The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

We were fortunate with that shot that came back off the post in stoppage time and I didn't think it was going to happen tonight for Zanzala but it did and I'm well pleased for him. ?  

THEY were fortunate that we didn't BATTER them!

2 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I dipped in and out of the game to be fair, didn't see too much wrong with our goal that was disallowed, maybe I should take my black & white tinted glasses off mind. 

Agree thought Jakobson (sp) was v unlucky.

Mason bennet missed 2 sitters. One on one with the keeper and a free header in the box. Aside from that he was excellent. First touch was brilliant and totally bossed it. Pity the end product was lacking.

luke Thomas looked good when he came on, elsnick was great in midfield. Not one bad performance tonight. Gordon has a great cross on him too

Went down to have a look at them tonight. How Sunderland got out 2-0 is a mystery. That they might have nicked a draw would have been robbery. We were so much the better side it was unreal. Mason Bennett could have had a hat-trick. Clean through once in acres, good headed chance too, a few other bits and pieces he might have made more of. Felt for him but he needs to deliver.

Jacobsen's goal I couldn't really moan about being chalked off, but I've seen them given.

Zanzala could have had one or two before he scored.

Impressed with Alex Babos, who looked very composed and technically sound on the ball. The centre halves did well, and especially first half Kellan Gordon gave their fullback nightmares running in behind him. 

Tim Elsnik stood out, and I liked the left midfielder lad who came on, Luke Thomas I think it was. 

Big plus was that Fozzy really grew into it. Looked like he owned the whole left flank in front of us last 15 minutes.

One snippet...I think Simon Clough and Kevin Poole were there. Burton scouting someone...Mason Bennett? If the talk of Irvine to Hull is right they might be in for Elsnik?

1 minute ago, rustylee said:

What's happened to Vernam? I was always impressed with him when I've seen him play do we still have Rawson?

I don't know about Rawson but Vernam is injured. Saw him at St George's Park but didn’t spot him tonight.

An entertaining match and great to see Thorne, Fozzy and Zanzala working their way back to fitness. 

I really enjoy the way the under 23s play their football. 

1 hour ago, needles said:

Went down to have a look at them tonight. How Sunderland got out 2-0 is a mystery. That they might have nicked a draw would have been robbery. We were so much the better side it was unreal. Mason Bennett could have had a hat-trick. Clean through once in acres, good headed chance too, a few other bits and pieces he might have made more of. Felt for him but he needs to deliver.

Jacobsen's goal I couldn't really moan about being chalked off, but I've seen them given.

Zanzala could have had one or two before he scored.

Impressed with Alex Babos, who looked very composed and technically sound on the ball. The centre halves did well, and especially first half Kellan Gordon gave their fullback nightmares running in behind him. 

Tim Elsnik stood out, and I liked the left midfielder lad who came on, Luke Thomas I think it was. 

Big plus was that Fozzy really grew into it. Looked like he owned the whole left flank in front of us last 15 minutes.

One snippet...I think Simon Clough and Kevin Poole were there. Burton scouting someone...Mason Bennett? If the talk of Irvine to Hull is right they might be in for Elsnik?

Ivan Calero's loan move didn't really prove fruitful at Burton. Clough seems to have a nak of bringing players through though.

Went last night and was able to take the little ones (6 & 3) to their first games. Great game and a nice atmosphere (nobody complaining or using abusive language to our own players is always a good start).  I think it's a brilliant gesture from the club making these games free to attend and view on RamsTV.  Thanks Mel, you're a top man.

On the game it was great to see George back.  He wasn't 100% but even so he bossed the midfield with TME.  To put that into context Rodwell who has been transferred twice for in excess of 10 million quid played in their midfield was rendered into virtual anonymity.  I'd have no problem seeing that pairing in certain Championship games this season.

I also remain convinced Mason Bennett has a part to play this season.  I don't think he's been properly fit over the last couple of years but he is now and I think we can reap the benefits.  He just seems capable of doing things that say Weimann wouldn't be able to do (and I'm not anti-Weimann by any stretch), for instance the headed flick on to himself in the second half.

I also thought Alex Cover at centre back was a class above and I look forward to seeing more of him and Luke Thomas ran amok when he came on.  Both have bright futures.

Last honourable mention to Fozzy who bossed it on the left, but thought everyone had at least a decent game.

Finally no idea why the Jakobsen goal was disallowed.

32 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Finally no idea why the Jakobsen goal was disallowed

Very minor nudge, 8 times out of 10 the goal would have stood.

I was only watching on rams tv, but Alex Cover's body shape, mannerism and general play didn't half remind me of Keogh from a distance!

37 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Went last night and was able to take the little ones (6 & 3) to their first games. Great game and a nice atmosphere (nobody complaining or using abusive language to our own players is always a good start).  I think it's a brilliant gesture from the club making these games free to attend and view on RamsTV.  Thanks Mel, you're a top man.

On the game it was great to see George back.  He wasn't 100% but even so he bossed the midfield with TME.  To put that into context Rodwell who has been transferred twice for in excess of 10 million quid played in their midfield was rendered into virtual anonymity.  I'd have no problem seeing that pairing in certain Championship games this season.

I also remain convinced Mason Bennett has a part to play this season.  I don't think he's been properly fit over the last couple of years but he is now and I think we can reap the benefits.  He just seems capable of doing things that say Weimann wouldn't be able to do (and I'm not anti-Weimann by any stretch), for instance the headed flick on to himself in the second half.

I also thought Alex Cover at centre back was a class above and I look forward to seeing more of him and Luke Thomas ran amok when he came on.  Both have bright futures.

Last honourable mention to Fozzy who bossed it on the left, but thought everyone had at least a decent game.

Mason gets into good positions but lack poise and subtlety. He simply points himself at goal and shoots. He doesn't manoeuvre the ball to get a clear shot in or gain a better angle in a 1 on 1. Time and time again he has shots blocked because of this.

He needs to go and play regularly at a lower level to hone his craft before having a chance in the championship.

52 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Rodwell also has a premier league winners medal :o When they brought on Bale (1st sub) they pushed Rodwell further forward to try and sit on George, and he still found time and space with ease.

53 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Agree with @sage just a little more composure and he would have taken home the match ball last night.

53 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Put some very good low crosses in, great to see.

57 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Shoved the defender out of the way to make space for himself.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Rodwell also has a premier league winners medal :o When they brought on Bale (1st sub) they pushed Rodwell further forward to try and sit on George, and he still found time and space with ease.

Agree with @sage just a little more composure and he would have taken home the match ball last night.

Put some very good low crosses in, great to see.

Shoved the defender out of the way to make space for himself.

But only because the defender was backing into him.

15 hours ago, angieram said:

I don't know about Rawson but Vernam is injured. Saw him at St George's Park but didn’t spot him tonight.

An entertaining match and great to see Thorne, Fozzy and Zanzala working their way back to fitness. 

I really enjoy the way the under 23s play their football. 

If only we hadn't hounded out the guy responsible for the way they play when he had his chance haha

Archived