar now just typing this, wouldn't be able to comment on the atmosphere however I see time and time again how great it is.

Probably is rose tinted glasses, I posted yesterday of Pride Park being a retail park to one, but a ground that is creating special memories for a young one right now. In 30 years time wherever the internet maybe, there will be stories floating around of the greatest atmosphere ever as we scored after 25 seconds v Forest, whilst today we have a fan several years older named after a battery moaning it's not organic.

No bigger test of our organic abilities than a Tuesday night in November v a Mick McCarthy side! 

Archived