Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Has the objective of equipping ourselves for promotion and then survival now been replaced?  Genuine question as clearly, whilst high quality loans will help the short term promotion, they won't help us build for survival. 

And you think Bennett would help us survive in the prem?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Has the objective of equipping ourselves for promotion and then survival now been replaced?  Genuine question as clearly, whilst high quality loans will help the short term promotion, they won't help us build for survival. 

we'd probably get Ojo back the next year as the next stage in his development, or a permanent.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

The build for survival would begin next summer. I don't really see the reasoning behind building up a squad for promotion over the course of many seasons these days. There's no point, not when the financial gains of just one year in the top flight are so great.

Look at Huddersfield Town. They won't be complaining that they didn't achieve promotion by improving season after season. They'll thank their lucky stars they're up there, and do their very best to stay put.

Bournemouth were promoted after as arguably a surprise package. Nobody saw their promotion year coming. And they haven't looked back. They haven't needed to either, as they've been run properly, have a great head coach, and make smart moves in the transfer market.

Bournemouth should probably be a sort of role model for us. Quite a high proportion of their promotion team stayed with them first season in the premises,  and improved. 

9 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

we'd probably get Ojo back the next year as the next stage in his development, or a permanent.

Exactly this. Or get someone even better as more doors will be open for higher quality loans or we would have the funds to buy permanents.

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not as is, no. But he's not going to improve without first team coaching and appearances. Nor will any of the rest of them.

Overall i agree with that statement. But sometimes you have to accept that a certain player may never be good enough for a certain level.

For me...bennett falls into that category. I dont think hes a bad player. But from what ive seen he isnt going to help guide us to the prem. Hes 21 now and hasnt really shown any signs of being premiership quality. 

By theway....im not 100% sure ojo would be a much better option

Find it odd how, after looking okay in preseason (which I'd suggest isn't too tricky given the competition in his position) Bennett is now being considered as as good as Ojo. Not saying Bennett is useless, but Ojo really is a class above from the bits and bobs I've seen of him in a Liverpool shirt. Ojo has been near their team at times, I think anyone who thinks Bennett would get near Liverpool's team is deluded. 

I'd like Bennett to stay at the club and develop, but I'd prioritise getting a quality winger in and starting. Ojo or Kent would be ideal, wouldn't have to pay 7 million for a start. Off the bench or out on loan really should be Bennett's limit this season if we're serious about challenging top 6.

Of the players we have been linked with I would say Ojo is the  least impressive.

Kent is trickier, Lawrence more versatile and prolific and Maddison more creative.

Ojo to me flatters to deceive.

No part of his game is quite developed.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Of the players we have been linked with I would say Ojo is the  least impressive.

Kent is trickier, Lawrence more versatile and prolific and Maddison more creative.

Ojo to me flatters to deceive.

No part of his game is quite developed.

I think the same assessment could have been made about Ibe when he arrived. Took time to settle with us then got hauled off back to Liverpool just when he was finding some form.

For me, from what little I've seen from both players, I'd go for Kent before Ojo.

My Liverpool fan mate says he's the spitting image of Ibe in terms of the way he plays the game. We've been crying out for someone to run directly at player (albeit only in pre-season) and that injection of pace. This would be a ridiculously astute signing to add to what we've got this season.

26 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

My Liverpool fan mate says he's the spitting image of Ibe in terms of the way he plays the game. We've been crying out for someone to run directly at player (albeit only in pre-season) and that injection of pace. This would be a ridiculously astute signing to add to what we've got this season.

Thats what I got told too but my mate said he is better than what Ibe was when he joined us and also has a better end product than Ibe

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Zans hasn't had a sniff pre season has he?

Nope. Just the sessions before Tenerife. He's destroying everything put in front of him ... as usual ... but if Rowett wants to stick with what he's got then it will just take longer for him to strut his stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Andre Wisdom here. Jordan Ibe giving us a recommendation. I wouldn't rule us out! 

Good point. If Ibe & Ojo are mates then it could impact his decision.

I'd say when he joined us, Ibe wasn't in too dissimilar a position than the one Ojo currently finds himself. Half a season with Derby and Ibe was recalled, playing in the Merseyside derby and being touted for an England call-up by the media. Okay, he didn't fulfil that, but the hype was certainly there for a short while. Ojo might want to try and replicate that.

I'm happy for us to get Ojo but as long as he isn't our main winger. We still need to sign a first name on the team sheet winger, which is what Lawrence would have been, and still could be. We then have Ojo, Weimann and Russell battling for the second spot with the two who miss out being good Championship replacements. 

If we get Lawrence and had our wide options as Lawrence, Ojo, Weimann and Russell then I think that's good enough to hopefully get us in and around the top six.

3 hours ago, philmycock said:

I'd prefer to see Bennett star for us, starting Friday ahead of Weimann

Interesting , most people I have seen , assumme playing Bennett in place of Weimann , and yet when he has come on has he not played on the right , so would assumme Russell would make way ?

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Good point. If Ibe & Ojo are mates then it could impact his decision.

I'd say when he joined us, Ibe wasn't in too dissimilar a position than the one Ojo currently finds himself. Half a season with Derby and Ibe was recalled, playing in the Merseyside derby and being touted for an England call-up by the media. Okay, he didn't fulfil that, but the hype was certainly there for a short while. Ojo might want to try and replicate that.

I'm happy for us to get Ojo but as long as he isn't our main winger. We still need to sign a first name on the team sheet winger, which is what Lawrence would have been, and still could be. We then have Ojo, Weimann and Russell battling for the second spot with the two who miss out being good Championship replacements. 

If we get Lawrence and had our wide options as Lawrence, Ojo, Weimann and Russell then I think that's good enough to hopefully get us in and around the top six.

Totally agree with all of this and, as I said earlier, I think Rowett will be looking to bring in an out-and-out winger, such as Ojo, as an addition to a creative winger/No.10 type (see Lawrence, Toral). 

Archived