International Break - Boredom Buster

Bridgford Ram

I have tried to watch the England game but as always they are under performing.  My mind started wandering and I came up with this;

If you could take 1 player from each of the Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith eras to improve the current squad, who would you take and what would your XI be?  

Clough era - Alan Hinton

Mackay era - David Nish

Cox era - Dean Saunders

Smith era - Paolo Wanchope.

Not necessarily the best players from each era - no McFarland, Hector, Todd, George, Wright, Shilton or Stimac but I have picked out what I feel to be the current weaknesses and addressed them, giving me

------------------ Carson ----------------

Wisdom - Davies - Keogh - Nish

Lawrence - Johnson - Huddlestone - Hinton

---------- Saunders - Wanchope ---------

Have a go, see if you can beat it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great challenge.

There's no team in the world that wouldn't be improved by Roy McFarland at his peak. Separating the Clough and Mackay teams is tricky from memory, but I'd love Charlie George in any side so I'm happy to choose him. 

From Arthur's team it's a choice between Saunders and ooh Mark Wright, but for me Wright was such an incredibly gifted ball playing centre half I'd want him in my team.

What do we need from Jim Smith to complete the package? The midfield skills of Asanovic or Eranio or the forward ability of Wanchope or Sturridge?

My team is:

Carson

Wisdom    Wright    McFarland    Lowe

Huddlestone      Thorne

Lawrence      George      Asanovic

Martin

We don't need to aim so high.....

clough - robson 

mackay - daniel 

cox - chandler 

smith - carsley

carson

wisdom . Keogh.   Daniel  Robson

.          Carsley.    Huddlestone

russell.           Vydra .        Chandler

.                      Martin

Oooh this is a great thread. Well done Bridgford

my four: From Brian's side Archie Gemmill for his leadership, drive and cussedness and ability; from Dave's side Charlie George because he had everything you would want in a footballer; from Arthur's side Peter Shilton the moaniest keeper I've ever seen, but the best; and from Jim's side Eranio for his movement and genius.

Shilton, wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Fozzy (at his best);  Thorne;  Eranio, George, Gemmill, Lawrence; Martin

Christ, the players I haven't picked...........

cI want a strong defence and I can't have Toddy&Roy Mac,so I've gone for Toddy and Mark Wright.I just have to pick Charlie and Eranio. I think Mason tries too hard and needs to relax more,and if you can't relax in this team,you've got problems.As I like a bit of youth in the team I've gone for Max Lowe,who's impressed me,and I like him going forward.Toddy minded a class act like David Nish through his initial bad spell,so if Max ever got into difficulties,the express tank would look after him. My team:-

Carson,Wisdom,Wright,Todd,Lowe,Thorne,Eranio,Bennett,Vydra,George,Lawrence.

An alternative poser,but I don't want to muck up the excellent thread, would be to pick 4 from the current squad to somehow try to improve Brian,Dave,Jim and Arthur's teams (one for each,and you have to decide which ones to replace).I've picked George,Tom,Chris& Vyds,but it's going to take me weeks to decide which teams and who to replace.

I've gone for the old 'spine' approach - goalie, central defender, central midfielder, striker.

Clough - Boulton

Mackay - George

Cox - Wright

TBE - Eranio

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great challenge.

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Oooh this is a great thread. Well done Bridgford

5 hours ago, ramblur said:

...I don't want to muck up the excellent thread,

Thank goodness for that, I went to bed last night and this thread was on fifty odd views and no replies - I thought that no one liked the thread!

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For the younger posters can we change it to players from Gregory, Todd, Brown and Jewell eras? That would be a much better challenge!

Wasnt around for Clough and Mackay era but from Cox and Smith era I think I would go for Gregory and Eranio.

Feuer

Wisdom   Keogh  Hajto  Forsyth

Lawrence  Ducrocq  Hudd  Johnson

Holdsworth  Martin

:huh:

Clough - Hinton

McKay - George

Cox - Wright

Asanovic

I don't think defending if our problem, so bar Wright, who'd do Keogh's job of bringing it out from the back (a lot more elegantly), I've gone for creativity - 

--------------------------Carson

Wisdom-------Wright----------Keogh---------Forsyth

------------------Huddlestone--Johnson

George---------------Asanovic----------------Hinton

-------------------------Nugent

8 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

McFarland

Archie Gemmill

Mark Wright

Eranio

Carson

Wisdom McFarland Wright Forsyth

Eranio Gemmill Huddlestone Lawrence

Vydra

Nugent Martin 

I read this and thought "Wow that's a strong side", then realised that my "nearly namesake" had picked a team of twelve players!!!

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For the younger posters can we change it to players from Gregory, Todd, Brown and Jewell eras? That would be a much better challenge!

Wasnt around for Clough and Mackay era but from Cox and Smith era I think I would go for Gregory and Eranio.

No because somebody is bound to chose Robbie Savage

Archived