Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

He is both an excellent fit and awful fit.

We need a big bullying striker to fill Nugent’s boots now he seems to be slowing down a bit, just needs to be able to move the defence about a bit to create space for Vyds and chip in with a handful of goals before the end of the season. Nugent and Winnall will probably still play their part.

Jerome historically fits that bill and 1.5 million is peanuts.

However, we do not not not need another 30+ striker on the books. We might get use out of him until the end of the season but if we don’t go up, we’re stuck with Nugent and Jerome as our two strikers- both 33 and on big wages. Good luck shifting them.

And if Norwich fans are saying his legs have gone already, what are we actually achieving in bringing him in? It might be that they’re fed up of him, like some Derby fans are with Martin, so are just badmouthing him on his way out but I reckon he could be a dud.

Hate to be a “Martinite” but this team is playing football more and more, I’d rather see him stick around and see where we are at the end of the season. We’ve won games when Martin’s started, Nugent’s started and Winnall’s started. I don’t think 2018 Cameron Jerome represents enough of a step up from any of them to warrant bringing him in.

I'm completely with you @Leicester Ram

As much as I like Martin I wouldn't be opposed to letting Martin go if it meant bringing somebody who is going to be an improvement on Nugent/Winnall. I could even understand letting Martin go and bring in a young player with bags of potential. 

But Jerome ? An aging player who relied on his athleticism but has lost his pace? I just don't see how this makes us a better side. 

If it's a case of Martin wanting out and Jerome is the only player in the right price range, just tell Martin to suck it up and you'll let him go in the summer.

Whole thing doesn’t quite add up.

If GR is an admirer then Martin out will have to happen first. He’s on record over and over as not adding anyone until we reduce. He has also been saying he’s looking for forward players to improve the mix. I’m neutral on jerome not keen on his age or his record, but at this point Rowett is making thoroughbreds out of ponies so whatever he decides I’m  ? with. 

The best player we could introduce into the mix in my view is Thomas.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Whole thing doesn’t quite add up.

If GR is an admirer then Martin out will have to happen first. He’s on record over and over as not adding anyone until we reduce. He has also been saying he’s looking for forward players to improve the mix. I’m neutral on jerome not keen on his age or his record, but at this point Rowett is making thoroughbreds out of ponies so whatever he decides I’m  ? with. 

The best player we could introduce into the mix in my view is Thomas.

Oh no I feel dirty, I agree with you ! 

14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Haven't we learnt to trust the club yet? An opinion is fine but let's not pretend we know best. 

Couldn't agree more can't believe our fans are taking any notice of what Norwich fans are saying  The most successful Championship manager of all time is Warnock and he's on record as saying he's interested in signing Jerome 

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

He is both an excellent fit and awful fit.

We need a big bullying striker to fill Nugent’s boots now he seems to be slowing down a bit, just needs to be able to move the defence about a bit to create space for Vyds and chip in with a handful of goals before the end of the season. Nugent and Winnall will probably still play their part.

''slowing down a bit'' :lol:

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

''slowing down a bit'' :lol:

I was there yesterday, if you watched him for the 20 mins or so he was on, he didn’t look as sharp as he did at the start of the season. It’s natural and part of having older strikers. Doesn’t mean he still can’t contribute like he did at the end yesterday but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he can’t play full 90’s for us anymore, particularly when the striker is expected to do so much running in Rowett’s system.

Just because he got an assist off the bench yesterday doesn’t mean he’s suddenly 28 again.

12 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Didn't we have this last year? Weren't we imminently about to sign Rhodes from Middlesborough - then it turned out to be Nuge at the last minute?

This Jerome thing is obviously a smokescreen for Oliviera.

Wish you were right pal but it appears to be the other way around :ermm:

18 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I was there yesterday, if you watched him for the 20 mins or so he was on, he didn’t look as sharp as he did at the start of the season. It’s natural and part of having older strikers. Doesn’t mean he still can’t contribute like he did at the end yesterday but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he can’t play full 90’s for us anymore, particularly when the striker is expected to do so much running in Rowett’s system.

Just because he got an assist off the bench yesterday doesn’t mean he’s suddenly 28 again.

Yeah was only pulling your leg, more than anything happy to see that at 32 he still has that pace and trickery to take apart defence's at this level.

In regards to Jerome, if Winnall and Martin aren't good enough to fully dislodge Nugent from the team and assuming none of them would be good enough to be first choice in the PL, would buying another striker of the same calibre make sense? A loan would make far more sense in my eyes, envisioning a bigger signing in the summer if promotion was achieved?

34 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wish you were right pal but it appears to be the other way around :ermm:

I'm on board anyway now. He scores lots of goals in the Championship - he's a big lad, looks fit to me. Obviously unsettled at Norwich which probably accounts for his 1 in 8 this season. A fresh start might be just the ticket for him - he could bang in 10 goals for us this season and then have another crack at the Premiership with the Mighy Rams!

8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I'm on board anyway now. He scores lots of goals in the Championship - he's a big lad, looks fit to me. Obviously unsettled at Norwich which probably accounts for his 1 in 8 this season. A fresh start might be just the ticket for him - he could bang in 10 goals for us this season and then have another crack at the Premiership with the Mighy Rams!

Also a youngster compared to Donaldson and Clarke at the Blades. Could be the signing that we look back on as crucial.

Archived