Come on Palace

scarboroughwa

PistoldPete2

Palace may well beat a few of our records from that year but the final points total of 11 points is not under threat. Not this year anyway. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wheels need to totally come off for that record to ever be challenged

i still believe we went up with a better side than we started the prem season with. Lupoli went back, seth retired and we signed a past it league two player. He must have thought it was a joke when his agent rang him

also as crap as he was and as much as i wanted him sacked, in hindsight we would have probably got more that 11 points if billy didnt get sacked. Jewell was well worse imo. Everyone knew we were doomed but at least have some fighting spirit rather that openly admit we were going down   

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Despite the awful start they're still considerably better than we ever were. They'll easily win 4 games this season, too much quality. Even if Benteke was out for the season instead of 6 weeks, there's still quality across the team. Zaha, Cabaye, McArthur, Riedeweld, Sakho, Dann, even that one trick pony Townsend...you can't compare them to Clodd and co.

The record will never be broken, teams in the PL/higher Champ have simply got too wealthy and influential. They can cherry pick from the best European leagues now and scouting/player analysis has got so much more advanced that you'll never see a raft of duds like the signings of 07/08. 

Totally agree. Palace have a very decent squad and will probably be in the relegation scrap right up to the last few games of the season. 

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

And we still beat Newcastle! As embarrassing as our record is, imagine how embarrassing it must be to hold the record of being the only team that the worst team in history were able to beat (and, in fact, take 4 if our 11 points from). 

Actually, were there any other teams we remained undefeated against that season? Anyone we drew with home and away? Or do Newcastle also have the ignominy of being the only team that couldn’t beat the worst team in history. 

Nearly beat Newcastle away too, Viduka equalised in the 87th minute.

Just consider that even without transfer inflation a team of Joe Hart (Shrewsbury to Man City), Ashley Williams (Stockport to Swansea), Wes Morgan (Forest to Leicester), Matt Ritchie (Portsmouth to Bournemouth), Riyad Mahrez (Le Havre to Leicester), Troy Deeney (Walsall to Watford) and Jamie Vardy  (Fleetwood Town to Leicester) all cost less than the combined transfer fees for Claude Davis and Robert Earnshaw. How sad.

Christmas time absolutely killed us that season... we were down by then I think but we dropped points late on in nearly every game. 

Newcastle scored a very late equaliser (about 88 mins) 2 points lost.

Boxing Day Liverpool scored a last minute  winner, 1 point dropped.

Bolton scored in stoppage time to win, 1 point dropped.

Don't get me wrong we were awful that year... buts that's 3 games out of 4 over Christmas/new year where if we hadn't have conceded so late on we would have at least been the joint worst team!

still... wouldn't change it for the world! Nothing will take that day at Wembley away from 15 year old ramslad! Still the best day of my life.

2 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Christmas time absolutely killed us that season... we were down by then I think but we dropped points late on in nearly every game. 

Newcastle scored a very late equaliser (about 88 mins) 2 points lost.

Boxing Day Liverpool scored a last minute  winner, 1 point dropped.

Bolton scored in stoppage time to win, 1 point dropped.

Don't get me wrong we were awful that year... buts that's 3 games out of 4 over Christmas/new year where if we hadn't have conceded so late on we would have at least been the joint worst team!

still... wouldn't change it for the world! Nothing will take that day at Wembley away from 15 year old ramslad! Still the best day of my life.

Also Steve Howard missing a pen to go 2-0 up v Blackburn

10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Actually, were there any other teams we remained undefeated against that season? Anyone we drew with home and away? Or do Newcastle also have the ignominy of being the only team that couldn’t beat the worst team in history. 

Fulham, somehow didn't win at Craven Cottage and 2-2 draw at home to confirm relegation.

10 hours ago, G-Ram said:

The wheels need to totally come off for that record to ever be challenged

i still believe we went up with a better side than we started the prem season with. Lupoli went back, seth retired and we signed a past it league two player. He must have thought it was a joke when his agent rang him

also as crap as he was and as much as i wanted him sacked, in hindsight we would have probably got more that 11 points if billy didnt get sacked. Jewell was well worse imo. Everyone knew we were doomed but at least have some fighting spirit rather that openly admit we were going down   

Who was that?

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Also Steve Howard missing a pen to go 2-0 up v Blackburn

I think we were down anyway by then but this seemed like a pivitol moment at the time, 2-0 and we may well have won and who knows gone on and ground out other results, i think this was oakley and howards last game too but may not have been had we won, out of that squad they were two players i would have easily kept.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't want Palace to beat our record.

I want to be in the stadium when we get 12 points in the prem, hope its at home. The away fans will have no idea why we are invading the pitch and dancing like @Boycie at a wedding!

Funny you should say that...

2 hours ago, David said:

4 words that bring back so many memories. 

£7m on Miller and Earnshaw, makes Vydra look like a bargain.

Didn't Clod leave us and go to non league? We were in the premier with non league quality defenders. That record will never be beaten, even with points deductions 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Didn't Clod leave us and go to non league? We were in the premier with non league quality defenders. That record will never be beaten, even with points deductions 

He actually went to Palace, they had him on loan then we released him and they signed him again on a free. He then went to Crawley in league 2, after joined Rotherham in still in league 2 and help them to promotion then played 19 games for them in league 1 and again helped them to promotion :o

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

He actually went to Palace, they had him on loan then we released him and they signed him again on a free. He then went to Crawley in league 2, after joined Rotherham in still in league 2 and help them to promotion then played 19 games for them in league 1 and again helped them to promotion :o

Ok...top half league 2 quality.

Archived