Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

If you’ve seen Messi play this season then you’d realise that salah is not better than Messi currently. Messi has just as many goals as Salah despite playing as a midfielder under a pragmatic manager in valverde. Salah is brilliant but to suggest that salah is better is ludicrous 

Putting things into perspective, both Messi and Ronaldo play in a 3-team league.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, eddie said:

Putting things into perspective, both Messi and Ronaldo play in a 3-team league.

If you put United, Liverpool and Arsenal etc. in La Liga it would still be a 3-team league. 

In terms of the final, Liverpool have a chance. Real Madrid have struggled against teams who have applied pressure this season.

Madrid are the sort of team which would pick off a defensive-minded team with ease. But really go at them, and they’re vulnerable with a lack of mobility out of possession.

Spurs found gaps against them fairly easily. Liverpool can too with their front three.

I fully expect Liverpool to beat Madrid in the final.

I tipped Liverpool back in February. The Champions League is suited to their style because in knockout football, it only takes one great night, where it all clicks, to progress. In previous rounds, winning so comprehensively in the first leg gave them the springboard to advance.

The final is a one-off game so unlike over a league campaign where their levels of consistency and endurance would be scrutinised more heavily, this situation is more favourable. They can play at full throttle, with desire, intensity and aggression knowing that everything can be left on the pitch because they have no other games to conserve themselves for.  Add to that, they only have to stop Madrid for 90 minutes barring extra time, whereas over two legs and a trip to the Bernabeu, perhaps their defence would face a more thorough examination. Ronaldo and company only need to have an off night once and they have fallen at the hands of lesser teams in a one-off game.

Bayern's front four caused Madrid all manner of problems over the two legs and even Juventus found some joy in the quarter finals, so I think Madrid will be worried about Liverpool's front three. They are playing with such confidence, hunger, composure and look frightening in full flow. 

With their pedigree, Madrid are the obvious favourites but they haven't really sparkled in this tournament. So for me, I can't look past Liverpool. I just expect them to show greater intensity, greater desire, greater commitment and greater attacking quality and this will be the difference for me.

It will be an open game and I would expect Madrid to score. But if Liverpool play their natural game and don't get overawed by the opposition and the occasion, they will create chances and unlike Bayern in the previous round, I doubt they will squander them.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If you put United, Liverpool and Arsenal etc. in La Liga it would still be a 3-team league. 

In terms of the final, Liverpool have a chance. Real Madrid have struggled against teams who have applied pressure this season.

Madrid are the sort of team which would pick off a defensive-minded team with ease. But really go at them, and they’re vulnerable with a lack of mobility out of possession.

Spurs found gaps against them fairly easily. Liverpool can too with their front three.

Nah I would think it would be United, City and Madrid would sneak in.  Your right though, Madrid are used to defensive minded teams in their league, I’ll give you that.

8 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

West Brom score in the 92nd minute!

They are still not dead - but they need Everton to beat Southampton, next Tuesday's match between Swansea and Southampton to be a draw, both those to lose their last game and West Brom to win their last game. That would put them above Southampton on points and above Swansea on goal difference.

Dog's chance, I know, but still a chance. In cricket parlance, three bat-handles.

Archived