Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Budgie895 said:

If Will Hughes is as good as We think He His, surely a big Premiership club would have come in for Him by now, Watford finished 4th from bottom and will be battling relegation again this coming season,

Watford are still a premier league side "big" or not!

And at the quoted price they must think he can make them better than they are now.

And no matter what if they finish fourth bottom again they will still make more money and finish higher than we can this coming year.

And that's because they are a premier league club. 

As I have said many times William is the best player we have had for a great number of years, a generation of Derby fans haven't seen anyone even close to him...I am gutted that he is going...but also delighted that he is making the leap up to the promised land. He will be amazing there and will surely get a bigger money move to a bigger club within a couple of years. 

Rubbish amount of money we got for him, but good luck to him....I will cry myself to sleep tonight and dream of that goal he scored against Brighton in the play offs.... 

thanks for the memories William, now god speed young man, make a name for yourself. 

I feel quite sad about this to be honest. Had hoped Will would be with us all the way to the Prem. It'll be a huge loss to us and I hope it doesn't signify a move away from playing creative attacking football on the deck. £8m doesn't feel quite enough for a player of Hughes' unique talents.

This is football though and players move on. I'd have just rather sold a couple of others first and built our midfield around him.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

on another note Watford need home grown players for their squad as they have hardly any and it limits how many 'others' can be name in a match day squad, 

Which is why we were done with our signing of Vydra and Anya. Amazingly funny (not) to see us give away something they need so cheaply.

I can't see the sense in selling hughes for such a small sum. 

If it was £15mil i would say fair enough. But he is 22 this team is old enough as it is to then go and sell another young midfielder for a pathetic £8mil.

He is an U21 player as well. Watford have totally taken us to the cleaners especially with Anya and Vydra.

Sometimes this club really frustrates me. 1 step forwards 2 steps back since clough jr left.

It's depressing that fans seem to think a good player has to run a lot and be physical and never pass the ball sideways, regardless if there is no options ahead of them. We'll never get a player as good as Hughes in midfield for a long time and we'll regret this transfer when he gets sold for triple that. 

ive heard for years how good he is and he was going to man u , liverpool etc , hes a right good player but please nowhere near good enough for the top teams ,brave decison by rowett but i believe the correct one , hes no been good enough to take derby up in the 5 years ive watched the rams so things need to change ,ince can go next for me and let rowett bring in his own players to take this team to the premiership  

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

It's depressing that fans seem to think a good player has to run a lot and be physical and never pass the ball sideways, regardless if there is no options ahead of them. We'll never get a player as good as Hughes in midfield for a long time and we'll regret this transfer when he gets sold for triple that. 

If Hughes was great then why haven't any top teams come in for him recently? He's a talent, anyone denying that don't understand the game but he doesn't do enough for me. If we still had McClaren, I'd keep him because he suits 4-3-3 but now we are playing 4-2-3-1, the need for Hughes is less important. 

Thorne's far more influential to our side than Hughes. We won't miss Hughes as much as some think because we have a ready made replacement in Butterfield if we wish to switch to 4-3-3 for one game.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes. I would. However, Derby isn't a rival with Liverpool. So it's a null point. A player who has been at the club for 5+ years cares more than a new signing, or somebody who has only been here a year. That's just logical. 

Sorry but think you're wrong - not always but time at a club doesn't automatically mean greater affinity to that club. It very much depends on the individual. Anyone looking at Bent and Nugent would think that Nugent has more feel for the club.

A couple of things come to mind:

1) I've got no more love for Hughes than I have for any other Derby player. All of them can come and go for me. Buxton and Barker were the pinnacle of player/fan relationships - both went and we moved on. 

2) The fee reported is absolutely shambles. I'm pretty sure it won't be the figure, because we look like saps even considering it. I'm sure Morris, of all people, will not accept it. He will accept Hughes going, but not at that amount. We paid roughly that to lay all the pitches, didn't we? Or something to do with the groundwork at the training ground.  

3) all depends on the replacement. We could get £1m for him and replace him with a better player, somehow. We could also get £25m and replace him with worse. The replacement ultimately judges just how successful this transfer move is - for us. 

11 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I feel quite sad about this to be honest. Had hoped Will would be with us all the way to the Prem. It'll be a huge loss to us and I hope it doesn't signify a move away from playing creative attacking football on the deck. £8m doesn't feel quite enough for a player of Hughes' unique talents.

This is football though and players move on. I'd have just rather sold a couple of others first and built our midfield around him.

As much as I hope it doesn't see a move away from creative attacking football on the deck, I think this is a pretty big signal that the plan is too move away from it. 

Best go buy a neck brace I guess.

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Reasonable point and next season Butterfield will now be our second substitute in most matches 

Actually Pearson sold our best midfielder last summer in Hendrick 

on another note Watford need home grown players for their squad as they have hardly any and it limits how many 'others' can be name in a match day squad, 

You thought Hendrick was our best midfielder? Blimey - must be sunstroke!

10 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

It's depressing that fans seem to think a good player has to run a lot and be physical and never pass the ball sideways, regardless if there is no options ahead of them. We'll never get a player as good as Hughes in midfield for a long time and we'll regret this transfer when he gets sold for triple that

Unless we have activated one brain cell with this deal and added a 20% sell on clause

Archived