Bradley Johnson

catram

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

If Norwich offered the £6m we paid for him, then take it and let him return. Don't take anything less however.

Norwich fans been tweeting me all morning saying they're in a similar situation to us and won't be able to afford Johnson this summer. They're bargain hunting and they won't get one from him. 

Ehh I disagree about £6M price tag. We over paid for him at the time, he's two years older now and he's not coming of the back of a storming season like when we bought him. I'd probably take about half that to move his wages off the book and bring in somebody more reliable on the ball.

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I have very fond memories of my old work places and often mention good things about them, good times and am still in contact with people from there - And have stated that at my current work - Not sure why footballers should be held to a different standard

Do you kiss your tie?

We've not seen the best of him yet. Further up the pitch is where he will cause havoc. With Thorne sitting in behind I can see him getting double figures. He got 3 goals last year and was a holding midfielder in a very confused season where we had 3 managers. Next season he will know his role , one he is comfortable with and that article will be long forgotten. 

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm a fan. Plenty still to come from him. Nothing wrong with that article at all, not sure what you'd want him to say?

The only thing from a fan perspective is just half a sentence saying ...'but I'm currently happy/settled/enjoying my football at Derby County'. Not saying it's necessary but it does help it read a little better (I would have thought it'd something most players would be taught in their media training).

So a few things could have happened:

a) Johnson did say something similar to above, but it's not in the article because the writer wanted to make it more interesting for the clickbait. If so, it's shoddy journalism whether your writing for a local rag or not.

b) Johnson is angling for a move, but surely there are better ways than talking about in the press? Like a phone call??

c) Johnson isn't the sharpest 

Personally I'd lean towards a) for now and say it's just shoddy journalism (with a little of c) put in the mix too). As previously mentioned, let's get him further up the pitch and start seeing the best of him, then we shall see which is the 'best side he's played in'

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Ehh I disagree about £6M price tag. We over paid for him at the time, he's two years older now and he's not coming of the back of a storming season like when we bought him. I'd probably take about half that to move his wages off the book and bring in somebody more reliable on the ball.

Accurate as usual Brady. Although I quite like him and think he might thrive with GR. 

I'd by happy to cut our losses on him and get rid, but we'd need a physical/nasty midfielder coming in to replace him which I'm sure is on Gary's wish list.

He is pretty terrible at passing most of the time and it'd be nice to no longer see him scoop the ball aimlessly towards the corner and think about the fact he was our record signing at the time. If it annoys me I can't help but wonder how Mel feels!

2 hours ago, jono said:

Accurate as usual Brady. Although I quite like him and think he might thrive with GR. 

I know I've been harping on about him lately but in a lot of ways I do like him and is an exciting player to watch; hes all full-blooded challenges, towering headers and thunderous challenges. But when I think about it rationally, his poor distribution has too big a detrimental effect on the rest of our play.

To put in context he had the 6th worse passing accuracy at the club last season at 70% which is frankly criminal for a cm. The 5 with worse were Carson, forsyth, Hanson, bent and nugent. 

Johnson was signed after a cracking year played wide left. He never really got a chance in that position, nor did he take it when he was given a chance in that position. I seem to remember Daz Waz allowing him to play there in his first game in charge, in which he was arguably the worst player on the pitch. 

We all respect different qualities when looking at footballers, which I understand completely. It just pains me to think we spent £6m on Johnson, when fundamentally he doesn't have that much quality as a footballer. He makes up for it in other ways, but as a footballer, apart from maybe Hanson, he is the worst CM in the squad. 

Assuming* he's on big wages, given he's our record transfer, he would be one of the first players I would look to move on this summer. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed, but given that we're told that we will be cutting the squad. If we lose the likes of Ince, Hughes & Keogh to keep the likes of Johnson & even Shackell. It begs the question are we going to be stronger or weaker come next season. 

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Johnson was signed after a cracking year played wide left. He never really got a chance in that position, nor did he take it when he was given a chance in that position. I seem to remember Daz Waz allowing him to play there in his first game in charge, in which he was arguably the worst player on the pitch. 

We all respect different qualities when looking at footballers, which I understand completely. It just pains me to think we spent £6m on Johnson, when fundamentally he doesn't have that much quality as a footballer. He makes up for it in other ways, but as a footballer, apart from maybe Hanson, he is the worst CM in the squad. 

Assuming* he's on big wages, given he's our record transfer, he would be one of the first players I would look to move on this summer. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed, but given that we're told that we will be cutting the squad. If we lose the likes of Ince, Hughes & Keogh to keep the likes of Johnson & even Shackell. It begs the question are we going to be stronger or weaker come next season. 

We lack physicality in midfield when Johnson isn't there, especially without a DM. 

I think he actually finished the season very well. If he were to move on, we'd have to improve the muscle in the midfield. Butterfield/Bryson/Hughes just seem to struggle when they play together 

Slightly off topic I know, but while we're discussing our central midfielders, are we all in agreement that, should Will Hughes leave, Jacob Butterfield could potentially become a much more important player for us? We'd get the best out of Butterfield if we sat him next to a proper defensive midfielder in a midfield two.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Wide left in a midfield 4 and up front in a front 3 are quite different. Johnson never showed the qualities needed to play in that position for us. I've practically banged my head against the wall every time someone on here suggested we play him in a front 3 because he played that position for Norwich (even though he never did). And this happened a lot. It confirmed my opinion that  I didn't want Wassall getting the job when he agreed with this idea.

It was my second most annoying team selection suggestion in the Clement/Wassall season after playing a diamond with Ince and Russell on the side of the diamond  (quite a lot of people seemed to like that idea too).

Archived