Sam Field

admira

West Brom reject five loan offers for promising teenager Sam Field.

Albion have been forced to reject several offers from lower-league clubs to take promising midfielder Sam Field on loan.

Norwich City, Derby County, Barnsley, Sheffield United, and MK Dons have all shown interest in taking the 19-year-old midfielder for the season.

Tony Pulis is eager to get Field regular first-team football but the Baggies have not yet replaced departed skipper Darren Fletcher in central midfield, and so the Welshman has reluctantly said no to all offers so far.

Some of the disappointed clubs have since taken their loan deals off the table.

The England youth team player made nine first-team appearances last season, and is now Pulis's third-choice central midfielder behind Jake Livermore and Claudio Yacob.

Although Chris Brunt and James Morrison can also play in central midfield, Morrison is returning from injury and Brunt is often needed either on the wing or at full-back.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/08/08/west-brom-reject-five-loan-offers-for-promising-teenager-sam-field/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, admira said:

West Brom reject five loan offers for promising teenager Sam Field.

Albion have been forced to reject several offers from lower-league clubs to take promising midfielder Sam Field on loan.

Norwich City, Derby County, Barnsley, Sheffield United, and MK Dons have all shown interest in taking the 19-year-old midfielder for the season.

Tony Pulis is eager to get Field regular first-team football but the Baggies have not yet replaced departed skipper Darren Fletcher in central midfield, and so the Welshman has reluctantly said no to all offers so far.

Some of the disappointed clubs have since taken their loan deals off the table.

The England youth team player made nine first-team appearances last season, and is now Pulis's third-choice central midfielder behind Jake Livermore and Claudio Yacob.

Although Chris Brunt and James Morrison can also play in central midfield, Morrison is returning from injury and Brunt is often needed either on the wing or at full-back.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/08/08/west-brom-reject-five-loan-offers-for-promising-teenager-sam-field/

We've been here before with young inexperienced Premiership players haven't we? I'd rather we tried our unproven teenagers before giving someone else's a go.

1 minute ago, ShoreRam said:

We've been here before with young inexperienced Premiership players haven't we? I'd rather we tried our unproven teenagers before giving someone else's a go.

Yes , sadly the nature of life in the Championship is that unless you are a pretty robust individual with a strong work ethic, you will get trampled in the rush.

It happened with De Sart and will happen with others. It's a steep learning curve and few managers have the patience to wait.

I am not sure whether it's scattergun journalism or scattergun scouting but it seems our resources are being spread far and wide at the moment without reaping rewards.

It will be nice to see the word 'signed' against one of the names we are being linked with.

I also think it will be good to lose a couple just so we have a clearer picture of our intended squad and so those who are on the bench have a realistic chance of making the first team rather than being one of twenty. 

14 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

I know what you mean, look at some of the young players that we have loaned that were garbage, Thorne, Osman, Ince, Bamford, Ibe, Lingard....

28 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Much rather Elsnick and Guy are given a go

Elsnik has so much potential I'd hate to see his path blocked by a loan youngster. I already think he may be able to offer more than others, and I'd like to see him getting minutes from the bench and eventually for him to become first choice for a good few years

It does take a certain kind of youngster to play in this division though, especially in central midfield. Need to be properly built and not likely to get bullied. Ideally what we need is someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and control the slightly advanced midfield areas, not things you'd associate youth with. 

Unless we can get a real talent, I'd prefer someone a) we could own permanently, and b) early to mid 20s with a bit of experience.

Archived