Derby County v Preston North End

Mafiabob

Not saying it was a fantastic performance just a huge improvement from Saturday 

Formation suited, moved the ball quicker, loads more energy and looked more dangerous going forward

Small steps but at least the steps are going forward 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing what a goal can do...

Perhaps puts into perspective too,the difference between playing a normal.championship team(Preston) and two better teams(wolves and Sunderland)

We probably are neither as good or as bad as some more extreme posters believe.. 

Certainly 4321 seems the way to go with our current steady midfield......

Some good link up play from the forward players in spells and the amount of chances we created is encouraging.

Keogh is yet again proving to be the better player in a CB pairing, Davies isn't a ball playing CB is he.

It will be interesting to see who Lawrence replaces and it could be an interesting end to the transfer window if Martin stays on the bench as Nugent brings some much needed tempo to the team.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Amazing what a goal can do...

Perhaps puts into perspective too,the difference between playing a normal.championship team(Preston) and two better teams(wolves and Sunderland)

We probably are neither as good or as bad as some more extreme posters believe.. 

Certainly 4321 seems the way to go with our current steady midfield......

The only orthodox box to box central midfield player we have is bryson.

huddlestone, johnson and butterfield play deep and don't press thus conceeding possession.

russell plays wide. Weimann and vydra are central strikers being deployed in advanced attacking midfield positions. These three are usually ahead of the ball.

so  yes....the 433 suited thorne, bryson, hendrick and hughes.

the 4231 better suits the slightly strange mixed bag we have now.

P.s. interesting how vydra - alot of peoples scape goat last year - is now the best thing since sliced bread. Playing exactly the same :lol:

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

First 15 mins of each half we played football and looked like a half decent team and then the long ball syndrome kicked in.

I know it's Rowetts philosophy but it's painful to watch.

Totally agree. Whatever happened to that intelligent beautiful short passing - pass and move - game.

this is football for thicko's.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

Some good link up play from the forward players in spells and the amount of chances we created is encouraging.

Keogh is yet again proving to be the better player in a CB pairing, Davies isn't a ball playing CB is he.

It will be interesting to see who Lawrence replaces and it could be an interesting end to the transfer window if Martin stays on the bench as Nugent brings some much needed tempo to the team.

I expect Lawrence to replace Russell 

Not a bad game last night, we weren't brilliant but it was an improvement over the Wolves performance. GR finally changed his line up, Wisdom Vydra and Weimann all were outstanding for me, and Keogh silenced his doubters . Sometimes you have to mix it up abit to get results and once or twice we reverted to the long ball, but it worked for us last night.

Small steps in the right direction.....

Same starting line up GR on Saturday, please!

The criticism of Martin for not winning all the long balls punted to him at the end is a bit unfair.  Everybody knows that isn't a strength of his game.  Can't see the point of bringing him on if that is going to be a tactic.  Also, there was never a player within a mile of him to pick up any second balls or support him if he had got hold of it.  

I too was not as enamoured of the performance as many seem to be.  Much better than Saturday, but still a long way to go. 

Really pleased vydra is being seen in a different light , I've been consistent in my view that he is a very good player at this level and given game time will be a good signing ,, any time I've seen him play for us I've thought he showed real promise whilst lots of others slated him to the point where I wondered if we were watching the same player ,, his pace and intelligence will push teams back and he chases defenders down ,, he will score too when playing regularly 

PistoldPete2

Well it's good t get off the mark with Lawrence to add but I don't think we will get away without boosting our midfield . The balance just isn't right Imo 

A lot better last night, Russell & Weimann did a better job on the wing backs. Carson was there when we needed him, Wisdom was solid, Keogh had a good game, slight worry over Davies at the moment but I think we is still finding his feet. From what I have seen and I know Fozzy is still being brought back slowly I would keep Olsen at left back. Hudders and Bradders linked up well, Russell 1st 40 mins crap, but seemed to gain a bit of confidence and played "well" from the 40 min mark till getting subbed. I can see him getting replaced for Lawrence. Nugent not a bad night but not the best either, missed two great chances which if it was Martin would of criticised for. Vids was superb, looked busy, linked up well with the three attacking players around him. Weimann my MOTM, never stopped running chased everything down.

Looking ahead I would keep the same system, depending who you are up against have either play Nugent or Martin up top.    

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Much better tonight in terms of effort and application and should have won at least 3-0 it was nice to see Vydra start and he will do well with Nugent or Martin as they are three very clever players, good decision to rest Forsyth as I think he will start against a very tall side in Bolton on Saturday 

I have been a harsh critic of Olsson but he was excellent last night and should start on Saturday.

Seen a Derby fan moan on FaceBook that we had no possession hardly. Need to have more..

Jesus has he been asleep? Rowett said himself that it's what you do with the ball. Tonight we looked much better making decisions etc. Amount of times we've had 65%+ possession and ended up losing / doing f*** all with it.

Thin Butterfield adds around 20% possession when ever he plays..

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I have been a harsh critic of Olsson but he was excellent last night and should start on Saturday.

Same here. The thing is he can't defend but he's great at attacking. Rowett said after the game he wanted Olsson to get forward and that's what he's good at. Bit like Christie really. 

Least he got cover tonight Forysth got 0% help last game.

The second half was much improved. Wisdom looked a class above most players on the pitch, best game in a while from Olsson, Weimann ran his socks off, Nugent was a constant threat,  big Tom sprayed some quality balls about, Keogh was solid, Carson had little to do, Vydra and Russell had better second halves, Johnson was quiet and Davies did his job.

Russell was poor in first half so I think he is the one likely to lose his place to Lawrence.

Archived