'From the start I thought we were magnificent'

RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Don't pretend you're being reasonable or asking a valid question. Your agenda is so transparent & bleating like you are after a very positive result is making you come across as unnecessarily sour.

Oh so sorry I'll change my opinions just for you. :lol:

Some of the stuff Rowett comes out with is worth commenting on. So I will.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, if your mind is made up about the negatives of GR being the manager (which it clearly is in the OP's case) then yesterday's performance or result shouldn't really lead to some 'road to Damascus' epiphany about how wonderful he is, but I do agree that creating a new thread specifically to debate the relationship between one word in an interview and the game is a bit petty.  In any event, shouldn't it have been merged with the match day thread?

Besides, you never stop seeing people saying on here that everyone is entitled to an opinion, if that was GR's then so be it. Means nothing really.

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Tell me what is positive about Rowett and we'll discuss it.

Lol, really? Whats the point mate,

whos winning there?

im not wasting my time... or yours come to think of it dancing back and forward going round in circles with u over points that iv discussed a 1000 times before on here

another day perhaps but i truly havent the time or enthusiasm to go through another rowett debate 

just please try and look at the big picture and where we are now, where we have been over the last 5 years, where we have been over the last 10.

and take stock.... thats all i can ask 

I would have taken a point at 3pm yesterday. We achieved 1 point more against Cardiff than a good Leeds side did and conceded no goals. But for Vydra's stupidity against Brentford on Tuesday night our last two away results would have been very good. I don't think Cardiff are that great but they have started the season well and have the points on the board.

14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Today was the realisation that away from home this is us.

We won't try to win games, just stop the opposition from winning and if we can Nick a goal so be it.

I hate it, but if it works who am I to argue.

It only makes sense if we go for it and beat teams at home, unlike the rammal Birmingham display. I expect 3 points against forest.

I still think Cardiff were totally for the taking today.

Love it. New word for the dictionary? 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Spot on.

I for one am not sure I want to be an ersatz football team. 

I want my team to play good football. I want my team to go and play other teams at football, not park the bus and win 1-0 after a lightening wham bam thank you ma"am mugging. 

Didn't BC make sure the fundamentals were right first? Our defence and centre mid has needed sorting for an age. Once we have become more solid, we can look to be more expansive.

Weren't you a fan of Nigel C? Can't remember us playing expansive, exciting football during his tenure.

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Putting aside in isolation whether this is a good result or not for a minute let's consider our overall league results so far this season -  currently we are 14th in the league having played 10 games.  We've played all of the bottom 3 teams, only recording a win against rock bottom Bolton, the only other win against a side below us being Hull City.

We were beaten soundly at home by Wolves and subsequently capitulated poorly against both Sheffield United and Bristol City away. In terms of our performances so far the best way to describe them would be dour and uninspiring.  

It would be a more balanced thread if we were to discuss the above rather than a one off result. 

We've also played 5 of the top 6 so it swings both ways.

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

That’s not what this thread is about though. There’s other threads for that. This one is for the purpose of whining about ONE WORD Gary Rowett said. That word being ‘magnificent’. That’s how low some people are getting in the quest to find something to moan about. It’s getting beyond boring and not worth trying to interact with other ‘fans’ at the moment. 

I really have to disagree with you, Ewe. 

A fan who was there said it was boring. GR said the team was magnificent. That's 2 descriptions that are poles apart; does that say something about a "disconnect" between what the manager perceives and what some fans want? 

Sam Rush sacked NC when he read comments on the Derby Mad website saying Pride Park was starting to resemble the Riverside {Boro were awful at the time and their crowds were down to 10k}.

Boring, dull football will lose fans; those from a certain demographic will be the first to drift away. This at a time when MM wants overseas fans to buy the Derby County product on Rams TV.

I think GR was buoyed by the result and didn't intend to hoodwink fans. But perhaps he needs to think a bit more like a supporter and acknowledge that perhaps travelling 224 miles to watch really dull football is a big ask...that way he keeps fans on side; 

but the main issue pertains: dull football will lose fans. Dull football that ends in defeat will be the harbinger of doom. 

Perhaps GR needs to sketch out his vision a bit more? Will his team just be dull in transition? Will it get better to watch as the vision evolves? Or will it always be tedious? If it gets us promotion, will the style persist or will it be jettisoned for better football? 

What has happened to the Derby way? Was it jettisoned when GR was appointed? Did GR get appointed because he argued for a different style of football? 

I don't mind saying I'm not a fan of the way Derby are playing and if it persists I will not renew our season tickets next year. I get more pleasure watching my boy's under 15 side...at least they try and beat teams at football

i have been critical of the football so far this season but let's be clear this thread has one purpose - to attack GR personally.

When GR uses the word 'magnifcent', it wasn't qualified and so we don't exactly know what way he meant ' magnificent'. But in the context of the performance of a club top of the league he is entitled to be pleased and praise the way the team played. Don't know what word he would have used if we had snatched a win, but it is not surprising that he would say this  immediately after the match. There are more pressing issues to be concerned about.

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Sam Rush sacked NC when he read comments on the Derby Mad website saying Pride Park was starting to resemble the Riverside {Boro were awful at the time and their crowds were down to 10k}.

Sam and I were besties ya know. ?

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

i have been critical of the football so far this season but let's be clear this thread has one purpose - to attack GR personally.

When GR uses the word 'magnifcent', it wasn't qualified and so we don't exactly know what way he meant ' magnificent'. But in the context of the performance of a club top of the league he is entitled to be pleased and praise the way the team played. Don't know what word he would have used if we had snatched a win, but it is not surprising that he would say this  immediately after the match. There are more pressing issues to be concerned about.

It's just a word and Rowett was probably using it defensively after being slaughtered in the last few weeks. A draw at Cardiff is a good point and he probably felt that he had an opportunity to go on the front foot in the media. Wenger spouts more crap than any manager I know. I tend not to listen to any manager comments or club comments now.. 99% b*******.

You are correct there are more pressing issues.

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

When GR uses the word 'magnifcent', it wasn't qualified and so we don't exactly know what way he meant ' magnificent'. But in the context of the performance of a club top of the league he is entitled to be pleased and praise the way the team played.

True, lil ol Derby did a good job at Cardiff. We were magnificent. Leaves no adjectives left for when we beat Forest though, or does it?!

I repeat, I wanted to know whether we were 'magnificent' and/or what Rowett meant. Lots of posters getting their y-fronts in a twist seeing it as a way to get at Rowett. Why would I want to do that?! :lol:

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I really have to disagree with you, Ewe. 

A fan who was there said it was boring. GR said the team was magnificent. That's 2 descriptions that are poles apart; does that say something about a "disconnect" between what the manager perceives and what some fans want? 

Boring, dull football will lose fans; those from a certain demographic will be the first to drift away. This at a time when MM wants overseas fans to buy the Derby County product on Rams TV.

I think GR was buoyed by the result and didn't intend to hoodwink fans. But perhaps he needs to think a bit more like a supporter and acknowledge that perhaps travelling 224 miles to watch really dull football is a big ask...that way he keeps fans on side; 

but the main issue pertains: dull football will lose fans. Dull football that ends in defeat will be the harbinger of doom. 

Perhaps GR needs to sketch out his vision a bit more? Will his team just be dull in transition? Will it get better to watch as the vision evolves? Or will it always be tedious? If it gets us promotion, will the style persist or will it be jettisoned for better football? 

What has happened to the Derby way? Was it jettisoned when GR was appointed? Did GR get appointed because he argued for a different style of football? 

I don't mind saying I'm not a fan of the way Derby are playing and if it persists I will not renew our season tickets next year. I get more pleasure watching my boy's under 15 side...at least they try and beat teams at football

There's two questions in there really. Firstly, Rowett's post match interview & his choice of words - I wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment whether the performance was 'magnificent' or not but the result was certainly very good in both the context of Cardiff's start & how wretched we've been away from home in recent weeks. Could he also have been aiming the praise at his players rather than the fans? Their confidence must have taken a hit after Sheffield, Bristol & what was a pretty shaky performance (if not result) at Brentford.

Secondly regarding Rowett's general style of play, I don't think its ever going to be fluid or buccaneering. Away from home, we will look to set up to earn results rather than impress whereas at home, we'll look to dominate play that bit more. Is that a bad thing? Depends what you want from the side but there is a certain logic in being hard to beat away from home rather than being expansive. As Jim Smith was fond of saying, win at home, draw away & you'll always been in the mix for promotion.

On the subject of style, Billy Davies' team was pretty attritional but people excused that because of the results. I suspect when the results start to come for Rowett, some of the issues about style might ebb away. If it doesn't for you, that's fair enough. I also prefer a passing style (loved George Burley's team) but don't mind pragmatism on occasions when the circumstances call for it. Two tough away games at Brentford & Cardiff (for me) come into that criteria.

Archived