The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well , I don't know who the 'we' is you refer to but it never included me! 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

According to Jonno on commentary we've got the U23s etc playing the same as the 1st team.

Was tongue in cheek guys. 

Do agree they're good to watch. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Callum Guy is a battling midfielder,  strong and with a great free kick. 

Charlie Vernam was a striker but I think been playing in an advanced midfield role more recently. Scored a lot of goals the season the under 21s went up to PL2.

Haha, should have checked the official website first - Vernam listed as a forward still. Worth checking out the player profiles in the Under 23s section - quite a lot of useful information on there.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Callum Guy is a battling midfielder,  strong and with a great free kick. 

Charlie Vernam was a striker but I think been playing in an advanced midfield role more recently. Scored a lot of goals the season the under 21s went up to PL2.

Haha, should have checked the official website first - Vernam listed as a forward still. Worth checking out the player profiles in the Under 23s section - quite a lot of useful information on there.

Vernam had been playing a similar role to what Vydra has recently, hadn't he? I am sure that is where he featured in the few games he got for Cov and in Iceland. 

Just now, rynny said:

Vernam had been playing a similar role to what Vydra has recently, hadn't he? I am sure that is where he featured in the few games he got for Cov and in Iceland. 

You're probably right and he has been injured a while so not seen much of him lately. Would make sense with me thinking he was a midfielder - all I knew he was further back than he used to be! 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What's his position and how good is he? :) Edit: that applies to Callum Guy too. #seenneither

Only really saw Callum Guy in a full game in that pre season tournament under Pearson,and was quite impressed.I reckon the seniors' midfield is missing a 'hearbeat' and Guy would certainly provide that,if able to step up successfully. Likes a tackle,seems able to find pockets of space (indicating good movement) and seems to use the ball quickly and well.Got a good long range shot on him (which I saw from previous match clips),but not sure I'd let him anywhere near pennos!

Tbh,I'd be a tad disappointed if he were sent out on loan again.

Vernam played mostly as a striker on at ÍBV last summer, i followed the local reports, they liked him, quick, technical and with a good shot but too easily knocked off the ball and from what i can gather he did not enjoy his time on the small island playing among men instead of boys.  That makes me think the trip did him good and helped him identify which side of his game he needs to improve.  i've seen Vernam play a few games and i really rate him and see him more as a striker than an attacking midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...

Be interesting to see who makes the team and squad line up for tonights U23 match. If anyone is likely to be in the line up for Barnsley tomorrow they probably wouldn't be risked in this match. Fringe squad players like Bennett are in line to feature tomorrow, Guy might also feature. 16 year old Max Bird might end up playing against Barnsley.

Definitely gonna be more  U18 players pushed into the mix. U23's have also been weakened by the loan departures of Rawson, Elsnik and Gordon. 

1 hour ago, Stimacked said:

Be interesting to see who makes the team and squad line up for tonights U23 match. If anyone is likely to be in the line up for Barnsley tomorrow they probably wouldn't be risked in this match. Fringe squad players like Bennett are in line to feature tomorrow, Guy might also feature. 16 year old Max Bird might end up playing against Barnsley.

Definitely gonna be more  U18 players pushed into the mix. U23's have also been weakened by the loan departures of Rawson, Elsnik and Gordon. 

Yum,yum feast of football for YT. Though I've called for Callum to be given a chance,bit worried about tmw night,even if it's only 20 mins.He's bound to want to impress,but with no prior match action behind him? I fear hamstrings.

23 hours ago, David said:

Sounds like McAllister has picked up another injury?

Almost forgotten about this lad.Probably why Gordon was allowed out,to fit him in.

Archived