The 2017/18 Academy Thread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bird's pass for the goal was sublime.  Shame he had to go off, but he was already having a very good game, very impressed with him.  The whole team is looking strong, Zanzala is an animal, i love him, still very raw, but what an exciting prospect

A decent performance against a strong Arsenal side (for the level). They'll be disappointed to have thrown away a 2 goal lead, for sure, but the game could easily have finished 6-6!
Created plenty of chances going forward, and showed some nice interplay at times. Looked shaky at the back when Arsenal really pressed on in the 2nd half, but playing this standard of team on a regular basis will stand the boys in good stead.

Individually, the 2 standouts were Bird and Elsnik. 
Bird looked controlled and his run/pass for the first goal was excellent.
Elsnik just looks calm and assured in everything he does. Summed up for me when, amongst panic in defence, he simply steps in, puts his foot in the ball, and finds the outlet for the clearance. Must be knocking hard on the door of the first team squad?  I, personally, would start him against Grimsby.

On others...
Easy to see the raw talent of Zanzala. Power and pace to burn. Still a little naive and rushed at times, and probably not yet ready for the first team. Worth having him around the squad on match days though where possible.
Luke Thomas looks a good prospect. Energetic and happy to run at the opposition. Be interesting to see how he develops.
Jakobsen's hold-up/link play was good at times. Took his goal well.

43 minutes ago, John Doe said:

A decent performance against a strong Arsenal side (for the level). They'll be disappointed to have thrown away a 2 goal lead, for sure, but the game could easily have finished 6-6!
Created plenty of chances going forward, and showed some nice interplay at times. Looked shaky at the back when Arsenal really pressed on in the 2nd half, but playing this standard of team on a regular basis will stand the boys in good stead.

Individually, the 2 standouts were Bird and Elsnik. 
Bird looked controlled and his run/pass for the first goal was excellent.
Elsnik just looks calm and assured in everything he does. Summed up for me when, amongst panic in defence, he simply steps in, puts his foot in the ball, and finds the outlet for the clearance. Must be knocking hard on the door of the first team squad?  I, personally, would start him against Grimsby.

On others...
Easy to see the raw talent of Zanzala. Power and pace to burn. Still a little naive and rushed at times, and probably not yet ready for the first team. Worth having him around the squad on match days though where possible.
Luke Thomas looks a good prospect. Energetic and happy to run at the opposition. Be interesting to see how he develops.
Jakobsen's hold-up/link play was good at times. Took his goal well.

I think Bird looked good. I'm starting to be a bit undecided about Elsnick, he looked good at times but didn't seem to impress himself on the game enough?

You missed out Gordan who scored and had a good half, hope he gets a chance.

Zanzala doesn't (yet) make the right decisions.

Archived