'From the start I thought we were magnificent'

RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just sat through the full 94 minutes. My god that was hard work.

A terrible game in terms of quality and creativity. The ball will have gone off bruised at half time. I don't think i have ever seen a first half with so many throw ins. we survived the bombardment but created very very little in reply. 

Two highlights.

Somewhere @ 65minutes we actually kept the ball for almost a full minute.

our best spell was between 90 and 92 minutes which resulted in two shots from nugent. 

We battled. Thats about it. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s the difference between those pro Rowett and those with reservations ?

Those with reservations don’t feel the need for name calling or telling those pro what to think.

* I used the word reservations as opposed to anti or against purposely. 

Only read a few posts as I could feel a major paddy coming on. Some folk on here need to give their heads a wobble. After Brentford all the talk was of us shipping 5 against a team in top form. If they 'looked average' it's because Rowett and the boys set out to stop them playing. Collateral form may not count for much in football but it's fair to say they've destroyed most of the teams they've played this season including schooling Leeds who've looked a proper team in their own right. I don't much like the style of play and I'm not convinced by Rowett at all, but let's give credit when and where it's due and stop bitching just for the sake of it. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I really have to disagree with you, Ewe. 

A fan who was there said it was boring. GR said the team was magnificent. That's 2 descriptions that are poles apart; does that say something about a "disconnect" between what the manager perceives and what some fans want? 

Sam Rush sacked NC when he read comments on the Derby Mad website saying Pride Park was starting to resemble the Riverside {Boro were awful at the time and their crowds were down to 10k}.

Boring, dull football will lose fans; those from a certain demographic will be the first to drift away. This at a time when MM wants overseas fans to buy the Derby County product on Rams TV.

I think GR was buoyed by the result and didn't intend to hoodwink fans. But perhaps he needs to think a bit more like a supporter and acknowledge that perhaps travelling 224 miles to watch really dull football is a big ask...that way he keeps fans on side; 

but the main issue pertains: dull football will lose fans. Dull football that ends in defeat will be the harbinger of doom. 

Perhaps GR needs to sketch out his vision a bit more? Will his team just be dull in transition? Will it get better to watch as the vision evolves? Or will it always be tedious? If it gets us promotion, will the style persist or will it be jettisoned for better football? 

What has happened to the Derby way? Was it jettisoned when GR was appointed? Did GR get appointed because he argued for a different style of football? 

I don't mind saying I'm not a fan of the way Derby are playing and if it persists I will not renew our season tickets next year. I get more pleasure watching my boy's under 15 side...at least they try and beat teams at football

Ah you see my view is that he says ‘magnificent’ because he felt that the team followed his instructions and played how he instructed. Of course this can only ever go so far, there are 11 other players trying to stop them, but I digress. 

I’m fed up of fans using ‘the Derby Way’ as a stick to beat GR with, the Derby Way was intended as a structure for the club and not a way of playing a match. 

Theres a huge transition period at the moment, a patchwork quilt type thing, different players/styles/ideas/managers recruited and it’s going to take time to sort it out. If you don’t want to stick that out then don’t. I’d rather fans who boo stay away. I don’t think Mel will cry too much either, he said himself that ticket sales account for very little revenue. It’s got to work it’s way through, no manager is a miracle worker. I don’t really understand why some fans were unhappy getting rid of the bore fest that was Clough but moan about more recent managers being boring. 

Anyway, ask GR what his context was if that one word is such a big issue. 

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'm critical of the way Rowett is trying to set us up but he was clearly just trying to get some confidence back into the squad with those comments.

Not much to read into with the managers post match comments, as ever.

My god, common sense 

According to some everything that comes out of the managers mouth needs to be hyper analised and taken as absolute gospel to then beat him with it down the line 

u give me hope sir that theres still some sensoble fans out there

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe so, but fans would have a bit more respect if he told it like it was - so worrying if he thought we were magnificent. Why not just say we matched them for effort but needed more of an attacking outlet to try for all 3 points. Or some such. I just would like to go back to believing what GR says...

Because he's Gary Rowett and not Marvin the paranoid android, that's why!

straight off the bat your argument is utterly floored

one fan said it was boring, rowett said it was magnificent.

just think about it for a second..... do u think theyre maybe perhaps looking at it from two completely different aspects of the game.

the fan, entertainment and probably attacking intent and actual execution which rowett himself said we were poor in that respect and openly said the front 3 didnt show enough quality when it mattered

rowett and his "magnificent" comment is probably referring to the structure, organising and shape we showed to nullify a team who have and are still sitting top of the league and riding high completely on merit

Just maybe eh??

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

just think about it for a second..... do u think they maybe perhaps looking at it from two completely different aspects of the game.

the fan, entertainment and probably attacking intent and actual execution which rowett himselfnsaid we were poor in that respect and openly said the front 3

rowett and his "magicicent" comment is probably referring to the structure, organising and shape we showed to nullify a team who have and are still sitting top of the league and riding high completely on merit

Just maybe eh??

Yes I agree just maybe.

And err that's what I was asking. No need for the snitty personal comments is there.

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Ah you see my view is that he says ‘magnificent’ because he felt that the team followed his instructions and played how he instructed. Of course this can only ever go so far, there are 11 other players trying to stop them, but I digress. 

I’m fed up of fans using ‘the Derby Way’ as a stick to beat GR with, the Derby Way was intended as a structure for the club and not a way of playing a match. 

Theres a huge transition period at the moment, a patchwork quilt type thing, different players/styles/ideas/managers recruited and it’s going to take time to sort it out. If you don’t want to stick that out then don’t. I’d rather fans who boo stay away. I don’t think Mel will cry too much either, he said himself that ticket sales account for very little revenue. It’s got to work it’s way through, no manager is a miracle worker. I don’t really understand why some fans were unhappy getting rid of the bore fest that was Clough but moan about more recent managers being boring. 

Anyway, ask GR what his context was if that one word is such a big issue. 

Mmm...just for the record, I don't boo nor have I ever booed the team that I have supported for 47 years. I also think you over-generalise; and I rather think that MM would be concerned about a half-empty stadium and decreasing revenue on DCFC TV. Interesting how Wagner at Huddersfield, Staam at Reading and Warnock at Cardiff were able to get their teams playing within a short period of time...how long in months do you think GR needs to sort the "patchwork quilt"? :mellow:

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I agree just maybe.

And err that's what I was asking. No need for the snitty personal comments is there.

No, your right i and appologise for that

Sometimes it feels as though people are just arguing for the sake of arguing and spouting negativity for the sake of it and it winds me right up.

obviously not, and so i appologise for that, although i thought it was quite witty lol ;)

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

just think about it for a second..... do u think theyre maybe perhaps looking at it from two completely different aspects of the game.

the fan, entertainment and probably attacking intent and actual execution which rowett himself said we were poor in that respect and openly said the front 3 didnt show enough quality when it mattered

rowett and his "magnificent" comment is probably referring to the structure, organising and shape we showed to nullify a team who have and are still sitting top of the league and riding high completely on merit

Just maybe eh??

"Without the fans, there is no football". You think about that one. :mellow:

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

No, your right i and appologise for that

Sometimes it feels as though people are just arguing for the sake of arguing and spouting negativity for the sake of it and it winds me right up.

obviously not, and so i appologise for that, although i thought it was quite witty lol ;)

Consider that it's difficult to adjust to what Rowett is doing at Derby and how he's going about it. It's difficult to consider how he can see the Cardiff game 'from the start' even, as magnificent. Yes it's just one word but as I said Rowett says many things - which to believe or how to understand them. In the end there's only what happens on the pitch I guess. Not arguing for the sake of it, just trying to figure what the fook is going on with DCFC.

I understand that some fans see it differently but 'we're all Derby'. :)

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Mmm...just for the record, I don't boo nor have I ever booed the team that I have supported for 47 years. I also think you over-generalise; and I rather think that MM would be concerned about a half-empty stadium and decreasing revenue on DCFC TV. Interesting how Wagner at Huddersfield, Staam at Reading and Warnock at Cardiff were able to get their teams playing within a short period of time...how long in months do you think GR needs to sort the "patchwork quilt"? :mellow:

I don’t boo either, I was generalising that dissenters boo, sorry. I was probably at the BBG before you even heard of the rams. I’ve been there through it all.  Steve Mc got us playing well in a very short period of time, it doesn’t mean it lasts does it? I don’t think the swapping of managers every few months is worth debating yet again, there’s going to be some tough times coming but hopefully sticking with this one  

Who knows how long in months he needs, I don’t. A manager can have a million ideas but there’s 11 players who have to carry them out and another 11 stopping them, anything involving humans will never be an exact science. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Consider that it's difficult to adjust to what Rowett is doing at Derby and how he's going about it. It's difficult to consider how he can see the Cardiff game 'from the start' even, as magnificent. Yes it's just one word but as I said Rowett says many things - which to believe or how to understand them. In the end there's only what happens on the pitch I guess. Not arguing for the sake of it, just trying to figure what the fook is going on with DCFC.

I understand that some fans see it differently but 'we're all Derby'. :)

We're all wandering what fook is going off at derby lol.... and not just this season.

my honest take on it and what iv told myself and so am happy to let this season be written off ( and thats just my opinion im not expecting others to agree) is that 

we had a very good side in cloughs players and macs tactics etc and it worked brilliant.

that season we were treated to some of the best football iv seen at derby since smith and before that patches of the saunders/goddard lot.

we loved it and rightly so.

we didnt complete the job and go up and it happend in heartbreaking fashion.

after that, even though iv never been a fan id happily admit on that first stint mac and derby just worked and we should have backed him to the same tune that we did the likes of clement and pearson.

from that point onwards weve been a mess, backing a first time in management clement who on refelction with rush and the big contracts they brokered has probably done as much damage to us as platt did to forest.

pearson, well, we all know about that and he just added to an already bloated squad quite honestly was just a complete mess.

rowett i see as a kinda clough appointment and for me is from a simialr school of hard graft and doing the basics right... something that mac benefitted from hugely when he took on cloughs lot and added his own sparkle to.

rowett is no jim smith, it aint going to happen for him in one season, barring harry rednapp there was few in the game with the level of contacts as jim smith had and obviously rowett doesnt.

before he came to derby like it or not but rowett was regarded in footballing circles\ media etc etc as one of the brightest young managers about and u know what... im prepared to back that, and how do i back that.... by giving him something that is more valuable in the modern game than pretty much anything else ... time and patience

as a season ticket holder im prepared to write off this season cos i believe we will be a stronger club for it, 10 players are out of contract this summer... 10!!

thats the wriggle room we need and im genuinely hopeful that when rowett has instilled some much needed basics back into this side... which are the ugly things then with time it will give us the playform to win... and who knows maybe entertain lol.

(Please note, just my thoughts/take on things im not asking for a debate on them lol) 

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

There's two questions in there really. Firstly, Rowett's post match interview & his choice of words - I wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment whether the performance was 'magnificent' or not but the result was certainly very good in both the context of Cardiff's start & how wretched we've been away from home in recent weeks. Could he also have been aiming the praise at his players rather than the fans? Their confidence must have taken a hit after Sheffield, Bristol & what was a pretty shaky performance (if not result) at Brentford.

Secondly regarding Rowett's general style of play, I don't think its ever going to be fluid or buccaneering. Away from home, we will look to set up to earn results rather than impress whereas at home, we'll look to dominate play that bit more. Is that a bad thing? Depends what you want from the side but there is a certain logic in being hard to beat away from home rather than being expansive. As Jim Smith was fond of saying, win at home, draw away & you'll always been in the mix for promotion.

On the subject of style, Billy Davies' team was pretty attritional but people excused that because of the results. I suspect when the results start to come for Rowett, some of the issues about style might ebb away. If it doesn't for you, that's fair enough. I also prefer a passing style (loved George Burley's team) but don't mind pragmatism on occasions when the circumstances call for it. Two tough away games at Brentford & Cardiff (for me) come into that criteria.

Leeds yes have to agree with you I spent £120 last week for myself and wife Togo to Brentford and Cardiff and must admit the football was not good totally outplayed at Brentford but got a lucky point At Cardiff we were not brilliant but we did control the game for large parts and although boring we deserved the point I think your right Rowett will never play an expansive game especially away from home but if results improve most fans will buy into it We would all prefer fast open football but as you pointed out Billy Davies got promoted on 1-0 wins 

It’s clear that Rowett has a plan, those that claim to not see one are the ones that complain the loudest about games like yesterday where a plan was executed magnifically.

Was it entertaining? Was it b*******.

I could throw examples out there all day long where top clubs have set out to be hard to beat, nick a goal, but my time would be wasted as we should be beating teams like Cardiff because we’re Derby County, respect is not earned, it simply doesn’t exist.

Becoming hard to beat is no bad thing. In fact I would say when done right it can be a valuable part of a managers weaponary. 

Wouldn't want to see it week in week out, but away against in form top of the table and used effectively, a point is a decent result. 

Home next, with Forest looking pretty vulnerable at the back, expect/hoping we’ll see something a little more adventurous whilst bearing in mind Forest are no mugs going forward.

Archived