Brentford V Derby County

peachmyster

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JaguarRam said:

Positives.. Ledley... We are 1-0 up away from home..  We have withstood the pressure...

We could try cheering for a change?

Don't be daft.

Just now, The Arch Deacon said:

Yeah,yeah, yeah, there's only one stat that counts and all that....blah blah! But seriously, only 17% possession first half!?!? This is Brentford we're playing. 4th from bottom of the Championship! Not mid 70's Brazil! We are so poor at just doing the simple stuff like passing a ball to a team mate!!!

Yeah your spot on there ! Id rather be 1-0 down as long as weve had a lot of the ball.:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Reading comments on here without knowing the score and you'd think we were a few down at half time. I don't know if those commenting on how bad it is are watching, or if they've just seen the 83% v 17% and drawn their own conclusions but here's a couple of comments from Brentford fans...

"Derby are strong and organised and break quickly. Call it anti football if you like, but it looks very professional to me."

"Derby defending very well, came with a game plan and are sticking to it very well."

Other comments suggesting they've been very poor and look like 'relegation fodder'. You of course have the usual comments slating the way we're playing, described as 'northern cloggers' by one chap.

Fascinating how the same game can be portrayed so differently based on who you follow.

They're right, we've defended really well and we've had to against all that possession. But, as a Derby fan, it's horrible.

1 minute ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Yeah,yeah, yeah, there's only one stat that counts and all that....blah blah! But seriously, only 17% possession first half!?!? This is Brentford we're playing. 4th from bottom of the Championship! Not mid 70's Brazil! We are so poor at just doing the simple stuff like passing a ball to a team mate!!!

Your comment would be alright if Brentford hadn't been one of the best possession football teams in this division for a few years now. So making out their crap is wrong (4th bottom) 17% is staggeringly low though, keeping the ball for a bit second half might not be a bad idea ?

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Reading comments on here without knowing the score and you'd think we were a few down at half time. I don't know if those commenting on how bad it is are watching, or if they've just seen the 83% v 17% and drawn their own conclusions but here's a couple of comments from Brentford fans...

"Derby are strong and organised and break quickly. Call it anti football if you like, but it looks very professional to me."

"Derby defending very well, came with a game plan and are sticking to it very well."

Other comments suggesting they've been very poor and look like 'relegation fodder'. You of course have the usual comments slating the way we're playing, described as 'northern cloggers' by one chap.

Fascinating how the same game can be portrayed so differently based on who you follow.

How many of them are watching?

Just now, blackNwhites said:

They're right, we've defended really well and we've had to against all that possession. But, as a Derby fan, it's horrible.

I agree it may not be the best to watch, but it's not easy to go away to many teams in this league. Brentford stands out as one of the sides we never really seem to do well against away from home except from a couple years ago when we scored three in about five minutes.

We've not been brilliant away from home, and if we want to have any chance of a productive season we need to pick points up away from home, I don't care how they come. Use the home games to be more expressive and attacking, but I don't think we'll see many Hull-type of performances away from home this season. Any points away to teams like Brentford, regardless of where they are in the league, is a good result - they're a good side. If it means having 20% possession but taking something home, then so be it.

A long, long way to go but if things finish as they are now, including the possession stats I expect plenty will be moaning endlessly about tonight, but I won't.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We shouldn’t only be having 15% possession for Christ sake, Brentford aren’t Barcelona! Thought rowett said things would change away from home, we need to try and control a bit of football. Not everything has to be played at 100mph or we achieve nothing.

I don't disagree with what you say, but there was an article on the BBC today about teams ball possession so far this season and Brentford are 81st on there - one of only a couple of Championship teams in the top 100. (above Arsenal as well) Possession appears to be one of their strengths and usually I would say it is what you do with it that counts but if we only have 15% we won't have many opportunities to do anything with it.

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

How many of them are watching?

You'll have to ask them, but more chance of them than us. They could of course just be looking at the possession stats and thinking wow all that possession and we're losing, we're s***. Derby fans look at the statistic and think how are we still holding on?! We're s***...

Same game, same stats, completely opposite perspectives.

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Your comment would be alright if Brentford hadn't been one of the best possession football teams in this division for a few years now. So making out their crap is wrong (4th bottom) 17% is staggeringly low though, keeping the ball for a bit second half might not be a bad idea ?

Never said they're crap, and take your point they're a decent team. But this is Derby we're talking about. 30,000 plus every home game. An expensive squad and a club with rightly high expectations. 17% possession????? Let's stop offering excuses for less than mediocre football!!! We deserve better surely, ffs!

Archived