Come on Palace

scarboroughwa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I still think most of us thought we could at least get something out of the last game against reading, also relegated with us and they tonked us 4-0 i think. There was supposed to be a lap of appreciation at the end, not sure if it happened as left the stadium to a chorus of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'

That was it. After March  - and our confirmed relegation - we could "play without fear" and there was "no pressure ".

We got even worse I think.

13 hours ago, Roboram said:

There's a 'great' article in last month's 4 4 2 magazine about our disaster of a season. They interviewed Billy who still insists we would've stayed up had we not sacked him :lol:

At least he's got a sense of humour. That and... no wait, that's all.

I remember after the final whistle he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle. He knew we'd grabbed it, we were up, and he'd be found out. Nowhere to hide.

He's lucky we did give him the arse for his sake so it was the club alone who were globally embarrassed come May, err, March.

16 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

At least he's got a sense of humour. That and... no wait, that's all.

I remember after the final whistle he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle. He knew we'd grabbed it, we were up, and he'd be found out. Nowhere to hide.

He's lucky we did give him the arse for his sake so it was the club alone who were globally embarrassed come May, err, March.

I cannot believe any one thinks sticking with him would have been worse than bringing in Jewell. We spent less than the other 19 clubs in the summer window and had a wages bill to match. We got the majority of our points in Billy's 14 games. There are others, Pearson included, who are far more culpable in our record-breaking season.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I cannot believe any one thinks sticking with him would have been worse than bringing in Jewell. We spent less than the other 19 clubs in the summer window and had a wages bill to match. We got the majority of our points in Billy's 14 games. There are others, Pearson included, who are far more culpable in our record-breaking season.

We would have yes without a doubt. Maybe not many more but we would.

The worst thing to happen was allowing Jewell to spend a load of cash in the January, it was obvious we werent going to stay up. We let very good championship players like Matt Oakley and Steve Howard go to Leicester, we should have kept them and accepted we were going down.

I dont really disagree with the appointment of jewell as he had some pedigree, but it should have been thought out more. I know thats easy to say in hindsight but anyone could tell we were doomed as soon as eddie lewis was one of our star signings.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Pretty sure Nick Miller is a forest fan, quite a few high profile journalists seem to be as I guess Clough was at his peak at forest when they were growing up. Pretty sure NM was part of the forest media ban so it’s probably a bit of a kick towards Davies rather than just Derby

A good read nonetheless

33 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Pretty sure Nick Miller is a forest fan, quite a few high profile journalists seem to be as I guess Clough was at his peak at forest when they were growing up. Pretty sure NM was part of the forest media ban so it’s probably a bit of a kick towards Davies rather than just Derby

A good read nonetheless

Yes; I am pretty sure I've read other stuff by Miller that clearly had a vitriolic intent towards Derby County. It's not very subtle, has no wit or intellectual quality but just points with vehemence. We'll see if Miller is anywhere to be seen Monday morning or if he disappears back into the anodyne pages from whence he came. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes; I am pretty sure I've read other stuff by Miller that clearly had a vitriolic intent towards Derby County. It's not very subtle, has no wit or intellectual quality but just points with vehemence. We'll see if Miller is anywhere to be seen Monday morning or if he disappears back into the anodyne pages from whence he came. 

I thought it was a pretty good summing up of that season, to be honest.

It's not like any of it was factually incorrect.

Just now, Ellafella said:

Needs locking in a room with b4 for an hour. 

On 10/7/2017 at 07:33, Paul71 said:

The worst thing to happen was allowing Jewell to spend a load of cash in the January, it was obvious we werent going to stay up. .

To be fair to him (much as I hate it),he didn't want to spend big in January,but save it till the summer. I always felt sorry for the players because they simply weren't (collectively) good enough.When Johnno,as honest a player as you could find, revealed that they'd been made to run around PP as a punishment,I remember thinking that if not being good enough were a punishable offence,Jewell should have been made to do a couple of laps of the globe.

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I thought it was a pretty good summing up of that season, to be honest.

It's not like any of it was factually incorrect.

Untrue.

The Newcastle game wasn't on Sky, it was Setanta or some such channel.

Stopped reading after such an obvious mistake.

I remember, because I had to watch the match in the Chestnut Tree, Nottingham, as I didn't have the channel on my Sky package, and I was offered the chance to discuss my support of the sheepshaggers outside towards the end of the 2nd half!

I could literally see my bro in law thinking, trying to work out which side to join, when tensions eased into a realisation that I was to be pitied rather than kicked in.

Luckily I missed the majority of that season, but managed to watch us get smashed 6-0 by Villa at PP in April. I’d not sampled any home games that season, so I wasn’t fully prepared for the experience. The whole place felt like a circus. The crowd were delirious at times. Numb to the shame and despair, and giddy with embarrassment. It was bizarre.

Archived