Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

38 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Personally I'd rather have Leadbitter. 

I thought our midfield tore Huddlestone and Livermore apart two seasons ago in the 3/4 matches we played. 

He lacks any movement, for his size isn't that much of a force and pings hopefull balls around. 

He hasnr impressed me since his early 20s. 

True but who ended up in the Premier League? Nuff said 

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

It looks like this is going to,happen. A very good player in his day but it does give the lie to Rowett saying he wants young hungry players. Hud is not young and hes never looked likely to starve. 

Me too with the mixed feelings but only in terms of the age thing and struggling to sort out how much of the positive I feel about are that it's an ex Derby acadamy lad that was stolen from us coming back ,, what I will say is that it's looking very much like rowett has a clear plan and certainly you can see the squad balance taking shape and I don't see us looking like men against boys in the way we did at times when we were in good form ,,, wisdom , Davies , Huddleston bring some much needed physical presence allied with experience and know how and really think we will see a big improvement in terms of not wilting under pressure and conceding soft goals ,, so far so good , 

what will get me excited now is if it turns out gary IS looking to bring in a couple of proper wingers to replace our stock of through the middle forwards shoe horned into playing wide ,,,,, do that and you can see the balance improve and give us that ability to change things up in the way the squad rowett inherited was not capable of in terms of personnel 

5 minutes ago, archied said:

Me too with the mixed feelings but only in terms of the age thing and struggling to sort out how much of the positive I feel about are that it's an ex Derby acadamy lad that was stolen from us coming back ,, what I will say is that it's looking very much like rowett has a clear plan and certainly you can see the squad balance taking shape and I don't see us looking like men against boys in the way we did at times when we were in good form ,,, wisdom , Davies , Huddleston bring some much needed physical presence allied with experience and know how and really think we will see a big improvement in terms of not wilting under pressure and conceding soft goals ,, so far so good , 

what will get me excited now is if it turns out gary IS looking to bring in a couple of proper wingers to replace our stock of through the middle forwards shoe horned into playing wide ,,,,, do that and you can see the balance improve and give us that ability to change things up in the way the squad rowett inherited was not capable of in terms of personnel 

He's only 30. His game has never been built on pace. He can go on for years. Like Teddy Sheringham. Players who rely on pace are f****d when their pace goes in their 30s but those who have never had pace have to rely on other things - touch, passing etc, which doesn't leave them.

17 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He's only 30. His game has never been built on pace. He can go on for years. Like Teddy Sheringham. Players who rely on pace are f****d when their pace goes in their 30s but those who have never had pace have to rely on other things - touch, passing etc, which doesn't leave them.

It's only because I've not seen enough of him in recent years to make a call ,, some are saying he is in decline ,others say he s still a very good player,, I'm happy to trust rowett to have a role for him , there seems to be a real purpose in rowett recruitment as opposed to   The scattergun approach we have seen over the last few years 

48 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It looks like this is going to,happen. A very good player in his day but it does give the lie to Rowett saying he wants young hungry players. Hud is not young and hes never looked likely to starve. 

Don't get your sackcloth out yet! Wisdom is only 24 and Lawrence,if we get him is 23.It won't all happen overnight.All clubs are after young,hungry players and they don't come cheap! There'll be some more transfer activity soon but I'm not expecting Rowett to be happy with his squad until a couple of transfer windows have passed. 

Huddlestone has excellent pedigree with England caps, Champions League appearances, and a Premier League career spanning 12 years to his name. No question about that.

But I'm not sure he is the right player at the right time for us. It seems to me he would be an excellent signing if we were still managed by Clement, for example.

Where does he fit into the Rowett vision? Is he really a Rowett type of player? Is he mobile enough? Is he combative enough? Is he hardworking enough? Isn't he too mercurial?

Weren't we led to believe that we wanted young, hungry and battling players? Doesn't Rowett want us to be a team who presses from the front?

If Rowett couldn't find a place for Hughes in his team, isn't Huddlestone just as much of a luxury, if not more so?

This strikes me as one of those signings that will either be hit or miss - he is either going to be a runaway success and integral to everything we do well or another expensive addition who doesn't fit into the jigsaw. No middle ground, I feel.

I guess it depends on the other midfielders he plays alongside. It's an intriguing one.

3 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Fizzy

Thorne* Huddlestone

Russell Nugent Lawrence**

Martin

*Only if he's 100% fit otherwise Johnson in there. 

** Put Lawrence in there if he's join us. 

Look decent team yes or no?

No for me, apart from Russell (not that quick?) and Lawrence (may not get him) that team looks SLOOOOOW

3 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Fizzy

Thorne* Huddlestone

Russell Nugent Lawrence**

Martin

*Only if he's 100% fit otherwise Johnson in there. 

** Put Lawrence in there if he's join us. 

Look decent team yes or no?

Not sure we need two holding midfielders with this back four.

Would have  Butterfield between Russell and Lawrence and have Nugent alongside Martin

This season we have more chance of gettting the ball wide and finding two in the box.

You don't need express pace if you can pass accurately and finish.

Totally underwhelmed with this, I  hope it doesn't go through, it goes against everything GR said about building a young hungry team.  At this rate there will be the unmistakable stench of boiled cabbage & stale p***s about PP. 

3 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

Totally underwhelmed with this, I  hope it doesn't go through, it goes against everything GR said about building a young hungry team.  At this rate there will be the unmistakable stench of boiled cabbage & stale p***s about PP. 

Bloody hell hes only 30! Got 4-5 years left in him, never relied on pace. 

Also if we bring in 2 young attackers like Lawrence and Watkins/Jota/Madison then the average age will drop. Can't just buy loads of young uns, need an experienced spine

No strong feelings either way on this one. Helps us with Thorne's injury history, helps control a game, doesn't really change our identity as being easy to play against though as he's easily bypassed. 

Great signing if it comes off but I'm starting to worry about our distinct lack of pace throughout the side. 

A team like Brentford/Fulham would rip us to shreds at a canter.

Early days yet though and I'm sure Rowett will be looking at some pacy wide players (hopefully)

I'm very 50/50 on this one for basically the same reasons as a lot have already mentioned on here...if we do sign him surely that is the last 30+ year old we need in our squad....to me this will allow a couple more to leave as Huddlestone is actually quite decent at CB too if required and might mean we offload a couple of CBS....GR mentioned having a smaller squad and players who can play a few different positions so this kinda makes sense ...next two signings after this one though will tell me a lot....and I think they'll be big money stella signings ....

ps writing this whilst sitting by the pool in Thailand .?...always great to read all the comments on here ...even on holiday ??

Archived