Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, David said:

He does know where the net is in this league, 16 last season and 18 in the season they went up (14/15), hasn't set the Premier League alight which is no surprise given the rumoured fee. Does score goals though.

He's scored 2 in 17 this season. That's the most pertinent stat. He's had a couple of decent seasons when he's scored goals in the past, but never as many as Martin (who he's older than) and certainly not as many as Bent (neither of whom are getting game time).

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Appalled :lol:   Don’t be so melodramatic Carl.  What do you know/think about Jerome that suggests he could be potentially disruptive? Can’t say he gets my juices flowing, but he has always been a steady goal scorer and a 110% trier.  Even if he doesn’t score too many goals l can imagine him creating lots of space for Vydra, Lawrence, Weimann and Russell to exploit. 

Apologies I didn't mean Jerome himself is a disruptive influence. The long version is that Rowett has worked wonders to keep Vydra, Nugent, Martin, Winnall, Bent, Weimann, Russell, Lawrence all onside and playing for each other and supporting the squad when game time for some of them has been very limited. All are already being rotated, substituted or not playing. That is an incredible strikeforce but the players have been prepared to wait their turn.

Bring in another striker now and some of those eight great senior strikers we already have drop down the pecking order and that's when it becomes disruptive. We have the players who have got us to second place and taken 39 points from the last 17 games. Why disrupt it to bring in a poor man's Sam Winnall/Darren Bent?

Signing Cameron Jerome would be like re-signing Leon Best. We're better than that now.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He's scored 2 in 17 this season. That's the most pertinent stat. He's had a couple of decent seasons when he's scored goals in the past, but never as many as Martin (who he's older than) and certainly not as many as Bent (neither of whom are getting game time).

Apologies I didn't mean Jerome himself is a disruptive influence. The long version is that Rowett has worked wonders to keep Vydra, Nugent, Martin, Winnall, Bent, Weimann, Russell, Lawrence all onside and playing for each other and supporting the squad when game time for some of them has been very limited. All are already being rotated, substituted or not playing. That is an incredible strikeforce but the players have been prepared to wait their turn.

Bring in another striker now and some of those eight great senior strikers we already have drop down the pecking order and that's when it becomes disruptive. We have the players who have got us to second place and taken 39 points from the last 17 games. Why disrupt it to bring in a poor man's Sam Winnall/Darren Bent?

Signing Cameron Jerome would be like re-signing Leon Best. We're better than that now.

You have better contacts than me Carl but l would put a sizeable wedge on a bet that Bent has already played his last game for Derby, and that Martin will be sold/loaned this window if a deal can be done.  

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He's scored 2 in 17 this season. That's the most pertinent stat.

11 league starts, 4 sub 

970 minutes on the pitch which is around 10.7 in games.

1 goal, 2 assists.

He's had a couple of decent seasons when he's scored goals in the past, but never as many as Martin (who he's older than) and certainly not as many as Bent (neither of whom are getting game time).

Talking of which Martin, 5 starts, 18 subs

837 minutes on the pitch which is 9.3 games.

1 goal.

Fairly even.

You’re right, he hasn’t scored as many as Martin before who scored 22 in 4056 minutes. 

Cameron’s best 18 in 3169 which is still impressive, argument could be made that given another 887 minutes on the pitch that season he may have equaled that record.

Got to be on the pitch to score. Either way he does score goals as does Chris Martin, both of which haven’t been on it this season or first choice.

To say he doesn’t is factually incorrect.

29 minutes ago, David said:

11 league starts, 4 sub 

970 minutes on the pitch which is around 10.7 in games.

1 goal, 2 assists.

Talking of which Martin, 5 starts, 18 subs

837 minutes on the pitch which is 9.3 games.

1 goal.

Fairly even.

You’re right, he hasn’t scored as many as Martin before who scored 22 in 4056 minutes. 

Cameron’s best 18 in 3169 which is still impressive, argument could be made that given another 887 minutes on the pitch that season he may have equaled that record.

Got to be on the pitch to score. Either way he does score goals as does Chris Martin, both of which haven’t been on it this season or first choice.

To say he doesn’t is factually incorrect.

You were doing fine until the last line. OK. I'll say "he doesn't score goals nowadays". That seems factually correct for 1 in 970 minutes' playing time and makes one of my points.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

You were doing fine until the last line. OK. I'll say "he doesn't score goals nowadays". That seems factually correct for 1 in 970 minutes' playing time and makes one of my points.

I’ll give you that, can’t argue with you there.

You’re tweet to John Percy made me chuckle, will give you that as well, I could list many players that could be worse signings mind you! :p 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Jesus christ hes *****. All our current crop are better than this donkey

I've heard he speaks highly of you.

It's not about being better than. It's about being different to.....

Stories of our interest might be pie in the sky, but I'd have no issues if it was true.

Options. 

39 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You have better contacts than me Carl but l would put a sizeable wedge on a bet that Bent has already played his last game for Derby, and that Martin will be sold/loaned this window if a deal can be done.  

Flattery gets you everywhere and I think you may be right on both counts. But if that happens we're second in the Championship in a great position, so it's not the time to replace two ageing strikers with another ageing striker who is less prolific than either of them and has never done it in the top flight. Three goals in 34 Prem games a few years ago in Norwich's relegation season when he was still in his twenties. Madness. If we sell to buy then we should do it to bring in someone who can do a job for more than the next 19 games.

I think in the circumstances - us being 2nd and making a serious tilt at promotion - this potential signing is a little puzzling.

If we were saddled in midtable, Vydra wasn't firing on all cylinders, Nugent and Winnall weren't chipping in, and generally we were not going anywhere fast, Jerome would be a shrewd addition.

He is a proven striker at this level and he has the kind of qualities Rowett could work with - he's big and strong yet mobile and athletic and scores goals - and you could see how Jerome might flourish here if Rowett is able to invigorate him in the same way he has invigorated Vydra.

This signing, on the face of it, seems indulgent and wholly unnecessary, especially if Bent and Martin stick around. Surely we should hold fire and get a better quality of player in the summer, a player primed for PL football.

But to be fair, I viewed Winnall's signing with the very same raised eyebrows and he has done well. So let's see what happens.

Pretty much a waste of time disagreeing with GR as he obviously knows more than us on here, it would appear.

I cannot imagine there being any helpful hints from GR about transfers apart from a few denials. The players will simply go and arrive and little will be said about it.

Rowett is only thinking about getting promotion because he knows that he needs big money to stay in the Prem, but his tactics would get us enough  points to finish slightly above 18th place.

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think in the circumstances - us being 2nd and making a serious tilt at promotion - this potential signing is a little puzzling.

If we were saddled in midtable, Vydra wasn't firing on all cylinders, Nugent and Winnall weren't chipping in, and generally we were not going anywhere fast, Jerome would be a shrewd addition.

He is a proven striker at this level and he has the kind of qualities Rowett could work with - he's big and strong yet mobile and athletic and scores goals - and you could see how Jerome might flourish here if Rowett is able to invigorate him in the same way he has invigorated Vydra.

This signing, on the face of it, seems indulgent and wholly unnecessary, especially if Bent and Martin stick around. Surely we should hold fire and get a better quality of player in the summer, a player primed for PL football.

But to be fair, I viewed Winnall's signing with the very same raised eyebrows and he has done well. So let's see what happens.

Make your mind up! Words like “puzzling”,”indulgent” and “wholly unnecessary “ and then you contradict it with some common sense!?

Archived