Derby County v Preston North End

Mafiabob

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisdom oozes class, could watch him and Huddlestone on the ball all day long. Keogh looks a lot more confident with those two there. Wisdom could be the buy of the season in this league.

Glad Russell got into the game, the tension around the ground in the first 20 minutes when he was on the ball was unbearable. People waiting to get on at him before he's even done anything. How can anyone play football with that? Took a few challenges and starting taking people on and looked better for it. Hope he finds his form and proves people wrong.

Love Weimann, seems a bit more mature than he's been in the past. Got a bit of quality about him.

Vydra starting to look like the player we wanted? Helped us play in their half, also gave Johnson more room to play his game.

Nugent played well, but if Martin had missed those two chances a few on here would be gleefully kicking the boot in sadly. Needed to smash it, but he will know that.

Only real question mark was on Davies, thought he looked unsure. Sure he will grow.

Starting to look like we have a few options, also little partnerships are beginning to show around the pitch. I know we all like a little meltdown but it's gonna take time for us to gel.

Finally, how is it not in the rules that if you go down for a head injury, stop the game and then tell the ref you don't need a trainer that is not a booking? Sorry, not to undermine head injuries myself but Preston got away with doing that a couple of times tonight and it takes away from when serious head injuries occur.

18 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Just had a sneaky peek on one of the Preston forums. Some of their fans reckon we look a poor side, that a draw would have been a fair result (with a few claiming they were the better team) and that they will finish above us this season. 

Don't get me wrong, they are far from the worst side I've seen at Pride Park and I don't think they'll struggle, but that was not what I took from tonight's game...

If your tactics are to stop the other team and not even have a credible shot in open play, you don't deserve to win

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Glad Russell got into the game, the tension around the ground in the first 20 minutes when he was on the ball was unbearable. People waiting to get on at him before he's even done anything. How can anyone play football with that? Took a few challenges and starting taking people on and looked better for it. Hope he finds his form and proves people wrong.

Spot on and I bloody hope he shut the idiots during the season tbh.

Much better tonight in terms of effort and application and should have won at least 3-0 it was nice to see Vydra start and he will do well with Nugent or Martin as they are three very clever players, good decision to rest Forsyth as I think he will start against a very tall side in Bolton on Saturday 

28 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

That game should pretty much have sorted the starting 11 now (apart from the striker spot) and it's up to the others to break their way in.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson

Huddlestone Johnson

Weimann Vydra Lawrence

Martin/Nugent

I just hope Weimann will still be as effective as he was today when moved over to the right.

The majority of that defense and holding mids look very powerful, bit of a brick wall!

Really enjoyed the game of football tonight. I knew it wasn't going to be a walk over tonight as Preston are well drilled and have some decent players. Anyway onto the important part us. What a difference three days make. 

Good to see that Rowett realised we didn't look comfortable in the 4 3 3 at home and addressed it quickly. 

Stand out performances tonight for me were Weimann , thought he was terrific. Vydra , made the difference in the whole and am expecting a really good season from him. Ollson, big fan of Ollson and nice to see good competition at left back. Finally Keogh , seems to have stepped up another level with his new centre back partner. 

If there was a negative to take from tonight it would be Russell's first half performance and he really needs to up his game with the new arrival. Davies is looking a bit nervous but I'm sure he will come through it shining. 

3 points on Saturday and we will be flying again. COYR

Just back from the pub(s).

Ahem.

Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

GETTHEPHUCKYNYOUPHUCKYNBEAUTY

The season is off and running. That is all.

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

The majority of that defense and holding mids look very powerful, bit of a brick wall!

Huddlestone and Johnson looked great together tonight in front of that back 4. Johnson's passing was actually quite good as well, which was a pleasant surprise. Davies was shaky on occasions but he won the penalty for the winning goal and when we were under the cosh towards the end he dealt with every long ball. And Keogh was, well, Keogh, he's just brilliant. 

My only worry is that against the top teams we could get a bit overrun in midfield because all 4 of the attackers are constantly closing down the defence leaving Johnson, Huddlestone and the full backs a little exposed.

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Wisdom oozes class, could watch him and Huddlestone on the ball all day long. Keogh looks a lot more confident with those two there. Wisdom could be the buy of the season in this league.

Love Weimann, seems a bit more mature than he's been in the past. Got a bit of quality about him.

Vydra starting to look like the player we wanted? Helped us play in their half, also gave Johnson more room to play his game.

Nugent played well, but if Martin had missed those two chances a few on here would be gleefully kicking the boot in sadly. Needed to smash it, but he will know that.

Only real question mark was on Davies, thought he looked unsure. Sure he will grow.

Starting to look like we have a few options, also little partnerships are beginning to show around the pitch. I know we all like a little meltdown but it's gonna take time for us to gel.

Finally, how is it not in the rules that if you go down for a head injury, stop the game and then tell the ref you don't need a trainer that is not a booking? Sorry, not to undermine head injuries myself but Preston got away with doing that a couple of times tonight and it takes away from when serious head injuries occur.

I thought Wisdom was a contender for MOTM tonight. He is a cut above at this level. Willing to tell his team mates if he thinks they are not doing what they should be as well, which is something have lacked on the pitch in recent seasons... 

Marcus Ollson baby 

Fair play coming in and a solid performance 

Still thinks he offers so much more than Fozzy  (just my opinion and not hating)

Much better all over the pitch Loz in for Jonny on Saturday and build on tonight

You Ramssss

Right. I've sat down and calmed down a bit.

We properly deserved to win. Could and should have had 3 goals. How they didn't equalise in injury time is just luck with the goalmouth scramble but it would have been harsh.

Weimann (I think - help me out folks?) should have scored inside 2 minutes from the wing with no keeper in. He's a pro. Surely that's an 8/10 chance? However, he had is best game for a long, long while. Busy, involved, desperate to keep a shirt now Lawrence is here?

Russell. I love Johnny and despair for him at the same time with his lack of delivery. Best game of the season so far. Again involved, dangerous, could (should?) have had and deserves a goal...desperate to keep a shirt now Lawrence is here?

Back 4 well deserved clean sheet, with honourable mentions for; Wisdom who looked the player we hoped he'd be for the first time; Keogh, who was again magnificent (haters, basically, just have a word with yourself), and Olsson, who looked like a player with a point to prove and deserves to keep the shirt over the superior but so far not showing it Fozzy.

I'm still not 100% sold on Davis, but he did the business tonight. I was expecting to see dominance a this level and I haven't yet...but it was a good display tonight,

Tom Huddlestone. MoM by an absolute mile. Class. That is all.

Bradley Johnson, much better, got caught stupidly late on but otherwise knitted it together and played within is limitations.

Nugent gave the stand out centre forward display of the early season and keeps the shirt....but how did he miss when Johnny, (I think, if so suck that up you haters)...laid it on  plate for him? Likewise Vydra, who was everything we've been lacking in skill, drive and beating players and looking to create.

Carson solid.

Bennett as sub grafted as expected as did Bryson who played well. Chris Martin gave his all and linked  a couple of bits up nicely, but to be honest (and I'm his biggest fan) he suffered by comparison to Nuge tonight basically on mobility and ...oddly....winning ball in the air grounds. Interesting.

Now the only whinge is that after we scored we seemed to back off and s**** ourselves. We gave Preston a foothold they didn't deserve and nearly paid for it. Confidence. That will come. Can we have some more quality now please Mel, because we are't a million miles of, but we aren't there yet.

On the radio and from the few posts i've read on here, others seem more impressed with the performance than i was.

For me it was still a bit scrappy. too many long balls and overhit crosses.

but a win is a win.

Solid performance and solid result. Nice to see some strong performances and combos around the pitch.

Struggling to understand the negative/doubting views on Davies - I think he's a class 'no frills' centre half who gets on with his job in a calm and assured manner (similar to Carson in goal) and think it's no coincidence that Keogh's performances have been excellent with the reassurance of having Davies and Wisdom either side of him. 

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

On the radio and from the few posts i've read on here, others seem more impressed with the performance than i was.

For me it was still a bit scrappy. too many long balls and overhit crosses.

but a win is a win.

I wouldn't go over the top about tonight, but there were enough signs of life to think we'll get somewhere. 

Which is more than could be said 12 months ago.

Archived