Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Why is it suddenly suggested that Will can't play twice a week?

he was always regarded as one the fittest players.

more BS

Maybe Pearson and Rowett didn't think he was putting the effort in training?

Hes not getting a start in the U21's either, I'm resigned to the thought it's better for both us and him that he moves on.

we could keep him and loose him on a free in a few years, can't see how that is good business.  I don't see a queue forming to sign him on the cheap either?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hes not getting a start in the U21's either, I'm resigned to the thought it's better for both us and him that he moves on.

we could keep him and loose him on a free in a few years, can't see how that is good business.  I don't see a queue forming to sign him on the cheap either?

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the next game with all the talk coming out of the U21 camp of saving the best for the end. 

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

There has never been an occasion when he didn't put the effort in. He is more physically lightweight than cart horses like Bradley Johnson but Rowett seems to like 'physical presence'. He had a bad injury which he came back from well but many players who have had that injury say it takes a couple of years to recover fully from. he wasn't fully fit for much of the last two seasons, but like klopp, mourinho and others, Rowett wants players to play through the pain barrier - which he did. inevitably he wasn't at his sparkling best.

MM said he wanted to build a team of academy graduates playing attractive football. This is a lad who can play; he is the jewell of the academy system,  and at 22 has many years ahead of him. 

He seems to be being sacrificed because he's not 6'4, plays for a manager who favours brute force, and we need to clear the debt associated with craap nigel Pearson signings. Is this the price of failing in fiduciary duties or whatever it was?

Whatever - it should be obvious to a blind man that this is a stupid error. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There has never been an occasion when he didn't put the effort in. He is more physically lightweight than cart horses like Bradley Johnson but Rowett seems to like 'physical presence'. He had a bad injury which he came back from well but many players who have had that injury say it takes a couple of years to recover fully from. he wasn't fully fit for much of the last two seasons, but like klopp, mourinho and others, Rowett wants players to play through the pain barrier - which he did. inevitably he wasn't at his sparkling best.

MM said he wanted to build a team of academy graduates playing attractive football. This is a lad who can play; he is the jewell of the academy system,  and at 22 has many years ahead of him. 

He seems to be being sacrificed because he's not 6'4, plays for a manager who favours brute force, and we need to clear the debt associated with craap nigel Pearson signings. Is this the price of failing in fiduciary duties or whatever it was?

"Selling off the family silver" springs to mind...

The days when players spent their entire careers at one club are well and truely over.

If Hughes was so good why havent we got a bidding wart going on as managers clamour for his services?How come he has to wait till the third group game(even then relying on an injury) The only offer we have had apart from Watford was Huddersfield wantuing him on loan? Yes he is an above average player but hes far from being a topmidfielder that you could create a team around

2 hours ago, ramit said:

The way Kevin Phillips talks about it, we are selling a recreational sports vehicle and on the lookout for a tractor 

Dont you be dissing tractors ,  i will have you know that certain sports cars shared the same engine ! ...............google it if you dont Believe me !    

35 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

The days when players spent their entire careers at one club are well and truely over.

If Hughes was so good why havent we got a bidding wart going on as managers clamour for his services?How come he has to wait till the third group game(even then relying on an injury) The only offer we have had apart from Watford was Huddersfield wantuing him on loan? Yes he is an above average player but hes far from being a topmidfielder that you could create a team around

Makes my blood boil

53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I do expect tht we will see more of the likes of Bennett, Guy, Lowe, Hanson, Rawson this coming season, especially with a few more outgoings.

Said previously that for the academy to work we need to be prepared, when the time is right, to sell our academy players on. This means the next generation can then progress and develop like Hughes got the chance to. As much as we won't like it sometimes it needs to a revolving door for it to work on the pitch and financially.

6 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Dont you be dissing tractors ,  i will have you know that certain sports cars shared the same engine ! ...............google it if you dont

Okay, a ballet dancer for an aging gorilla.  Better now?

Interesting how Jordon Ibe went for 15 million -  a player who's barely impressed with the exception of his loan spell here. He's only a year younger than Will also. How the heck did Liverpool mange to get that amount?

Also Lansbury, a couple of years older than Hughes with 6 months left on his deal went to Villa for 3 million. Even Fawaz managed to bag a half decent deal from that one.

Seems a tad low this Hughes figure when you compare the above. Is Ibe even in the England under 23 squad nowadays?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Let's go with your idea of getting rid of skill for big 6.4" type players.

when we were in with a shout of the play offs last year and the window was obviously shut, why didn't Will start then?

You or I don't see training or can see into the mind of Hughes.  He obviously wants Prem football, and another season in the championship seems not to excite him.

But let's blame everyone else, I assume Hughes has stated he doesn't want to go? Oh, hold on, he'd lose money if he asked to go on the transfer list wouldn't he?

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I do expect tht we will see more of the likes of Bennett, Guy, Lowe, Hanson, Rawson this coming season, especially with a few more outgoings.

Said previously that for the academy to work we need to be prepared, when the time is right, to sell our academy players on. This means the next generation can then progress and develop like Hughes got the chance to. As much as we won't like it sometimes it needs to a revolving door for it to work on the pitch and financially.

We have 10 central midfielders including Hanson and Guy I think (Thorne, Hanson, Baird can play there, Johnson, Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Vernam, Elsnik, Guy) . I suspect neither will play a game for us this year. Both will be loaned out (even if we sell Hughes, we'll buy Irvine, Whelan or maybe both)

Lowe is an attacking full back. Rowett prefers solidity it seems. 

On the wings we currently have Ince, Russell, Weimann, Anya, Blackman, Vydra at a push on the left, and Bennett. And we are interested in Boyd I think. I think Bennett is the most likely to get a game of those you mention but it's not nailed on.

Now I'd much prefer we managed to shift a lot of the players we have to create space for these youngsters. But I reckon that'll take another 2 transfer windows

PistoldPete2
32 minutes ago, feisty said:

We have 10 central midfielders including Hanson and Guy I think (Thorne, Hanson, Baird can play there, Johnson, Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Vernam, Elsnik, Guy) . I suspect neither will play a game for us this year. Both will be loaned out (even if we sell Hughes, we'll buy Irvine, Whelan or maybe both)

Lowe is an attacking full back. Rowett prefers solidity it seems. 

On the wings we currently have Ince, Russell, Weimann, Anya, Blackman, Vydra at a push on the left, and Bennett. And we are interested in Boyd I think. I think Bennett is the most likely to get a game of those you mention but it's not nailed on.

Now I'd much prefer we managed to shift a lot of the players we have to create space for these youngsters. But I reckon that'll take another 2 transfer windows

Assuming hughes is sold in this fire sale, We are now in need of major surgery. Rowett  says we can get two or three new players but we will need those just to replace hughes, leave alone fixing real problems with the midfield that existed without sacrificing hughes.

rowett says he wants young , hungry players. Well hughes is our youngest and still looks like he would benefit from a few steak dinners.

our management seems full of BS at the moment. 

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I hear what your saying buddy

but it quite simply just kills me, that we are in effect exchanging probably one our clubs best youth products ever produced in order to keep hold of johnson and butterfield, had we not spunked some 10 odd million up the wall on those two id wager Hughes would be going nowhere, its just sad that is all.

my problem is, actually how good is our accademy, lets not muck about clough did the leg work on this and weve produced nothing bar i think lowe that he wasnt involved in developing

even charles Vernon whos being talked about a lot was his signing. 

But at that time no one was expecting promotion, will mel give rowett the time and leanency to bed these kids in and be able to deal with his ruthless emotions when maybe they let us down due to the inconsistencies of youth?

only reason i question our accademy is i look at the dogs and since wev had Hughes, hendrick and lets say at a push lowe and bennett although the latter hasnt really established himself in the first team squad

theyve produced,

bereton, worrell, osborn, burke, the gk - foget his name but pulled off a wonder save to basically keep them up, lascelles and darlow

Maybe it was their circumstances that their big signings under previous mamagers were so poor they had no choice to bed the kids....... hmm maybe thats what we should have done lol

Archived