International Break - Boredom Buster

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For the younger posters can we change it to players from Gregory, Todd, Brown and Jewell eras? That would be a much better challenge!

Wasnt around for Clough and Mackay era but from Cox and Smith era I think I would go for Gregory and Eranio.

Huddlestone, Riggott, Grant and Eustace please.

The irony of course being that all 4 have had already had a second spell at the club.

Incredible how often we take back old players. 

23 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Huddlestone, Riggott, Grant and Eustace please.

The irony of course being that all 4 have had already had a second spell at the club.

Incredible how often we take back old players. 

Huddlestone got his debut with Burley

Riggott was Smith

Eustace was Clough both times

Not sure where the Todd, Brown and Jewell players were (maybe pushing Riggott with Todd)

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For the younger posters can we change it to players from Gregory, Todd, Brown and Jewell eras? That would be a much better challenge!

Wasnt around for Clough and Mackay era but from Cox and Smith era I think I would go for Gregory and Eranio.

Lordy, thats a bit tough.

But I was too young for the great days.

Gregory - Danny Higginbotham

Todd - Poom

Brown - Danny Graham

Jewell - Gary Teale (just to show the Russell haters)

Although for Gregory/Todd you have the embers of Jim Smith, Brown still had some of Burley's players and Jewell had some of the better players who got us up. Until he sold them to bring in Tito and Savage.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Lordy, thats a bit tough.

But I was too young for the great days.

Gregory - Danny Higginbotham

Todd - Poom

Brown - Danny Graham

Jewell - Gary Teale (just to show the Russell haters)

Although for Gregory/Todd you have the embers of Jim Smith, Brown still had some of Burley's players and Jewell had some of the better players who got us up. Until he sold them to bring in Tito and Savage.

I think you're on the wrong thread.

Macfarland

George

Shilton

Igor

Giving

Shilton

Wisdom Macfarland Stimac

Anya     Thorne  Hudds Forsyth

Vydra  Martin  George

omg I love this game - got a little too excited picking this team

Nearly went with Poom and Wright instead of Shilts and Igor - find it hard to think of Shilts as real Derby !!

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great challenge.

There's no team in the world that wouldn't be improved by Roy McFarland at his peak. Separating the Clough and Mackay teams is tricky from memory, but I'd love Charlie George in any side so I'm happy to choose him. 

From Arthur's team it's a choice between Saunders and ooh Mark Wright, but for me Wright was such an incredibly gifted ball playing centre half I'd want him in my team.

What do we need from Jim Smith to complete the package? The midfield skills of Asanovic or Eranio or the forward ability of Wanchope or Sturridge?

My team is:

Carson

Wisdom    Wright    McFarland    Lowe

Huddlestone      Thorne

Lawrence      George      Asanovic

Martin

Mr Sagan, Sir! You are obviously a chap of great discernment. I am fully in agreement with you and I like the look of McFarland, Wright and George. Charlie George was such a box of brilliance when in his pomp at Derby. I know you were constrained by the "rules" of the game but McFarland without Todd is like salt without pepper, gin without tonic, salmon without scrambled eggs. Just a memory lane thought really...did we realise at the time when we had the likes of Todd, McFarland et alia, just how lucky we were? Will we ever see their like again? Some people are born with God-given football class...

13 hours ago, ramblur said:

cI want a strong defence and I can't have Toddy&Roy Mac,so I've gone for Toddy and Mark Wright.I just have to pick Charlie and Eranio. I think Mason tries too hard and needs to relax more,and if you can't relax in this team,you've got problems.As I like a bit of youth in the team I've gone for Max Lowe,who's impressed me,and I like him going forward.Toddy minded a class act like David Nish through his initial bad spell,so if Max ever got into difficulties,the express tank would look after him. My team:-

Carson,Wisdom,Wright,Todd,Lowe,Thorne,Eranio,Bennett,Vydra,George,Lawrence.

An alternative poser,but I don't want to muck up the excellent thread, would be to pick 4 from the current squad to somehow try to improve Brian,Dave,Jim and Arthur's teams (one for each,and you have to decide which ones to replace).I've picked George,Tom,Chris& Vyds,but it's going to take me weeks to decide which teams and who to replace.

I don't think Bridgford's rules would stop both Toddy and Roy Mac being picked - you would just have to use both your Brian pick and your Dave pick to get them together which then means you couldn't have Charlie

No real knowledge of the older eras bar Match of the 70s and DVDs.

Cox is my own golden age, followed by Smith.

Saunders is my all time favourite Derby player so pips Wright, McMinn etc. McFarland is a legend, Gemmill scored that goal againsy Holland, and that leaves me needing a winger so I think it has to be Asa.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh MCFARLAND Forsyth

Thorne GEMMILL

Lawrence Vydra ASANOVIC

SAUNDERS

Have to bear in mind these were top flight players and we are a distance from that, so it was inevitable there would ne at least a handful of superior players from each era, but would anyone from the Dwarf/Jewell era get in anyone's team?

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Mr Sagan, Sir! You are obviously a chap of great discernment. I am fully in agreement with you and I like the look of McFarland, Wright and George. Charlie George was such a box of brilliance when in his pomp at Derby. I know you were constrained by the "rules" of the game but McFarland without Todd is like salt without pepper, gin without tonic, salmon without scrambled eggs. Just a memory lane thought really...did we realise at the time when we had the likes of Todd, McFarland et alia, just how lucky we were? Will we ever see their like again? Some people are born with God-given football class...

I was only little but somehow (he still doesn't know how) my old man got season tickets for me to share with my older brother. So we alternated games, starting from when I was five, allowing me to see the first Championship season and onwards. At that age it didn't occur to me there might come a time when we weren't the best team in the country. And you are right I cannot imagine a better central defensive pairing than Todd and McFarland. What class and quality! You're right that not picking them together is like having Earth without the Moon, or Saturn without its rings (to use a Sagan-style analogy). They should have formed the heart of the England defence for years (and with the cultured David Nish too).

How fortunate we were indeed, to witness such football.

31 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't think Bridgford's rules would stop both Toddy and Roy Mac being picked - you would just have to use both your Brian pick and your Dave pick to get them together which then means you couldn't have Charlie

Sacre bleu.I don't care what they say,I won't stay in a world without Charlie.

Archived