Derby County v Preston North End

Mafiabob

2 minutes ago, thelovebelow said:

We weren't great first half but better the second. I know GW wanted more tempo but that can come at a cost of rushing. We needed more composure to let the quality of the players shine through. The players in the first 20 mins of the second half slowed the play down and looked for the pass which made a huge difference, instead of percentage, kick it upfield for runners to latch on to, and needlessly giving away posession. This just puts more pressure on the team. 

We need balance. Picking up the tempo is fine, but that has to be textured in with picking out the passes. We need to get back through 'Going through the gears' like we did under Mac's first season. Change the speed and control the game. Otherwise, it's pure chaos, and against higher quality opposition, that will cost you. 

Let's hope GW starts with changing tempo in the next game rather than high octane stuff throughout the game. Control it. Slow it down, speed it up. 

Who the f&@@ is GW ?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thelovebelow said:

We weren't great first half but better the second. I know GR wanted more tempo but that can come at a cost of rushing. We needed more composure to let the quality of the players shine through. The players in the first 20 mins of the second half slowed the play down and looked for the pass which made a huge difference, instead of percentage, kick it upfield for runners to latch on to, and needlessly giving away posession. This just puts more pressure on the team. 

We need balance. Picking up the tempo is fine, but that has to be textured in with picking out the passes. We need to get back through 'Going through the gears' like we did under Mac's first season. Change the speed and control the game. Otherwise, it's pure chaos, and against higher quality opposition, that will cost you. 

Let's hope GR starts with changing tempo in the next game rather than high octane stuff throughout the game. Control it. Slow it down, speed it up. 

I'm glad you corrected GW (Gary Wowett, long lost second cousin of Woy Hodgson) to GR ?

Just got back. Much much much better. Keogh was utterly fantastic and that's an understatement. I'm not a Weimann fan but he worked his Austrian socks off. Do not change this lineup Mr. Rowett. They were gritty showed heart and created plenty of chances. Having 4 attacking players who worked their nuts off and linked together was an honour to watch. Finishing was woeful but a terrible referee finally came good for us.

onwards and upwards! 

5 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

As an aside from tonight's results is it possible there is anything more depressing than the prospect of Wolves and Cardiff going up? Money FC and Miserable FC.

Forest going up. Us going down. Never getting another blowy. I could go on all night really......:p

1-0 and the goal a penalty .. Sounds dull ?

Not a bit of it. Great evening out.

yea verily did Gary play 2 up front and lo, the multitude saw that we have a strike force. 

Weiman MOTM for effort, skill and chances created. He worked hard on Saturday but this was a different level. Looked like the football player we thought he might be when he came.

I loved Toms passing and first touch. Liked the Hudds / Bradley pairing .. Seemed to compliment each other. 

Wisdom has the touch too. Great to see not just brick walls at the back but ones with adornments, capping stones and well pointed mortar. Composure, tackling strength 

Keogh still doing the biz as a Crazy horse bersion of Beckenbaur. Good game.  

Still have doubts about Olsons defending but going forward he is a terrier menace.

Johhny had an iffy game but he doesn't give up. Got the feeling that after a bad start he got kicked and clattered which then re lit his fire. He isn't polished but I am not joining the knockers - there are better players but he is a Ram.

Vdydra will only get better with more games .. He can't half move and linked really well with Nuge loads of times

poor old Carson never gets a mention cos he is just a ronseal guy. he's a keeper. He Guards the goal .. No goals scored .. Job done ! 

A solid team performance and some moments of real zip and panache

add Tom Lawrence  .. And the only way is up 

Much better. Vydra played in that position will cause teams problems no end. I hope we don't sell Olsson, was fantastic tonight. As expected, looks much better than Forsyth, I think it'll be a while before he's back to his best. Keogh was also quality, still not sure about Davies. 

Weimann my MOTM, don't think I've seen a player work as hard as him ever. Non stop sprinting round the pitch and actually had a bit of quality at the end of it. It's Russell's place Lawrence takes after Andi's showing. 

Should have been 3 or 4-0, but like always, Derby make the win a hard one. 

24 minutes ago, DEL said:

Good win we deserved it tbh.

Good to see Derby fans gave Johnny a decent standing ovation tonight. ?

How the heck Nugent not score there? 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I clapped out of relief rather than appreciation. 

Just had a sneaky peek on one of the Preston forums. Some of their fans reckon we look a poor side, that a draw would have been a fair result (with a few claiming they were the better team) and that they will finish above us this season. 

Don't get me wrong, they are far from the worst side I've seen at Pride Park and I don't think they'll struggle, but that was not what I took from tonight's game...

That game should pretty much have sorted the starting 11 now (apart from the striker spot) and it's up to the others to break their way in.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson

Huddlestone Johnson

Weimann Vydra Lawrence

Martin/Nugent

I just hope Weimann will still be as effective as he was today when moved over to the right.

Just now, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Just had a sneaky peek on one of the Preston forums. Some of their fans reckon we look a poor side, that a draw would have been a fair result (with a few claiming they were the better team) and that they will finish above us this season. 

Don't get me wrong, they are far from the worst side I've seen at Pride Park and I don't think they'll struggle, but that was not what I took from tonight's game...

We spoke to a Preston fan on the bridge and he said "nah, Derby deserved to win, we didn't create anything". 

They were nowhere near the best team, although their possession passing was pretty decent.

2 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Can agree to an extent that we looked poor, but that says more about their performance than it did ours. We were well below our best and were comfortable throughout apart from a 10 minute period in the first half and the final 5 minutes of injury time. All I can remember Carson having to do was catch a few crosses and tip over Robinson's early free kick.

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

We spoke to a Preston fan on the bridge and he said "nah, Derby deserved to win, we didn't create anything". 

They were nowhere near the best team, although their possession passing was pretty decent.

I'd agree with that. I thought they were quite tidy in spells but I was never worried that they'd beat us. We looked in control for most of the game. 

Archived